Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2023, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
Methods to bypass flight credit restrictions (primarily being unable to use them on Basic Economy tickets)

Inspired by United thread wiki: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...redit-ffc.html
Print Wikipost

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2020, 1:32 am

Programs: Aer Lingus AerClub Concierge, BA Silver
Originally Posted by hkcj
Since it's not entirely clear to me: if I cancel a flight, is the expiration a year from when I cancel, or a year from when I booked it?
I also have this question. I cancelled flights in Oct (booked in March) and got a voucher. Do I now need to travel by March 2021, or Dec 2021? The wording ‘flights cancelled due to COVID19’ ’ is not clear - does this mean flights I cancelled or flights AA cancelled?
Old Nov 24, 2020, 12:03 pm

Ticket pending ?

Originally Posted by Often1
AA has zero incentive here. The breakage on credits / vouchers and other funny money is high to begin with. Paper increases it.

But, as noted, we are talking about the cost of a stamp, so it is hardly a disincentive to someone motivated.
I used a voucher (no PIN) to book a domestic RT. The CSR who handled the reservation seemed to be quite knowledgeable and provided me with the locator number for the trip. She verified the code on the document and told me to send it to the AA headquarters ( 1 Skyview Drive, MD8A701., Ft. Worth, Texas 76155).
Tracking confirmed AA received it over a week ago.
My itinerary on aa.com still shows ticket pending for next week's trip. .How long should I expect to wait until the ticket is "issued"?

Update : Ticket was issued 14 days after receipt in AA offices in Ft. Worth. Six days before departure.

Last edited by worldwidetraveler; Nov 30, 2020 at 8:42 am Reason: add info
Old Nov 27, 2020, 9:54 am

I booked a flight earlier this month for travel next month. If I rebook for a cheaper ticket today, but later have to cancel the trip altogether, do I have one large voucher I can use on one ticket? Or will have two vouchers I’ll have to use on two separate tickets?
Old Dec 3, 2020, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
I had a flight credit for BUD-LAS, originally purchased in HUF. I wasn't able to rebook over the phone because of the currency, although the agent was able to put my new flights in the system, just wasn't able to ticket and provide a HUF denominated voucher for the remainder. I went to SFO and they were able to ticket the new itinerary and print out a paper voucher for the remainder all in the space of about 5 minutes. The agent said it was actually really easy! Why is there such a gap in capabilities between aa.com, the call centers, and the airport ticket desk? I'm probably going to end up using my HUF denominated voucher by purchasing at the airport as well, since it seems to be the easiest way to do anything non-standard.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 5:13 am

Programs: Aer Lingus AerClub Concierge, BA Silver
I called and booked a flight busing a credit and the agent told me I’d receive a voucher for the balance in the mail. Can I call back and use the balance now based on my original ticket number or do I need to wait for the paper voucher to arrive?
Old Dec 11, 2020, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
I tried to use some credits for an EU originating flight in 2018 and was told I couldn't. I ended up using those credits for another itinerary.

Now, I have some significant credits and am starting to plan 2021 flights. One of these will be TATL (CGD-PHL & PHL-...-PSA) in late 2021. Does anyone know if AA has eliminated the restriction for using flight credits for itineraries originating in the EU?
Old Dec 11, 2020, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by JMN57
I tried to use some credits for an EU originating flight in 2018 and was told I couldn't. I ended up using those credits for another itinerary.

Now, I have some significant credits and am starting to plan 2021 flights. One of these will be TATL (CGD-PHL & PHL-...-PSA) in late 2021. Does anyone know if AA has eliminated the restriction for using flight credits for itineraries originating in the EU?
To reply to my own email. Called AA and got some answers.

I have an $800 credit for an itinerary originating in MXP last year - that can be used against an ex-EU itinerary if it is priced in EUR. (Good)

I have the return for MXP-JFK (1/10/20 flown) JFK-MXP (4/22 - not flown) that they can't tell me the value but whatever value it has is only good on a US-EU one-way (PROBABLY A THROW AWAY)

The 2018 no was for a flight voucher (for cancelled/delayed flight in US) that they would not let me apply to an ex-EU itnerary.

It seems there's no simple answer for credits.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 11:46 am

I have a 25% off promotion code that I received by email from Barclays. I also have a flight credit.

Is it possible to use both the promotion code and the flight credit when booking a flight? I ask because once I enter the promo code, the option to add a flight credit seems to disappear.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 10:43 am

Travel credit on voluntary cancel

I used an eVoucher to book a cheap I fare.
Now, I no longer need this ticket.

What's the best way to handle a voluntary cancellation these days with AA?
Should I wait for a sched change to get a clean refund to a new eVoucher?
Or, is there some way to cancel today and get AA to refund to a new eVoucher.

EXP status, if that matters.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 4:59 am

Here is my case: I bought tickets JFK-SFO with an American Express Platinum discount, and got a $200 credit to my card account, using their website. Now I must cancel because of the lockdown in the Bay area. I feel that if I call AmEx it will be a slow and painful process, and I probably cannot do it on the website. Can I cancel the flight on AA.com or by calling AA and get a flight credit ?

Then when I will rebook, will I have to deal with AmEx or can I call AA directly? AmEx is usually cheaper but I rarely get a knowledgeable and efficient agent.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
when it is your scheduled flight departing.. who knows .. with all the schedule changes... you might get lucky and get your money back..
Old Dec 23, 2020, 7:10 am

Hi all, skimmed the thread but didn't see an answer.

Two questions
1. if I cancel the return leg (outbound leg already flown), do I get any credit for the unused value?
2. can I change the return leg
3. I want to change 2 out of 3 passengers on the return leg and leave the other passenger unchanged. Possible? If not, can I cancel 2 out of 3 return pax (assuming any residual value).

Thanks!
Old Dec 27, 2020, 3:43 pm

I am looking for guidance on a trip that I booked pre-COVID for travel in September 2020. I used $850 in a travel voucher (volunteered to be bumped from a flight) and $250 out-of-pocket for the reservation. The flights were RDU (Raleigh)-LIN (Milan) and VCE (Venice)-RDU (Raleigh).

AA canceled the flight from VCE and did not book me on another return flight. As the pandemic continued, AA also canceled the flight from LHR-LIN and did not book me on another flight. AA also automatically rebooked my other flights several times. In the end, my reservation only consisted of a flight from RDU-LHR and a return flight from PHL-RDU with no flights to/from Italy. I ended up canceling my reservation a week before the trip since AA left me with no flights to/from Italy and there was a travel ban for Americans traveling to/from Italy. AA automatically issued a flight credit.

My questions are, can I request a refund since flights to/from the destination were canceled and I was not rebooked on alternate flights and if so, how would it be refunded (i.e. full refund, reissued voucher and partial refund)? If the voucher is reissued, will I have 12 months to book a new flight with the voucher? As a high risk person, I doubt that I will be able to travel in 2021. In addition, will I have an opportunity to provide an explanation as to why I am requesting a refund through the online form or should I call instead?

Thank you in advance.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 6:21 am

Using an American Airlines travel credit

Can you use an American Airlines travel credit to book flights on Alaska Airlines?
Old Jan 14, 2021, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by wesport
Can you use an American Airlines travel credit to book flights on Alaska Airlines?
I have enough trouble trying to use them for an AA flight.
1. Was told that after some date in Oct 2020, you cannot use credit from a Basic ticket toward an Main Cabin ticket
2. Was told I cannot use a Main Cabin credit for a Basic ticket
3. Was told I cannot use a credit for a ticket for the BOGO offer the other day.
4. Others here have reported issues
I think it is time to communicate with DOT. When I requested the flight credits, there was nothing stating they could be applied only to certain tickets. The only restriction I read about was the credit could only be used to purchase a ticket.

Last edited by mvoight; Jan 14, 2021 at 6:54 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.