Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Old Mar 30, 2023, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
Methods to bypass flight credit restrictions (primarily being unable to use them on Basic Economy tickets)

Inspired by United thread wiki: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...redit-ffc.html
Print Wikipost

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Old Jun 18, 2021, 9:58 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by radiowell
I was able to use multiple Trip Credits online, just now. This is a nice development.
Were they all in one name or across multiple people? I used a voucher to pay for tickets for 3 pax and, when cancelled, got the voucher value back as Trip Credits, but in each passenger's name. Hoping that I can use the three all together when I want to use them.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by bosman
Were they all in one name or across multiple people? I used a voucher to pay for tickets for 3 pax and, when cancelled, got the voucher value back as Trip Credits, but in each passenger's name. Hoping that I can use the three all together when I want to use them.
They were all under my name, so I don't have a data point yet for multiple people.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 10:51 am

We could not book three people in one booking online, with one passenger who had trip credit, and 2 who had travel vouchers. We were able to book the 2 people together with the travel vouchers. And then had to book the person with the credit on a separate booking. This was end of April.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 1:43 am

Programs: Nectar Card
If you cancel a trip (Main Cabin) paid for by a flight credit and a cc-payment, does the entirety of the ticket come back as some sort of credit/voucher (whether one or several)? Or is that original flight credit now gone-gone?

Curious, because the confirmation email was a bit funky on the payment breakdown, and I may have to cancel the ticket. I thought it would say something like:
  • Fare: $100
  • Taxes and Fees: $20
  • Flight Credit #1 (001xxx...): --$70
  • CC Payment: --$50
  • Total: $120
But instead, it reduced the "official" fare of the ticket:
  • Fare: $30
  • Taxes and Fees: $20
  • CC Payment: --$50
  • Total: $50
My pessimistic guess is that "Flight Credit #1" can't come back. (My optimistic guess is it can, and this is something that the Twitter team can solve, if it comes to it.)
Old Jun 24, 2021, 11:35 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
What fare codes are refundable back to the orginal form of payment instead of travel credit? I've tried to look and I've just gotten discussion of how refundable fares work without telling you which specific fare codes are fully refundable. I have a fare class K ticket, I see it earns 100% EQM but I'm unclear if that means it's fully refundable or not.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Honors Diamond,Amex Platinum
Help with AA Flight Credit

I'm looking for some help with x2 flights cancelled for credit.

Background: British citizen, was supposed to be travelling to US this summer, due to restrictions have been forced to cancel x 2 domestic US flights with AA.
All flights were booked on AA.co.uk and billed in GBP
Flight 1 was for x3 PAX (myself, husband and son-15) value 950GBP
Flight 2 was for x2 PAX (myself and husband) value 1100GBP

I want to book a trip for this October PHL-MCO return and found that when I came to pay the option to apply the credit was unavailable.

Therefore I called reservations via the UK number which I think routes to the US.

I spent over an hour on the phone to the agent who:

a) could not see the pricing I could see online
b) told me that as myself, my husband were on both PNRs and our son on just one, she would have to split out the new bookings as x2 so that myself and husband on one and our son (15) on the other

She was unable to do any of this and as I say after a frustrating hour on the phone, I just had to go with a plan to gather information before calling back again.

My queries are - is it correct that even though we have PAX A, B and C on one flight credit and PAX A and B on the second flight credit, we have to split A & B on one booking and PAX C on a second booking? I was considering making the booking online, putting a hold on it and calling to ask them to apply the credits... but don 't want to do this if they're going to just say "no we can't do that".

Is it better to try and convert these flight credit, which appear quite restrictive, into some different kind of voucher that would be easier for us to use?

If this were an experienced AA flyer, what would you do to try and solve the problem and make the new booking?!

I hope I've made sense and also hope someone can give me a steer before calling up again.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AF apologist
quick question: yesterday, I booked a JFK-MVD for next spring. Good fare and I decided (after booking) to go ahead and upgrade to J. Once ticketed, I went to "change ticket" to do so, but website said that it could not be done on-line (perhaps due to GOL flight from GRU-MVD).

I went ahead and cancelled ticket (done about 4 hours after initial purchase, once I verified that the refund would be issued automatically). Credit card charge is still pending, so I assume that will resolve itself.

However, when I search for the locator number under "my trips" (not listed otherwise), it says I have been issued a flight credit (not refund). Before calling (long wait times), I assume that is an error and it will be refunded (instead) by AA?

Many thanks,
Old Jun 29, 2021, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by thegamebird
I'm looking for some help with x2 flights cancelled for credit.

Background: British citizen, was supposed to be travelling to US this summer, due to restrictions have been forced to cancel x 2 domestic US flights with AA.
All flights were booked on AA.co.uk and billed in GBP
Flight 1 was for x3 PAX (myself, husband and son-15) value 950GBP
Flight 2 was for x2 PAX (myself and husband) value 1100GBP

I want to book a trip for this October PHL-MCO return and found that when I came to pay the option to apply the credit was unavailable.

Therefore I called reservations via the UK number which I think routes to the US.

I spent over an hour on the phone to the agent who:

a) could not see the pricing I could see online
b) told me that as myself, my husband were on both PNRs and our son on just one, she would have to split out the new bookings as x2 so that myself and husband on one and our son (15) on the other

She was unable to do any of this and as I say after a frustrating hour on the phone, I just had to go with a plan to gather information before calling back again.

My queries are - is it correct that even though we have PAX A, B and C on one flight credit and PAX A and B on the second flight credit, we have to split A & B on one booking and PAX C on a second booking? I was considering making the booking online, putting a hold on it and calling to ask them to apply the credits... but don 't want to do this if they're going to just say "no we can't do that".

Is it better to try and convert these flight credit, which appear quite restrictive, into some different kind of voucher that would be easier for us to use?

If this were an experienced AA flyer, what would you do to try and solve the problem and make the new booking?!

I hope I've made sense and also hope someone can give me a steer before calling up again.
I have had agents tell me a fare was not available via the telephone when I clearly saw it on line - this was last Fall when you had to call to use your flight credits. Maddening, agent claimed there was no such thing as Main Economy vs Basic Economy for an International flight. Only Basic Economy.

I would try to see if online you can book one person at a time. You can just test it out to see if the use flight credit option pops up with just one person for the reservation. If this works, this would result in 3 separate bookings, seats together could be an issue. But if it's the only way to get the tickets you want, it's worth exploring.
thegamebird likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
I was excited because it looked like it was possible to use trip credit online again, but apparently not my particular trip credits, which give a "cannot be redeemed online" error. I guess I will try calling in the next few days, hopefully schedules will stabilize somewhat by autumn, but right now I consider everything more than a month out to be essentially fantasy so no rush to book.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by zymm
I was excited because it looked like it was possible to use trip credit online again, but apparently not my particular trip credits, which give a "cannot be redeemed online" error. I guess I will try calling in the next few days, hopefully schedules will stabilize somewhat by autumn, but right now I consider everything more than a month out to be essentially fantasy so no rush to book.
It was actually pretty painless, only a 3 minute wait on hold then very quick to apply the credit. Would still be nice if the online functionality actually worked though. I've spent way too much time on the phone to airlines in this past year!
Old Jul 7, 2021, 11:23 pm

Had to change my flight and had to call because flight credit was originally part of roundtrip, agent booked new flight and now both flights show as valid in my trips, in other words the first flight does not appear to be canceled
Old Jul 10, 2021, 3:37 pm

It seems we can only use our flight credit within the US even though we had originally purchased tickets to Germany (December 2019). I can't believe this. Any way around this?
Old Jul 11, 2021, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist (marriage perk)
Any chance AA will extend the Jan 31st 2021 deadline to use credit. We have an unused flight to Europe but we can really only go in the Spring and Europe was in the lock down this year. I'm not quite sure how to proceed given that it seems they force you to complete travel by Dec 31st 2021.

Edit: Just called AA EXP Line and the agent told me that these unused segments/tickets have to be flown by Mar 31st 2022 rather than Dec 31st 2021. It has to have the same point of origin and the same destination. MODs might want to update the main post/wiki: https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...vel-credit.jsp

Last edited by outgoing; Jul 11, 2021 at 1:53 pm
Old Jul 11, 2021, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
BTW, you can only use 1 "credit thing" per flight.
I had both flight credit (that does not expire) and Citi-AA $125 voucher/discount (after $20K+ charge in a year) that valid for 1 year.
Value-wise I could use both together for the ticket, but I had to select one!
Old Jul 16, 2021, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by outgoing
Any chance AA will extend the Jan 31st 2021 deadline to use credit. We have an unused flight to Europe but we can really only go in the Spring and Europe was in the lock down this year. I'm not quite sure how to proceed given that it seems they force you to complete travel by Dec 31st 2021.

Edit: Just called AA EXP Line and the agent told me that these unused segments/tickets have to be flown by Mar 31st 2022 rather than Dec 31st 2021. It has to have the same point of origin and the same destination. MODs might want to update the main post/wiki: https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...vel-credit.jsp
Flight credits do not have to be used for the original origin or destination. I have never used flight credits for the same origin and destination
That's not even a logical response as many people have used them to fly to other destination when their original destination was closed.
I have had quite a few experiences with travel credit, due to cruise cancelations. Last month I had to change destinations for on booking to Genoa, to Amsterdam, and to Athens. Due to the original ticket being a cheap business calls changing to premium economy, I had enough left over to fly DFW to Seattle in a couple of weeks for a cruise to Seattle. The Athens trip is in Sept. It is ABSOLUTELY not a requirement to have the same city pairs for a flight credit. In fact, you can use a flight credit for a ticket costing much less and get the remaining value as a trip credit valid for a year from the date after using the flight credit.

Last edited by mvoight; Jul 16, 2021 at 6:03 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.