Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2023, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
Methods to bypass flight credit restrictions (primarily being unable to use them on Basic Economy tickets)

Inspired by United thread wiki: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...redit-ffc.html
Print Wikipost

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2021, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Yes, you can.
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old Nov 1, 2021, 5:45 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Originally Posted by wrp96
Need to use a flight credit for a trip next week, but won’t let me use it online. Frustrating especially when AA is having operational issues like today.
Indeed...quite frustrating.

It looks like they removed the capability to use a trip credit online. Those blue boxes one used to click to use the voucher on the payment screen are gone.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 9:23 pm

What a clusterf....
I had two paper travel vouchers which I have tried to apply to a reservation on hold.
The vouchers were applied when i rang reservations and gave them the details and the correct cash balance was charged to my credit card. I was given an address in Sydney to mail the vouchers to within 7 days
The ticket has been pending for 5 weeks now
Rang reservations today and they tell me that the record shows that they have only received one of the two paper vouchers.
So, it seems that Penn and Teller have been at work and removed one voucher from a sealed envelope leaving the envelope intact.

Edit : I take 47% of the above complaint back. After my 3rd call and being told to ring back in 3 days, 6 hrs later my ticket was issued. Maybe someone in Sydney went and looked on their desk and found the second voucher.
I sure hope I don't ever get another paper voucher

Last edited by 3544quebec; Nov 3, 2021 at 2:43 am
Old Nov 3, 2021, 4:43 pm

Did customer service get it wrong when they denied trip in vain for my own way ticket ?

they said it had to be round trip tickets but doesn’t look like it.

a to b to c

get stick in b due to aa nightmare. Just want to go back to a.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CLT

It looks like they removed the capability to use a trip credit online. Those blue boxes one used to click to use the voucher on the payment screen are gone.
Just tried to apply trip credit (not flight credit) to a couple of new tickets we need to buy. It gives me the option to apply flight credit, but not trip credit! And when I enter the trip credit numbers, it errors out! What on earth, AA? Why is it that every little thing is such a PITA with this damn airline?
Old Nov 9, 2021, 7:37 pm

I've read through this thread to the point of getting a migraine and, sadly, it's still clear as mud. Any guidance/advice would be appreciated:
  • I booked tickets in Guadeloupe in April 2021, thinking that my AA main cabin flights were "flexible" - I know, my own fault
  • France situation with Pass Sanitaire is a mess, especially on islands, so decided to cancel the ticket. I immediately received my cancellation email with flight credit details
  • I foolishly assumed that I could rebook new travel until April 2022. Wrong, I need to BEGIN travel by April 2022
  • I've made other plans for winter and spring travel so don't have any immediate use for the flight credit
Do I have any options here? It doesn't appear they can be extended, right? As others have asked, if I book a cheap flight to Des Moines or South Bend, will the rest of the value be reissued as a flight credit? Does that extend the value? If not, can I book a new ticket and then attempt to change the date to something past the date of the flight credit expiry? I'm beyond frustrated - United, Air France, Austrian, and Delta have made cancellations, refunds, and flexibility so easy. This does little to build loyalty to AA. Thanks for any feedback or advice.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 5:25 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I got offered the choice of trip credit (if I provide a US address) or a transportation voucher (if I provide my EU address) to CS.
Any reason to pick one over the other?
Old Nov 12, 2021, 4:50 am

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by mvoight
What kind of voucher? I used a Flight credit, set to expire in September for a late December trip.
This was a Flight Credit and not a Trip Credit? I have some imminently expiring Flights Credits and of course, being able to travel on them post-expiration would be super helpful.

Originally Posted by javabytes
While that is generally true, two things to consider... most flight credits now expire 3/31/2022. Converting them to trip credits now won’t buy you much of an extension. If I was faced with an expiring flight credit I’d do this closer to expiration. AA may yet extend flight credits again, whereas no such flexibility has yet been demonstrated with eVouchers or trip credits.

Also, be aware that trip credits can only be used for single passenger reservations. So you cannot book multiple people on the same PNR and use trip credits. An annoying limitation that is not imposed for flight credits.
Not OP, but is there a process to convert Flight Credits to Trip Credits? (Or is just ad-hoc, mostly by using their catch-all of the complaint form on their website?)
Old Nov 14, 2021, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Canceled and only received Flight Credit

I booked MIA-CDG/ORY-DME (AA on first flight, S7 on second)
Class was M (Economy)
Booking was made 2 weeks before flight date and canceled in 2 hours (less than the 24 hour requirement)
However, instead of info stating I was getting a refund, we see flight credits in our accounts

The email acknowledging the cancelation noted:
"Canceled within 24 hours of initial ticket purchase, and at least 2 days before departure, we’ll process your refund automatically."
"Booked a Basic Economy fare on or after April 1, 2021, your ticket is non-refundable and non-changeable."
At then end:
"For most other canceled trips, your ticket has remaining value and we issued you a Flight Credit. You can
look up your Flight Credit on aa.com with your ticket number or view credit in your wallet if you're an AAdvantage® member.
Keep this email which includes your ticket number needed when you’re ready to rebook."
<Following this was our names and ticket numbers>

Am I missing something? It was not booked more than 2 days in advance, canceled within 24 hours, and not a BASIC ticket...........
So, why did we get flight credit?
Edit: I applied for refunds for the tickets and got it approved, just wondering why they showed up as flight credits.
My understanding is by law, tickets purchased 7 days or more in advanced must be refunded if canceled within 24 hours (AA policy is better, in allowing a refund if purchased at least 2 days in advance)
In the past, they were processing for a refund as soon as I had canceled, never noticed them as trip credits before.

Last edited by mvoight; Nov 15, 2021 at 10:28 am
Old Nov 15, 2021, 2:41 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by mvoight
[...] Am I missing something? It was not booked more than 2 days in advance, canceled within 24 hours, and not a BASIC ticket...........
So, why did we get flight credit?
Edit: I applied for refunds for the tickets and got it approved, just wondering why they showed up as flight credits.
My understanding is by law, tickets purchased 7 days or more in advanced must be refunded if canceled within 24 hours (AA policy is better, in allowing a refund if purchased at least 2 days in advance)
In the past, they were processing for a refund as soon as I had canceled, never noticed them as trip credits before.
Could be wrong, but I think their most recent cancellation-process is to shunt all cancelled tickets to 'flight credit' first. Then [I think] they run a separate process to convert tickets with certain conditions (like cancellation within 24 hours) to be auto-credited. At least that's how it was with my cancelled-within-24-hours ticket, once: automatically went from flight credit to refund in a few days.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 5:49 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by CLT

Ok so this isn't just me then - I have been going slightly crazy trying to find the blue buttons to apply a Flight Credit (two actually, for two pax) when it comes to the payment screen and not seeing them anywhere!

Is there anything obvious I am doing wrong? Search for flights as normal, select desired flights, enter passenger details and then reach payment screen?

I have put the reservation on hold in the meantime so I guess I just need to call in and complete payment and application of the Flight Credits with an agent....
renila likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 9:38 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by AAguy1979
I've read through this thread to the point of getting a migraine and, sadly, it's still clear as mud. Any guidance/advice would be appreciated:
  • I booked tickets in Guadeloupe in April 2021, thinking that my AA main cabin flights were "flexible" - I know, my own fault
  • France situation with Pass Sanitaire is a mess, especially on islands, so decided to cancel the ticket. I immediately received my cancellation email with flight credit details
  • I foolishly assumed that I could rebook new travel until April 2022. Wrong, I need to BEGIN travel by April 2022
  • I've made other plans for winter and spring travel so don't have any immediate use for the flight credit
Do I have any options here? It doesn't appear they can be extended, right? As others have asked, if I book a cheap flight to Des Moines or South Bend, will the rest of the value be reissued as a flight credit? Does that extend the value? If not, can I book a new ticket and then attempt to change the date to something past the date of the flight credit expiry? I'm beyond frustrated - United, Air France, Austrian, and Delta have made cancellations, refunds, and flexibility so easy. This does little to build loyalty to AA. Thanks for any feedback or advice.
Yes, if you book a cheap flight, the residual will be issued to you as flight credit with one-year expiration from date of issue (so waiting until April to book the flight will give you the most time). Unless it is a flight you can actually use, you'll wind up eating the ~$30 (or whatever the cheapest fare you can find is), but a small price to pay to preserve value of an expensive ticket for another year.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 4MM; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CLT

I wish they would update the information provided in the wallet section of my account, which says that I can simply apply the trip credit once I get to the payment screen. I got there, and applying trip credit is not an option. Thought I did something wrong, and went through entire process again, but same result. Put ticket on hold, and will see if they can apply when I call in. How goofy is this? You'd think they'd want to avoid a call to an agent to apply a trip credit that another part of their website knows about...

--woodstock
Old Nov 21, 2021, 11:26 am

Over 4-Hour Hold Time

I just called AA to redeem flight credits for a booking on hold. I was advised that the wait time for a call-back is over four hours, and I would not lose my place in the queue. I am afraid the booking might expire by the time they call back. You would think they would have a way to use the flight credits for bookings made on line, so as not to take up valuable rep time.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 1:16 pm

Programs: CK or bust
In true AA fashion, there are several types of "credit things" detailed here, each with their on limitations.

Flight credits are the most restrictive (only one per pax) while its counterparts are more generous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.