Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Old Mar 30, 2023, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
Methods to bypass flight credit restrictions (primarily being unable to use them on Basic Economy tickets)

Inspired by United thread wiki: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...redit-ffc.html
Print Wikipost

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Old Aug 25, 2021, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by S80
When I canceled a flight booked on credit, I'm pretty sure the new credit expiry was 1 year from issue (the day I cancelled the flight).
Flights booked with Flight Credit expire when the original flight credit expires.
I suspect the flights booked so far have been with that flight credit, although I suspect the change to Hawaii from Japan, also gave them trip credit, which expires one year after the trip credit was issued. If OP has flight credit expiring in December, I cancel just before the current travel date, if the dont plan on going anywhere soon.
Then, they can book a cheap ticket to anywhere, before the flight credit expires, and that will give them a trip credit good for another year
The expiration date for flight credits and trip credits show in your account wallet at aa.com

Last edited by mvoight; Aug 25, 2021 at 4:14 am
Old Aug 25, 2021, 8:44 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by mvoight
Flights booked with Flight Credit expire when the original flight credit expires.
I suspect the flights booked so far have been with that flight credit, although I suspect the change to Hawaii from Japan, also gave them trip credit, which expires one year after the trip credit was issued. If OP has flight credit expiring in December, I cancel just before the current travel date, if the dont plan on going anywhere soon.
Then, they can book a cheap ticket to anywhere, before the flight credit expires, and that will give them a trip credit good for another year
The expiration date for flight credits and trip credits show in your account wallet at aa.com
What happens if you convert a flight credit to a refundable ticket (perhaps paying more), and then cancel that ticket?
Old Aug 25, 2021, 9:30 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by siankaan1
What happens if you convert a flight credit to a refundable ticket (perhaps paying more), and then cancel that ticket?
The non-refundable portion remains non-refundable and will become a new flight credit.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 4:28 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
A Flight Credit is "Valid for travel wholly within or between the U.S., Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands only when booking on aa.com (U.S. currency only)."
Can I call reservations (shudder) and use it to book a trip outside the US?
Old Aug 25, 2021, 8:40 pm

I had booked a trip for my parents who don't have AAdvantage accounts that I might need to cancel. If I cancel, they would normally get Flight Credits (which seem like they normally get tied to your AAdvantage account) but how does it work if they don't have Advantage accounts? (I realize I could create accounts for them, but cynically I'm wondering if I can get a refund or a less restrictive voucher in this case.) Ultimately I just don't want whatever credit I get out of this to be lost in the void.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 12:39 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by LlamaJesus
I had booked a trip for my parents who don't have AAdvantage accounts that I might need to cancel. If I cancel, they would normally get Flight Credits (which seem like they normally get tied to your AAdvantage account) but how does it work if they don't have Advantage accounts? (I realize I could create accounts for them, but cynically I'm wondering if I can get a refund or a less restrictive voucher in this case.) Ultimately I just don't want whatever credit I get out of this to be lost in the void.
I'm pretty sure that whether they have an AAdvantage account or not is irrelevant. Having an account makes it easier to find your information because it's stored in your online "wallet."
Old Aug 26, 2021, 12:49 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Clarifying Travel Funds

I have cancelled several trips, which by the time I'm done will result in 5 flight credits ranging in value from $250 to $1000. The tickets were originally booked in mid-March, April, and June of 2021. I am planning to take one trip in December which is not yet booked, and hopefully a few more early next year. I would be traveling regularly if not for COVID and I'm hopefully - as I think we all are - that things will get better over the next 6-12 months.

Is the following a sensible strategy: To book my December trip and anything I take in 2022 through mid-March as one-way tickets, using one flight credit for each. As long as I book at least 5 legs, I would be able to use my 5 flight credits, and to the extent that the cost of the ticket does not fully absorb the value of the flight credit, I would get a trip credit for the balance. The trip credits are then valid for a year, the clock starting on the date I used the underlying flight credit, so if I don't book these tickets until this fall, I'd have until fall 2022 to fully use the funds. Naturally I would first use the flight credits with the earliest expiration, in effect FIFO.

Are the trip credits in effect vouchers, and if not fully used, they retain the unused value until they expire?
Old Aug 31, 2021, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrdisco
I just called to use a voucher and the agent told me that travel needed to be completed by March 2022 (I wanted to use it for June 2022). She asked me to lodge a complaint with customer relations to get the validity extended - has anyone else been told this before and if so, were you successful in getting the extension?
What kind of voucher? I used a Flight credit, set to expire in September for a late December trip.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by redtop43
I have cancelled several trips, which by the time I'm done will result in 5 flight credits ranging in value from $250 to $1000. The tickets were originally booked in mid-March, April, and June of 2021. I am planning to take one trip in December which is not yet booked, and hopefully a few more early next year. I would be traveling regularly if not for COVID and I'm hopefully - as I think we all are - that things will get better over the next 6-12 months.

Is the following a sensible strategy: To book my December trip and anything I take in 2022 through mid-March as one-way tickets, using one flight credit for each. As long as I book at least 5 legs, I would be able to use my 5 flight credits, and to the extent that the cost of the ticket does not fully absorb the value of the flight credit, I would get a trip credit for the balance. The trip credits are then valid for a year, the clock starting on the date I used the underlying flight credit, so if I don't book these tickets until this fall, I'd have until fall 2022 to fully use the funds. Naturally I would first use the flight credits with the earliest expiration, in effect FIFO.

Are the trip credits in effect vouchers, and if not fully used, they retain the unused value until they expire?
It was reported on Flyertalk that 2 flight credits can be used for one flight, if you do it over the phone.
Of course, not needed if one covers the cost
Stupid question, but why didn't you use the March credit to buy the April or June tickets?
Old Sep 7, 2021, 7:45 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I have a question about a flight credit and would be grateful for some insight from those more knowledgable than me.

I canceled a flight last week that was for me alone because BA canceled the next part of my trip. The value of this ticket was $1,161.79.

Yesterday I made a new booking for my wife and I and wanted to use this flight credit. I put the new reservation on hold because I wasn't able to redeem the flight credit on line. I then called up to apply the flight credit. The price of reservation on hold was $1,109 which was made up of two tickets of $554.50 for my wife and I.

The lady on the phone advised me that they would use part of my flight credit for my ticket and issue me a voucher for the remainder and then asked me to pay for my wife's ticket. So far so good.

The trouble is that the voucher I received in return was substantially less than I expected. As my flight credit was $1,161.79, I expected to receive a credit for $1,161.79 less the price of my new flight $554.50 which is $607.29. Instead, it came through as $334.79 which is $272.50 lower than expected.

Once I realized this a few minutes after my call to AA I engaged with the Twitter team to try to understand it. After a few iterations of generalities they finally told me the following:

"The fare of $554.50 is the cost available for initial [sic] purchases. When you've got a partially used credit, we'd need to locate a combinable fare that can match. In this case, the fare of $827 was the lowest available that could have been used, so we got the remaining value of $334.79 as a Trip Credit."

They are telling me that they ignored the ticket I had on hold ($554.50) and unilaterally decided that they needed to sell me a higher priced ticket ($827) in order to use my flight credit.

Is this right? Had I known this, I would have paid cash and saved the flight credit for a future ticket that would have consumed it in one go.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 2:07 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by golfmad
I have a question about a flight credit and would be grateful for some insight from those more knowledgable than me.

I canceled a flight last week that was for me alone because BA canceled the next part of my trip. The value of this ticket was $1,161.79.

Yesterday I made a new booking for my wife and I and wanted to use this flight credit. I put the new reservation on hold because I wasn't able to redeem the flight credit on line. I then called up to apply the flight credit. The price of reservation on hold was $1,109 which was made up of two tickets of $554.50 for my wife and I.

The lady on the phone advised me that they would use part of my flight credit for my ticket and issue me a voucher for the remainder and then asked me to pay for my wife's ticket. So far so good.

The trouble is that the voucher I received in return was substantially less than I expected. As my flight credit was $1,161.79, I expected to receive a credit for $1,161.79 less the price of my new flight $554.50 which is $607.29. Instead, it came through as $334.79 which is $272.50 lower than expected.

Once I realized this a few minutes after my call to AA I engaged with the Twitter team to try to understand it. After a few iterations of generalities they finally told me the following:

"The fare of $554.50 is the cost available for initial [sic] purchases. When you've got a partially used credit, we'd need to locate a combinable fare that can match. In this case, the fare of $827 was the lowest available that could have been used, so we got the remaining value of $334.79 as a Trip Credit."

They are telling me that they ignored the ticket I had on hold ($554.50) and unilaterally decided that they needed to sell me a higher priced ticket ($827) in order to use my flight credit.

Is this right? Had I known this, I would have paid cash and saved the flight credit for a future ticket that would have consumed it in one go.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
So they are right that the flight credit can only be used for your ticket, however I've been able to put a flight on hold and pay for it. Does the record locator (the 6 digit code) on the reservation held match the new ticket?
Old Sep 7, 2021, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by S80
So they are right that the flight credit can only be used for your ticket, however I've been able to put a flight on hold and pay for it. Does the record locator (the 6 digit code) on the reservation held match the new ticket?
Yep. The record locator for the trip on hold is the same record locator which now contains only my ticket. Rather than being half the total of the value of the trip on hold it's now for a higher priced ticket. There's a new record locator for my wife which is for a ticket exactly half of the value of the reservation that was on hold.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 2:31 pm
S80

Yep. The record locator for the trip on hold is the same record locator which now contains only my ticket. Rather than being half the total of the value of the trip on hold it's now for a higher priced ticket. There's a new record locator for my wife which is for a ticket exactly half of the value of the reservation that was on hold.
Interesting. I've only been charged differently once, and that was because the price went down, never had an issue when the price went up. I'm definitely not knowledgeable about the system, but that argument of the credit being a combineable fare makes zero sense, as the flight credit should be treated like any other form of payment. I'd HUCA until you find another explanation. Worst case (if the lower fare is still available), you can cancel the new ticket for another flight credit, and pay with cash.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by S80
Interesting. I've only been charged differently once, and that was because the price went down, never had an issue when the price went up. I'm definitely not knowledgeable about the system, but that argument of the credit being a combineable fare makes zero sense, as the flight credit should be treated like any other form of payment. I'd HUCA until you find another explanation. Worst case (if the lower fare is still available), you can cancel the new ticket for another flight credit, and pay with cash.
Thanks. I will try them again.

I had the same idea as you regarding cancelling/rebooking but the fare has gone up by $200. When I put it on hold yesterday it said I had the last two seats at that fare class. I'm wondering whether somehow when they split the reservation on hold and then tried to select me the same fare class for my individual ticket it had gone which is why my ticket ended up being repriced at the higher fare. Is that a workable theory? If so, should that be my responsibility or theirs?
Old Sep 7, 2021, 2:53 pm
S80

Thanks. I will try them again.

I had the same idea as you regarding cancelling/rebooking but the fare has gone up by $200. When I put it on hold yesterday it said I had the last two seats at that fare class. I'm wondering whether somehow when they split the reservation on hold and then tried to select me the same fare class for my individual ticket it had gone which is why my ticket ended up being repriced at the higher fare. Is that a workable theory? If so, should that be my responsibility or theirs?
It's a theory, and since you mentioned that the locators are now split, it's definitely plausible. I can't find any real T&C's for the 24-hour hold, but the extended hold has the following:
If a customer creates a duplicate booking for the same flight / itinerary on aa.com after putting the itinerary on extended hold, the original extended hold fare will be cancelled and the hold fee will not be refunded.
I presume you personally didn't do this.
Using a credit card with a different country's billing address to purchase the ticket than the credit card used for the extended hold purchase would result in the ticket being re-priced.
The extended hold offer is given based on the country associated with the website the customer is using to hold the ticket. If a customer receives an extended hold offer, the country of the credit card billing address used to purchase the extended hold will need to match the country associated with the website in which the customer booked the extended hold. If the country associated with the website and the country associated with the credit card billing address does not match, the extended hold offer/availability may change.
These clearly relate to being charged differently based on the country. I notice your profile lists being both in the US and Scotland - did you use a credit card in the opposite country from which the new ticket is originating in to pay your wife's portion? Did the flight credit's original ticket start in a different country to the new ticket?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.