Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2023, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
Methods to bypass flight credit restrictions (primarily being unable to use them on Basic Economy tickets)

Inspired by United thread wiki: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...redit-ffc.html
Print Wikipost

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2021, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Flight credit stranded with child?

I'm finally trying to use the credits we had for a booking from last Easter, and I see that although I'd put myself and Mini DCA writer on the same reservation, AA's system split the credits between the two of us. This does not make a great deal of sense to me, seeing as how my kid is 10 years old. Am I really going to have to book a flight through her account at some point? Will the system even let me?

(I have the separate problem that I can't seem to use the flight credit in my own account--rebooking from it gets me to a payment screen that does not list the credit at all. Finally, I'm going to want to add my AS MileagePlan number to get the elite benefits from that, so I guess that regardless of the answer to my question above, I am guaranteed to have some quality hold time with AA...)

Update: It did indeed require calling AA and then waiting as a very patient rep applied the credits for me and my kid to this flight, then adding my AS number to the reservation. That was good. Not so good: For whatever reason, the system couldn't keep Mrs. DCA writer on the reservation, resulting in her ticket costing another $50 or so. Not the greatest 36 minutes of my life, nowhere near the worst either.

Last edited by DCA writer; Jul 22, 2021 at 3:03 pm
Old Jul 26, 2021, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by DCA writer
I'm finally trying to use the credits we had for a booking from last Easter, and I see that although I'd put myself and Mini DCA writer on the same reservation, AA's system split the credits between the two of us. This does not make a great deal of sense to me, seeing as how my kid is 10 years old. Am I really going to have to book a flight through her account at some point? Will the system even let me?

(I have the separate problem that I can't seem to use the flight credit in my own account--rebooking from it gets me to a payment screen that does not list the credit at all. Finally, I'm going to want to add my AS MileagePlan number to get the elite benefits from that, so I guess that regardless of the answer to my question above, I am guaranteed to have some quality hold time with AA...)

Update: It did indeed require calling AA and then waiting as a very patient rep applied the credits for me and my kid to this flight, then adding my AS number to the reservation. That was good. Not so good: For whatever reason, the system couldn't keep Mrs. DCA writer on the reservation, resulting in her ticket costing another $50 or so. Not the greatest 36 minutes of my life, nowhere near the worst either.
Couldn't the agent get a supervisor on the line to help with the dropping of the person off the reservation and paying $50 more?
Old Jul 28, 2021, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA, United, Delta
I've tried to read through this thread and use the search but haven't seen this particular situation; I have 4 flight credits (2 in my name, 2 in my daughter's name) from March-April 2020. For some reason the flight credit for one leg of these trips is $215.45 when I look it up by ticket number; but the actual cash value of what I originally paid was $179.48. If I look up the ticket number on the refunds page, it says "eligible for review," which if a refund was awarded would be $179.48 x 2 people refunded. The flight credit value of these two ticket numbers is $215.45 x2. For the other leg of this trip, the flight credit is $170.28 per person; the "refund" value is only $16.48 because this was already changed from the original booking due to Covid; it was changed unilaterally by AA, not me. I am fairly certain that all flights associated with the itinerary were cancelled.

I called AA Reservations hoping to use both flight credits on a new trip that I need to book for September (taking said daughter to college). They told me that I could not do this--despite the website saying "to use two flight credits call Reservations." They say this is because that one of the two flight credits per person involved an international flight (Montreal-Chicago). My question is would I be able to get a full refund for the flight that was $179.48 per person and use the $170.28 per person flight credit to maximize my savings here? Will Reservations tell me for sure if my refund request will be honored even though the airline gave me flight credit (this was March 2020; at the time they weren't offering refunds for cancelled flights, just saying "don't worry your ticket value is safe.") Even though they gave me flight credit, the flight was cancelled--would they not be obligated to honor the refund per DOT?
Old Aug 3, 2021, 6:49 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by zymm
I had a flight credit for BUD-LAS, originally purchased in HUF. I wasn't able to rebook over the phone because of the currency, although the agent was able to put my new flights in the system, just wasn't able to ticket and provide a HUF denominated voucher for the remainder. I went to SFO and they were able to ticket the new itinerary and print out a paper voucher for the remainder all in the space of about 5 minutes. The agent said it was actually really easy! Why is there such a gap in capabilities between aa.com, the call centers, and the airport ticket desk? I'm probably going to end up using my HUF denominated voucher by purchasing at the airport as well, since it seems to be the easiest way to do anything non-standard.
Fascinating that agents at the airport can not only perform the same tasks that call center agents can, but also more capably. Yes, it's a good question.

Btw, you were able to ticket a new flight (denominated in USD) using your HUF voucher?

Originally Posted by JMN57
To reply to my own email. Called AA and got some answers.

I have an $800 credit for an itinerary originating in MXP last year - that can be used against an ex-EU itinerary if it is priced in EUR. (Good)

I have the return for MXP-JFK (1/10/20 flown) JFK-MXP (4/22 - not flown) that they can't tell me the value but whatever value it has is only good on a US-EU one-way (PROBABLY A THROW AWAY)

The 2018 no was for a flight voucher (for cancelled/delayed flight in US) that they would not let me apply to an ex-EU itnerary.

It seems there's no simple answer for credits.
Sorry, you received an 800 USD credit for the MXP-originating flight, or an 800 EUR credit? It makes some sense if they issued a EUR-voucher than can be used against any EUR-denominated reservation, or if vouchers issued in a certain region had to be spent on itineraries originating in that region. Or both.

Or there's no simple answer, as you suggested.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Fascinating that agents at the airport can not only perform the same tasks that call center agents can, but also more capably. Yes, it's a good question.

Btw, you were able to ticket a new flight (denominated in USD) using your HUF voucher?

Sorry, you received an 800 USD credit for the MXP-originating flight, or an 800 EUR credit? It makes some sense if they issued a EUR-voucher than can be used against any EUR-denominated reservation, or if vouchers issued in a certain region had to be spent on itineraries originating in that region. Or both.

Or there's no simple answer, as you suggested.
To clarify - I had a credit in EUR whose value was on the order of $800 USD (as I recall). My use of $ was purely to quantify the rough value, not to specify the currency of the credit.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 7:57 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by JMN57
To clarify - I had a credit in EUR whose value was on the order of $800 USD (as I recall). My use of $ was purely to quantify the rough value, not to specify the currency of the credit.
I see! Sorry.

[If you know, or have an opinion] do you think the limitation is currency, or departure region? That is, at the time did the AA Agent suggest that the currency of your voucher needed to match the currency of your new ticket? Or, is it that the old ticket's departure region had to match the new ticket's departure region?

(For what it's worth, I think it is possible to price an AA ticket in currencies other than the departure region. Not always, but sometimes. For example, US-EU tickets can be priced in EUR if one goes through the right sales channel, and vice versa.)
Old Aug 3, 2021, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
I see! Sorry.

[If you know, or have an opinion] do you think the limitation is currency, or departure region? That is, at the time did the AA Agent suggest that the currency of your voucher needed to match the currency of your new ticket? Or, is it that the old ticket's departure region had to match the new ticket's departure region?

(For what it's worth, I think it is possible to price an AA ticket in currencies other than the departure region. Not always, but sometimes. For example, US-EU tickets can be priced in EUR if one goes through the right sales channel, and vice versa.)
The original ticket was for a flight ex-EU so it was denominated in EUR. I think this was for a RT that was never flown summer of 2020. I had a couple of vouchers that were ex-EU and I can't remember which one this refers to - the other voucher was for an interrupted trip (flew MXP-JFK in Jan 2020 with expected return Apr 2020) and that was more difficult to resolve as the value was only realizable on a US-EU return flight (which I am actually flying in 3 weeks).
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 3:16 pm

Advice?

I just recently noticed a BA cancellation on my AA ticket FCO-LHR-ORD (J) . There is one flight that leaves FCO in the afternoon, connecting to a later BA flight onward from LHR arriving ORD at 6:40PM.

My original flight was the non- stop FCO-ORD (cancelled months ago) arriving at around 2 I think (maybe earlier) and exchanged for FCO-LHR-ORD arriving at 2:50. I live south of Chicago closer to Indianapolis and requested to change the ticket start and stop in IND with the return FCO-DFW-IND, but they cant do that.

I do not want to get into ORD at 6:40 PM so my options are that or request cancel? Am I missing anything?

Thank you in advance.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 11:24 am

I'm trying to use a Flight Credit online and aa.com will let me use it for a domestic booking no problem. However the option to use it for payment on an international booking is not there. Is this normal?

Last edited by spanishflea; Aug 11, 2021 at 2:06 pm
Old Aug 11, 2021, 1:53 pm

Noob question here as I almost always fly UA
I had a flight credit from spring 2020 that I just used to purchase a new ticket. I paid the $30 fare difference.
If I cancel the trip, am I right that the value of this new ticket is good for one year from date of purchase/today?
Or does the old credit on the 2020 ticket still expire in March 2022?
Thank you!

Last edited by shdflyer; Aug 11, 2021 at 2:03 pm
Old Aug 21, 2021, 12:01 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
What's AA current excuse for not letting me use a Flight Credit this time? Cancelled a reservation that they've changed about 4 times (SJC-LAX) booked last December and am trying to rebook from SMF instead.

I've had this before with changes and just get blown off when I tell them I can't call from my ship.

(Start Sarcasm) I'm so glad they actually don't care about people Navy ships (End Sarcasm)
Old Aug 24, 2021, 8:57 am

Programs: Aer Lingus AerClub Concierge, BA Silver
I just called to use a voucher and the agent told me that travel needed to be completed by March 2022 (I wanted to use it for June 2022). She asked me to lodge a complaint with customer relations to get the validity extended - has anyone else been told this before and if so, were you successful in getting the extension?
Old Aug 24, 2021, 1:55 pm

American Airlines Refund/Credit

Hi - Posting here since the wait to speak with someone at AA is way too long. My husband and I purchased flights in November 2019 for to travel to Tokyo in October 2020. For obvious reasons that flight was then rescheduled for October 2021 to Tokyo. Then we gave up on Tokyo altogether and changed the flight to Maui, Hawaii in October 2021. AA told us we had to use these credits/vouchers before the end of 2021. What will happen if we need to cancel our flight to Hawaii? It seems like that's getting more and more likely as case counts in Hawaii are pretty bad and only getting worse. Do we have any chance at a refund or a credit if we cancel these flights? Thank you.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I read today that Hawaii is "discouraging" tourism now.

I'm not personally aware of changes in cancelled flight policy but it won't surprise me. I know that I got a Delta basic economy award ticket this week and was allowed to change it, and the DL page said that BE tickets were not cancellable or changeable if they were "For travel after December 31, 2021.)

I believe that Dr. Anthony Fauci said that we could put the pandemic behind us "by spring of 2022" if vaccination rates continue to increase. That's a far cry from what we were all feeling just a couple of months ago. Pure speculation, the airlines will have to continue to adapt. Remember, they still are beneficiaries of an 11-figure bailout and can't afford to look ungrateful to the traveling public.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 9:13 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Rcorbett
Hi - Posting here since the wait to speak with someone at AA is way too long. My husband and I purchased flights in November 2019 for to travel to Tokyo in October 2020. For obvious reasons that flight was then rescheduled for October 2021 to Tokyo. Then we gave up on Tokyo altogether and changed the flight to Maui, Hawaii in October 2021. AA told us we had to use these credits/vouchers before the end of 2021. What will happen if we need to cancel our flight to Hawaii? It seems like that's getting more and more likely as case counts in Hawaii are pretty bad and only getting worse. Do we have any chance at a refund or a credit if we cancel these flights? Thank you.
When I canceled a flight booked on credit, I'm pretty sure the new credit expiry was 1 year from issue (the day I cancelled the flight).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.