Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Card Spend Qualifying for Million Miler 1 May - 31 Dec 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2020, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: uxb

Introducing a promotion to reach Million MilerSM status — link

$1 spent on eligible AAdvantageŽ credit cards equals 1 mile toward Million MilerSM status

We’re introducing a limited-time promotion to help you reach Million Miler℠ status and receive benefits like elite status. For all eligible Citi / AAdvantageŽ and AAdvantageŽ Aviator products, as well as select AAdvantageŽ credit cards outside the U.S., every dollar spent on net purchases that post between May 1, 2020 - December 31, 2020, will count as 1 mile toward Million Miler℠ status.

NOTE (see lsquare below): Statement close dates, not spending dates, matter. Miles reported and posted to a member’s accountbetween May and December will count towards this offer. So purchases made in April but reported in May will count, while purchases in December that are part of a statement closing and reporting in January will not count.

NOTE (by uxb): Miles reported from a statement period that includes December 2020 WILL count towards Million Miler status AND the 2021 EQD waiver.

NOTE 2 (by Wiki editor): Bonus AAdvantage miles for new credit card acquisition do not count toward Million Miler status - only miles earned by actual spend on net purchases will count, only through 31 December 2020. Bonus miles - AA shopping portal miles at 20 miles per dollar - would seem to count only as $1.00 = 1 MM mile, but this was given indirectly by View From The Wing.

An AA email states:

Footnote 1 includes:

"Purchases, less credits, returns and adjustments, made with your CitiŽ / AAdvantageŽ, AAdvantageŽAviatorŽ Silver, AAdvantageŽ AviatorŽ Red, AAdvantageŽ AviatorŽ Blue, and AAdvantageŽ AviatorŽBusiness credit card that post to your AAdvantageŽ account, between May 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020, are eligible for the one mile per dollar spent toward Million MilerSM status. AAdvantageŽ bonus miles and additional miles earned through other promotional offers will not count toward Million MilerSM status. Million MilerSM postings will occur between 8 to 10 weeks of the cardmembers purchases posting to their AAdvantage account."
From View From The Wing - link
  • Earn rate. The offer says you earn 1 million mile status mile per dollar spent, however where you earn more than 1 mile per dollar for your spending, you earn more than 1 million miler mile too. So when you spend on American Airlines tickets, you earn at a rate greater than $1 = 1 mile.
  • New card initial bonus offers do not count. So while there are generous bonus offers available for new AAdvantage cards, those up front bonus offers won’t help you gain million mile status quickly.
  • Other promotional bonus offers do not count either, for instance Citi is currently offering bonus points for online purchases, only the base earning wound count nad not the bonus.
  • Statement close dates, not spending dates, matter. Miles reported and posted to a member’s account between May and December will count towards this offer. So purchases made in April but reported in May will count, while purchases in December that are part of a statement closing and reporting in January will not count.

Eligible credit cards for this promo: (to be filled in as we learn) - ALL AAdvantage miles directly earning cards qualify.

Originally Posted by cat22
I contacted the Advantage desk and was told all cards that currently earn miles will be eligible.

Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Card Spend Qualifying for Million Miler 1 May - 31 Dec 2020

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2020, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I just got my Citibusiness card. Is it true that Citibusiness cards cannot be linked to a personal account? I tried, but failed. I called Citi and they said I need a separate login ID for my business card. ...? Seems like a hassle if I want to check all of my accounts; personal and business. I forgot to ask the rep to change the statement closing date on my business card. It's the 17th. I guess I'll call them back later.
Old May 7, 2020, 9:50 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by lsquare
I just got my Citibusiness card. Is it true that Citibusiness cards cannot be linked to a personal account? I tried, but failed. I called Citi and they said I need a separate login ID for my business card. ...? Seems like a hassle if I want to check all of my accounts; personal and business. I forgot to ask the rep to change the statement closing date on my business card. It's the 17th. I guess I'll call them back later.
This is also true with Chase.
My Chase business cards are not linked to my Chase personal cards.

It seems Citi is therefore similar to Chase.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 8, 2020, 7:22 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy LT Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Assimilated Cajun
I got my Aviator Silver and Aviator Business statements a couple of days ago. I had deliberately spent in some 2x and 3x categories last month -- AA tickets and an AA gift card for 3x on the Silver card, some office supplies and a Staples gift card for 2x on the business card -- so that I would know as soon as possible how much spending it would make sense to redirect to these cards. Today I got my Million Miler credit from both statements, but unfortunately it was only 1 mile per dollar spent. The extra miles I got for the AA spending on my Silver card showed up in a separate line as "Bonus Miles" on my Advantage activity list; this amount was added to my award miles but not to my Milion Miler total.

Oddly, the treatment of my spending on the Business card was even less favorable than on my Silver card. I got 201 Million Miler miles, which corresponded to the $200.xx I had spent for 1x categories (auto parts, postage, Viasat wifi on an American flight). And then I got 685 "Bonus Miles", which is twice the amount I spent at office supply stores ($33.xx on folders etc. at Office Depot plus $308.95 for the Staples gift card). So on the 2x categories, not only did I not get MM credit for the extra mile per dollar, I didn't even get credit for the "base" mile per dollar. I suspect this is a computer glitch and will be fixed -- but that it will only be fixed to allow 1 MM mile per dollar spent on these categories, not two or three as many of us had been hoping.

I was a couple of years away from 2MM given my normal flying patterns. I'll be able to shift 50K or so dollars in spending to my Aviator cards, which should make up for the flights I have had to cancel this year. If 2x and 3x spending categories were counting toward MM status at those rates, I would have shifted more and accelerated my progress toward 2MM. But it just doesn't make sense to shift, for instance, hotel spending when the Hyatt and Marriott and Hilton cards are giving 6 to 9 points per dollar spent. I'm not complaining; 1 MM mile per dollar spent is way better than nothing. But until today I was hoping it would be even better.
@gleff thoughts?
Old May 8, 2020, 7:48 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
AA updated the Description column in the account activity line to now include Million miler credit for that line item;
So this should make it clear what items provide credit to the Million miler balance.

Example:

Description_______________________________ Award Miles Base Miles

AVIATOR MC EVERYDAY PURCHASES________ 10,000
Million miler: 10,000
Old May 8, 2020, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by Flyertalker1
@gleff thoughts?
Here's how American Airlines told me this was supposed to work.

I asked,

The language is that each dollar spent earns 1 mile towards million miler status. Cardmembers earn more than one redeemable mile per dollar spent on certain categories of expenses, such as American Airlines tickets. If someone spends in a bonus category, do they earn just 1 mile towards million miler, or do they earn at the same accelerated rate?
Their response,

Cardholders will accrue Million MilerSM miles at the same rate as they normally earn AAdvantageŽ award miles on their monthly net purchases (i.e. most cards earn 1 mile per USD spent, but some may earn more or fewer). Enrollment or other promotional/bonus miles do not count.
bscooter26 likes this.
Old May 8, 2020, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by gleff

I asked,

Their response,
Am I misunderstanding that quote? So bonus miles such as 2x on restaurants count then?
Old May 8, 2020, 10:34 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy LT Plat, AA Gold

I asked,

Their response,
thank you for the response and additional detail
Old May 8, 2020, 11:14 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, BA Gold, UA Gold MM, DL SM MM, Hyatt Glob, HH Diam, Marriott Ti/LT Plat, IHG Plat
Here's how American Airlines told me this was supposed to work. . . .
Cardholders will accrue Million MilerSM miles at the same rate as they normally earn AAdvantageŽ award miles on their monthly net purchases (i.e. most cards earn 1 mile per USD spent, but some may earn more or fewer). Enrollment or other promotional/bonus miles do not count.
Unless others are seeing different numbers than mine, AA seems to be implementing this differently than they said they would. Assuming others' statements over the next few days also reflect only 1 mile per dollar even in 2x or 3x categories, would a follow-up inquiry be likely to help?
Old May 8, 2020, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Assimilated Cajun
Unless others are seeing different numbers than mine, AA seems to be implementing this differently than they said they would. Assuming others' statements over the next few days also reflect only 1 mile per dollar even in 2x or 3x categories, would a follow-up inquiry be likely to help?
I would agree with you. I think the information Gary got is correct, but it is not being interpreted correctly. It says "but some may earn more or fewer."

I interpret that to mean if you have a non-fee card of some type that only gives .5 miles per dollar spent then you only get .5. If you have one that gives 1.5 miles for all dollars spent then you get 1.5 for the MM). I don't think any of the current AA products are like this, but there are old cards that people still have that may.

But AA tickets of x2 or x3 or specials for groceries, etc count as bonuses and are NOT included. Unless you get that multiplier for everything you spend then it doesn't count. I think in that case AA doesn't have the ability to separate it. The postings identified as "PURCHASES" will only count.

Looking at a Barclay statement (a few months back) it has three entries in the AA activity list:
Example:
AVIATOR MC EVERYDAY PURCHASES_________16,000_____This covers purchases other than AA ticket

AVIATOR MC EVERYDAY PURCHASES_________2,000______This is for AA airline tickets.

AVIATOR MC AA PURCHASE BONUS__________ 4,000______This is for the AA bonus for x3 miles per $ spend on AA.

Items 1 and 2 will count. Item 3 will not - it is identifiable as a BONUS.
bosman likes this.

Last edited by cova; May 8, 2020 at 2:34 pm
Old May 8, 2020, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, BA Gold, UA Gold MM, DL SM MM, Hyatt Glob, HH Diam, Marriott Ti/LT Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cova
I would agree with you. I think the information Gary got is correct, but it is not being interpreted correctly. It says "but some may earn more or fewer."

I interpret that to mean if you have a non-fee card of some type that only gives .5 miles per dollar spent then you only get .5. If you have one that gives 1.5 miles for all dollars spent then you get 1.5 for the MM). I don't think any of the current AA products are like this, but there are old cards that people still have that may.

But AA tickets of x2 or x3 or specials for groceries, etc count as bonuses and are NOT included. Unless you get that multiplier for everything you spend then it doesn't count. I think in that case AA doesn't have the ability to separate it. The postings identified as "PURCHASES" will only count.

Looking at a Barclay statement (a few months back) it has three entries in the AA activity list:
Example:
AVIATOR MC EVERYDAY PURCHASES_________16,000_____This covers purchases other than AA ticket

AVIATOR MC EVERYDAY PURCHASES_________2,000______This is for AA airline tickets.

AVIATOR MC AA PURCHASE BONUS__________ 4,000______This is for the AA bonus for x3 miles per $ spend on AA.

Items 1 and 2 will count. Item 3 will not - it is identifiable as a BONUS.
Hmm. That's not what my Barclay's statements look like. (Maybe there's been a format change in the last few months?) My May 4 Aviator Silver card lists each purchase with the number of miles awarded for each. It doesn't say whether each purchase gets 1x, 2x, or 3x miles per dollar spent, although this is easy to figure out from the total miles and total dollars. For instance:

Then the statement gives a total of all dollars and all miles spent -- again, just "Total purchase activity", no mention of base miles vs. bonus miles:

Finally, the statement includes a recapitulation of all Advantage miles earned from purchases during the statement period:

My Aviator Business card statement from May 4 is formatted differently, but it also does not say anything about base miles vs. bonus miles awarded. It just lists purchases, without saying how many miles were earned for each purchase. And it recapitulates the miles earned from purchases during the statement period:

Interestingly, I did spend several hundred dollars on office supplies, which are a 2x category on the Aviator Business card -- but the statement doesn't consider any of the miles I earned from these purchases to be "bonus" miles. Rather, all 886 miles I earned for my $500 or so of purchases are identified as just "AAdvantage Miles Earned", and the number of "Bonus" miles is identified as zero.

But my AA statement -- unlike my credit card statements -- does look a lot like the format you have described. The miles are broken down into "Everyday Purchases" and "Purchase Bonuses", with MM miles being awarded for the former but not the latter. It looks like someone went to an awful lot of trouble to re-count and re-categorize these miles as "bonuses" rather than as just "purchases" that happened to be credited at various rates. From my Aviator card statements it would appear that I would be getting 11,000 or so MM miles, but my AA statement makes it just as clear that I only get a little over 5000.

Last edited by Assimilated Cajun; May 8, 2020 at 9:54 pm
Old May 8, 2020, 9:42 pm

I was just listing 3 activity lines in the AAdvantage Account activity page. Not a screen shot - just a listing of the data. This was for Feb 2020. My May 2020 is the same, just with the Million Miler amount under the description. (Looks like I had a typo saying it was Barclay). It is AAdvantage account.

My Barclay statement is the same as yours.
Assimilated Cajun likes this.

Last edited by cova; May 9, 2020 at 9:18 pm
Old May 10, 2020, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, AA LT Gold
Do we understand that Barclays' Flight Cents definitely don't earn MM miles?
Old May 12, 2020, 8:08 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Here is how my most recent Aviator Silver posted to my AA account this morning:

Note the little detail note on the left, under the transaction title - indicating this transaction counted X number of miles towards million mile counter.

Originally Posted by yminev
Do we understand that Barclays' Flight Cents definitely don't earn MM miles?
Correct, they do not. Was listed as a unique line item of activity on the activity log w/o "MM" notations. See photo above.
yminev and lsquare like this.
Old May 14, 2020, 3:03 am

My AA Barclay's account closes on the 12th of every month. The last day of charges is then the 11th day of the month. For the month of May, my balance is $4,245. $109 of that was an AA fare. That amount is broken out separately on AA.com, and the bonus miles (3x) are NOT counted towards million miler status. My million mile balance was at 526,522 on May 3. Adding 4245 miles, I now stand at 530,767. The total number of million miles added to my account was the account balance, even though some of these charges posted in April. It appears they are using the statement posting month as opposed to the individual transactions each day. This is important for the cutoff date of 12/31, obviously.

lsquare and robertablake like this.

Last edited by tbone14; May 14, 2020 at 3:20 am
Old May 14, 2020, 5:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Just adding an additional data point confirming some of the above. I opened a new Citi AA Plat Select card in April with a statement date of May 12. The mile additions were posted to my Advantage account today with a May 12 date. The entire amount of purchases on the statement were added to my million miles including one purchase in April. My signup bonus of 60,000 miles and bonus miles for AA ticket were not added to million miles.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.