Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Card Spend Qualifying for Million Miler 1 May - 31 Dec 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2020, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: uxb

Introducing a promotion to reach Million MilerSM status — link

$1 spent on eligible AAdvantage® credit cards equals 1 mile toward Million MilerSM status

We’re introducing a limited-time promotion to help you reach Million Miler℠ status and receive benefits like elite status. For all eligible Citi / AAdvantage® and AAdvantage® Aviator products, as well as select AAdvantage® credit cards outside the U.S., every dollar spent on net purchases that post between May 1, 2020 - December 31, 2020, will count as 1 mile toward Million Miler℠ status.

NOTE (see lsquare below): Statement close dates, not spending dates, matter. Miles reported and posted to a member’s accountbetween May and December will count towards this offer. So purchases made in April but reported in May will count, while purchases in December that are part of a statement closing and reporting in January will not count.

NOTE (by uxb): Miles reported from a statement period that includes December 2020 WILL count towards Million Miler status AND the 2021 EQD waiver.

NOTE 2 (by Wiki editor): Bonus AAdvantage miles for new credit card acquisition do not count toward Million Miler status - only miles earned by actual spend on net purchases will count, only through 31 December 2020. Bonus miles - AA shopping portal miles at 20 miles per dollar - would seem to count only as $1.00 = 1 MM mile, but this was given indirectly by View From The Wing.

An AA email states:

Footnote 1 includes:

"Purchases, less credits, returns and adjustments, made with your Citi® / AAdvantage®, AAdvantage®Aviator® Silver, AAdvantage® Aviator® Red, AAdvantage® Aviator® Blue, and AAdvantage® Aviator®Business credit card that post to your AAdvantage® account, between May 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020, are eligible for the one mile per dollar spent toward Million MilerSM status. AAdvantage® bonus miles and additional miles earned through other promotional offers will not count toward Million MilerSM status. Million MilerSM postings will occur between 8 to 10 weeks of the cardmembers purchases posting to their AAdvantage account."
From View From The Wing - link
  • Earn rate. The offer says you earn 1 million mile status mile per dollar spent, however where you earn more than 1 mile per dollar for your spending, you earn more than 1 million miler mile too. So when you spend on American Airlines tickets, you earn at a rate greater than $1 = 1 mile.
  • New card initial bonus offers do not count. So while there are generous bonus offers available for new AAdvantage cards, those up front bonus offers won’t help you gain million mile status quickly.
  • Other promotional bonus offers do not count either, for instance Citi is currently offering bonus points for online purchases, only the base earning wound count nad not the bonus.
  • Statement close dates, not spending dates, matter. Miles reported and posted to a member’s account between May and December will count towards this offer. So purchases made in April but reported in May will count, while purchases in December that are part of a statement closing and reporting in January will not count.

Eligible credit cards for this promo: (to be filled in as we learn) - ALL AAdvantage miles directly earning cards qualify.

Originally Posted by cat22
I contacted the Advantage desk and was told all cards that currently earn miles will be eligible.

Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Card Spend Qualifying for Million Miler 1 May - 31 Dec 2020

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2020, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Which AAdvantage cards eligible spend for million miler status & policy 2020?

just received an email from AA that includes the following:

Introducing earn toward Million MilerSM status with credit card spend

For all eligible Citi® / AAdvantage® and AAdvantage® Aviator credit card products, as well as select AAdvantage® credit cards outside the U.S., every dollar spent on net purchases that post to your AAdvantage account between May 2020 and December 2020 will count as one mile toward Million MilerSM status.

what cards are eligible - anyone know? Nothing on either website that I could find.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 13, 2020 at 10:08 pm Reason: Restore post title
Old Apr 13, 2020, 1:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maītre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by cynstalker

For all eligible Citi® / AAdvantage® and AAdvantage® Aviator credit card products, as well as select AAdvantage® credit cards outside the U.S., every dollar spent on net purchases that post to your AAdvantage account between May 2020 and December 2020 will count as one mile toward Million MilerSM status.

what cards are eligible - anyone know? Nothing on either website that I could find.
There may be some lag, but it would appear all Citi and BarclayCard cards that earn AAdvantage award miles will have those spend miles count toward Million Miler status during the remainder of 2020. As well as other unspecified cards out of the USA.
cynstalker likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 2:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy LT Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
There may be some lag, but it would appear all Citi and BarclayCard cards that earn AAdvantage award miles will have those spend miles count toward Million Miler status during the remainder of 2020. As well as other unspecified cards out of the USA.
is it a flat 1 point per $1 or do the category multiplier go into effect here?

ie. spend $20 on gas = 40 points with Citi card and 40 lifetime AA miles
Old Apr 13, 2020, 2:18 pm

Fun fact : All Citi AA cards miles used to count towards Million Miler Status, including sign up bonus. Pretty sure there are flyertalks who made Million Miler status via the US Mint program ;-)
sdix, Redhead, renila and 11 others like this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 2:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JDiver
Does this include business cards?
Old Apr 13, 2020, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Any update on if they will delay charging the annual fee or prorating it or anything like that? I can just barely justify the $450 (or whatever it is). In fact, if I really tried, I don't think I can justify it, but would still prefer to keep the card. The only reason it is close to being worth it is the access to the Admiral's Club. If traveling isn't back to normal when I need to renew at the end of May, I definitely will cancel unless they extend my annual fee or prorate it.
brewdog11 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 2:59 pm
Jor

Programs: AA
I have 926,074 miles toward AA MM program I earned mostly using a qualifying AA Visa Card prior to 2011 before credit card purchases were disqualified. I'm looking for a creative way of earning the remaining 75k miles over the next 8 months AA has allowed qualifying AA card purchases to apply to MM.

I currently average around $5-6k/month spend on a Costco Visa card which I pay off monthly. I also have a $3.4k/mo mortgage payment. I'm not sure if I can pay off the mortgage with a credit card, but that would put me in striking distance of the $9735/mo I'd need to spend before the end of the year to make it to the MM promise land.

I'm not asking for purchase recommendations, I can think of those on my own. I'm hoping someone has a hail Mary plan for MM status given this window of opportunity.

Last edited by Jor; Apr 13, 2020 at 3:00 pm Reason: redundant
Old Apr 13, 2020, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Ragnarok
Fun fact : All Citi AA cards miles used to count towards Million Miler Status, including sign up bonus. Pretty sure there are flyertalks who made Million Miler status via the US Mint program ;-)
Not just the cards, but all miles earned used to count for MM status. I achieved quite a bit with double mile, triple mile, and quad mile MRs
JDiver, GTITAN, Abidjan and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by mvoight
Not just the cards, but all miles earned used to count for MM status. I achieved quite a bit with double mile, triple mile, and quad mile MRs
Same here.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Jor
I have 926,074 miles toward AA MM program I earned mostly using a qualifying AA Visa Card prior to 2011 before credit card purchases were disqualified. I'm looking for a creative way of earning the remaining 75k miles over the next 8 months AA has allowed qualifying AA card purchases to apply to MM.

I currently average around $5-6k/month spend on a Costco Visa card which I pay off monthly. I also have a $3.4k/mo mortgage payment. I'm not sure if I can pay off the mortgage with a credit card, but that would put me in striking distance of the $9735/mo I'd need to spend before the end of the year to make it to the MM promise land.

I'm not asking for purchase recommendations, I can think of those on my own. I'm hoping someone has a hail Mary plan for MM status given this window of opportunity.
Look into Plastiq. That service allows you to pay the mortgage with a credit card, but there is a 2.5% fee. They sometimes do promotions, which would reduce the fee further. A few years ago, I paid my federal income tax bill with my credit card, as I was a 1099. It was ~$20k, and the fee was approximately 2.5% too. My logic was that I'd be getting 20k award miles, and that would be equivalent to 4 transcons, without actually flying, so it was worth it to me. 20k award miles was at least 1 round trip, so the cost was negated. The award miles from your credit card reduces the fee %.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cynstalker

Maybe it's not yet been determined? Or maybe the banks will be sending out their own emails, specifying which cards will count?

I am not going to count on all AA-branded Citi and Aviator cards counting towards this--if all cards counted, the email would have said so. But it said only "eligible" cards.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by tbone14
Look into Plastiq. That service allows you to pay the mortgage with a credit card, but there is a 2.5% fee. They sometimes do promotions, which would reduce the fee further. A few years ago, I paid my federal income tax bill with my credit card, as I was a 1099. It was ~$20k, and the fee was approximately 2.5% too. My logic was that I'd be getting 20k award miles, and that would be equivalent to 4 transcons, without actually flying, so it was worth it to me. 20k award miles was at least 1 round trip, so the cost was negated. The award miles from your credit card reduces the fee %.
The competitive sites are down to 1.87% fees for federal tax payments.

As far as Costco, you can buy Costco Cash cards online with any type of card (not just Visa) and use them in-store.
renila and innerspace like this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
I was one of the ones who got tons of mm miles with CitiCards and yes, business card miles counted. It was great - I got my lifetime platinum status because of credit card spends. While SWU’s are nice, I would rather be able to earn another level of status. I doubt that will happen.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 5:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver
I contacted the Advantage desk and was told all cards that currently earn miles will be eligible.
JDiver, cynstalker and Burj like this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight

I agree. Got to Million Miler℠ balance: 446,379 with BD till they yanked it. If it's just Citi I won't make it. I hope they bring bank deposit miles back..

Will Citi bonus miles count?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.