Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Card Spend Qualifying for Million Miler 1 May - 31 Dec 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2020, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: uxb

Introducing a promotion to reach Million MilerSM status — link

$1 spent on eligible AAdvantage® credit cards equals 1 mile toward Million MilerSM status

We’re introducing a limited-time promotion to help you reach Million Miler℠ status and receive benefits like elite status. For all eligible Citi / AAdvantage® and AAdvantage® Aviator products, as well as select AAdvantage® credit cards outside the U.S., every dollar spent on net purchases that post between May 1, 2020 - December 31, 2020, will count as 1 mile toward Million Miler℠ status.

NOTE (see lsquare below): Statement close dates, not spending dates, matter. Miles reported and posted to a member’s accountbetween May and December will count towards this offer. So purchases made in April but reported in May will count, while purchases in December that are part of a statement closing and reporting in January will not count.

NOTE (by uxb): Miles reported from a statement period that includes December 2020 WILL count towards Million Miler status AND the 2021 EQD waiver.

NOTE 2 (by Wiki editor): Bonus AAdvantage miles for new credit card acquisition do not count toward Million Miler status - only miles earned by actual spend on net purchases will count, only through 31 December 2020. Bonus miles - AA shopping portal miles at 20 miles per dollar - would seem to count only as $1.00 = 1 MM mile, but this was given indirectly by View From The Wing.

An AA email states:

Footnote 1 includes:

"Purchases, less credits, returns and adjustments, made with your Citi® / AAdvantage®, AAdvantage®Aviator® Silver, AAdvantage® Aviator® Red, AAdvantage® Aviator® Blue, and AAdvantage® Aviator®Business credit card that post to your AAdvantage® account, between May 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020, are eligible for the one mile per dollar spent toward Million MilerSM status. AAdvantage® bonus miles and additional miles earned through other promotional offers will not count toward Million MilerSM status. Million MilerSM postings will occur between 8 to 10 weeks of the cardmembers purchases posting to their AAdvantage account."
From View From The Wing - link
  • Earn rate. The offer says you earn 1 million mile status mile per dollar spent, however where you earn more than 1 mile per dollar for your spending, you earn more than 1 million miler mile too. So when you spend on American Airlines tickets, you earn at a rate greater than $1 = 1 mile.
  • New card initial bonus offers do not count. So while there are generous bonus offers available for new AAdvantage cards, those up front bonus offers won’t help you gain million mile status quickly.
  • Other promotional bonus offers do not count either, for instance Citi is currently offering bonus points for online purchases, only the base earning wound count nad not the bonus.
  • Statement close dates, not spending dates, matter. Miles reported and posted to a member’s account between May and December will count towards this offer. So purchases made in April but reported in May will count, while purchases in December that are part of a statement closing and reporting in January will not count.

Eligible credit cards for this promo: (to be filled in as we learn) - ALL AAdvantage miles directly earning cards qualify.

Originally Posted by cat22
I contacted the Advantage desk and was told all cards that currently earn miles will be eligible.

Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Card Spend Qualifying for Million Miler 1 May - 31 Dec 2020

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2020, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I can't find that on this page. Is it new?
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...er-program.jsp
What @nall meant to say was that would be a solution to a problem. AA haven't announced any new MM tiers.
robertablake likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by djsusm
Being at 1,797,141 Lifetime miles, I just signed up for the Citi Platinum Business card. While I don't expect the business spend to get me to 2MM by December, this will hopefully get me to within flying distance so that flights in the next few years will finally get me to Lifetime Plat. No US Mint type programs around now, right :P ?
Even if there's no business spend, with Plastiq at 2.5% and paypal at 2.9%, w/ a max of ~$6k out of pocket + 200k miles for Lifetime Platinum seems like no brainer.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 8:57 pm

No brainer? Platinum perks will be gone. Coming soon Executive Premier Platinum that will be above Executive Platinum. Do you understand what they are doing?

Originally Posted by fangtl
Even if there's no business spend, with Plastiq at 2.5% and paypal at 2.9%, w/ a max of ~$6k out of pocket + 200k miles for Lifetime Platinum seems like no brainer.
Old May 1, 2020, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Centurion
No brainer? Platinum perks will be gone. Coming soon Executive Premier Platinum that will be above Executive Platinum. Do you understand what they are doing?
Anything is possible, but I find it hard to believe AA will take MCE, priority boarding, free checked bags from PLT - lifetime or BIS - in the foreseeable future (18 - 24 months). Same goes for all other major US carriers.

Upgrades will likely continue to become even less common for PLT, that ship started sailing years ago.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 2, 2020, 1:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, AA LT Gold, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC, HP Masters emeritus (sigh)
Originally Posted by lsquare
You guys think it'll be necessary to change the statement closing date to something like December 31st, 2020 to maximize the earning period?
Again, I don't think the statement date has anything to do with it. What I'm guessing counts is when the charges post to your account, usually 1-2 days after.
Old May 2, 2020, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DesertRat
Again, I don't think the statement date has anything to do with it. What I'm guessing counts is when the charges post to your account, usually 1-2 days after.
How do we get the final word on this matter?
Old May 2, 2020, 10:31 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; HH Gold; Bonvoy Gold; Wynd Diamond
Originally Posted by TTT103
I'm not convinced that Gary is correct with 2X earnings on the bonus categories counting 2X towards MM. No other blogger is stating that. I guess we shall see when statements begin to close in May.
If he IS right, does Flight Cents become actually attractive?
Old May 2, 2020, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; HH Gold; Bonvoy Gold; Wynd Diamond
eMail yesterday from AA: Reach Million Miler status faster to enjoy special benefits

"To thank you for your continued loyalty, every dollar spent on purchases made with your eligible1 AAdvantage® credit card that posts to your AAdvantage® account between May 1 – Dec. 31, 2020, will count as 1 mile toward Million MilerSM status."

Footnote 1 includes:

"
Purchases, less credits, returns and adjustments, made with your Citi® / AAdvantage®, AAdvantage® Aviator® Silver, AAdvantage® Aviator® Red, AAdvantage® Aviator® Blue, and AAdvantage® Aviator® Business credit card that post to your AAdvantage® account, between May 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020, are eligible for the one mile per dollar spent toward Million MilerSM status. AAdvantage® bonus miles and additional miles earned through other promotional offers will not count toward Million MilerSM status. Million MilerSM postings will occur between 8 to 10 weeks of the cardmembers purchases posting to their AAdvantage account."
Old May 3, 2020, 12:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
The footnote from the AA email also states:

In order to qualify for this offer, the credit card account must be open and current at all times. If your credit card account is closed for any reason, you may no longer be eligible for this offer.

Does that mean that if I cancel the card in October (that’s when my fee is due), I lose all the miles added to my million miler balance earned from May-Oct? (and yes I know the pros/cons/alternatives to cancelling the card).
Old May 3, 2020, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hbtr
The footnote from the AA email also states:

In order to qualify for this offer, the credit card account must be open and current at all times. If your credit card account is closed for any reason, you may no longer be eligible for this offer.

Does that mean that if I cancel the card in October (that’s when my fee is due), I lose all the miles added to my million miler balance earned from May-Oct? (and yes I know the pros/cons/alternatives to cancelling the card).
Woah, that is quite the caveat that was not really reported on by the blogs. I plan to downgrade one of my Citi Exec card to MileUp due to no Admirals Club benefit these days, but will be furious if this loophole means I lose the spend I have put on this card to earn this benefit. It's in the terms and conditions, yes, but should be one of the main promotion points or a lot of people will be tricked.
Old May 3, 2020, 11:03 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DesertRat
I think it will based on when the credit card company sends the points to the airline and the airline posts that total on your AA account.

AA doesn't know when your charges post to your credit card. What they see is a total for the month that they post to your AA account a few days after your monthly closing date.
chrisny2 and lsquare like this.
Old May 3, 2020, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cova
I think it will based on when the credit card company sends the points to the airline and the airline posts that total on your AA account.

AA doesn't know when your charges post to your credit card. What they see is a total for the month that they post to your AA account a few days after your monthly closing date.
I think your post makes a lot of sense, bit how are we going to get a definitive answer? I want to optimize and maximise my earning period. I want to charge all of my Christmas shopping to the card. I'm already planning to put all of my taxes on the card.
Old May 3, 2020, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Originally Posted by lsquare
I think your post makes a lot of sense, bit how are we going to get a definitive answer? I want to optimize and maximise my earning period. I want to charge all of my Christmas shopping to the card. I'm already planning to put all of my taxes on the card.
You'll know definitively when the first miles post to million mile trackers which could be as late as early to mid-July. That will be when people with early May credit card statement closing dates should have their million mile trackers update (at the latest). It should be obvious at that point whether April purchases count or only post-May 1 purchases count. If the former (give or take a day or two), then credit card posting date is the relevant date; if the latter, then credit card purchase date is the relevant date. One should also be able to determine whether bonus miles for certain types of credit card activity count (despite the T&Cs stating they won't).

I sent an e-mail to AA customer service weeks ago for a clarification on the matter, and so far, they've successfully ignored me.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 3, 2020, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
You'll know definitively when the first miles post to million mile trackers which could be as late as early to mid-July. That will be when people with early May credit card statement closing dates should have their million mile trackers update (at the latest). It should be obvious at that point whether April purchases count or only post-May 1 purchases count. If the former (give or take a day or two), then credit card posting date is the relevant date; if the latter, then credit card purchase date is the relevant date. One should also be able to determine whether bonus miles for certain types of credit card activity count (despite the T&Cs stating they won't).

I sent an e-mail to AA customer service weeks ago for a clarification on the matter, and so far, they've successfully ignored me.
Why that late? Late April and May spending should be in the June statement at the latest right?
Old May 3, 2020, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EP
For the annual EQM and EQD that come with the silver Barclay’s card, they use the posting date, and it doesn’t matter what your statement date is. And if they enforce the “remain open at all times” condition, they may not post till early next year. Once FTers May statements cycle, and someone posts, we may know more. Even for a May 5 statement, you would have a couple days of May postings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.