Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Card Spend Qualifying for Million Miler 1 May - 31 Dec 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2020, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: uxb

Introducing a promotion to reach Million MilerSM status — link

$1 spent on eligible AAdvantageŽ credit cards equals 1 mile toward Million MilerSM status

We’re introducing a limited-time promotion to help you reach Million Miler℠ status and receive benefits like elite status. For all eligible Citi / AAdvantageŽ and AAdvantageŽ Aviator products, as well as select AAdvantageŽ credit cards outside the U.S., every dollar spent on net purchases that post between May 1, 2020 - December 31, 2020, will count as 1 mile toward Million Miler℠ status.

NOTE (see lsquare below): Statement close dates, not spending dates, matter. Miles reported and posted to a member’s accountbetween May and December will count towards this offer. So purchases made in April but reported in May will count, while purchases in December that are part of a statement closing and reporting in January will not count.

NOTE (by uxb): Miles reported from a statement period that includes December 2020 WILL count towards Million Miler status AND the 2021 EQD waiver.

NOTE 2 (by Wiki editor): Bonus AAdvantage miles for new credit card acquisition do not count toward Million Miler status - only miles earned by actual spend on net purchases will count, only through 31 December 2020. Bonus miles - AA shopping portal miles at 20 miles per dollar - would seem to count only as $1.00 = 1 MM mile, but this was given indirectly by View From The Wing.

An AA email states:

Footnote 1 includes:

"Purchases, less credits, returns and adjustments, made with your CitiŽ / AAdvantageŽ, AAdvantageŽAviatorŽ Silver, AAdvantageŽ AviatorŽ Red, AAdvantageŽ AviatorŽ Blue, and AAdvantageŽ AviatorŽBusiness credit card that post to your AAdvantageŽ account, between May 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020, are eligible for the one mile per dollar spent toward Million MilerSM status. AAdvantageŽ bonus miles and additional miles earned through other promotional offers will not count toward Million MilerSM status. Million MilerSM postings will occur between 8 to 10 weeks of the cardmembers purchases posting to their AAdvantage account."
From View From The Wing - link
  • Earn rate. The offer says you earn 1 million mile status mile per dollar spent, however where you earn more than 1 mile per dollar for your spending, you earn more than 1 million miler mile too. So when you spend on American Airlines tickets, you earn at a rate greater than $1 = 1 mile.
  • New card initial bonus offers do not count. So while there are generous bonus offers available for new AAdvantage cards, those up front bonus offers won’t help you gain million mile status quickly.
  • Other promotional bonus offers do not count either, for instance Citi is currently offering bonus points for online purchases, only the base earning wound count nad not the bonus.
  • Statement close dates, not spending dates, matter. Miles reported and posted to a member’s account between May and December will count towards this offer. So purchases made in April but reported in May will count, while purchases in December that are part of a statement closing and reporting in January will not count.

Eligible credit cards for this promo: (to be filled in as we learn) - ALL AAdvantage miles directly earning cards qualify.

Originally Posted by cat22
I contacted the Advantage desk and was told all cards that currently earn miles will be eligible.

Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Card Spend Qualifying for Million Miler 1 May - 31 Dec 2020

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2020, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Originally Posted by lsquare
Why that late? Late April and May spending should be in the June statement at the latest right?
Footnote 1 includes:

"
Purchases, less credits, returns and adjustments, made with your CitiŽ / AAdvantageŽ, AAdvantageŽ AviatorŽ Silver, AAdvantageŽ AviatorŽ Red, AAdvantageŽ AviatorŽ Blue, and AAdvantageŽ AviatorŽ Business credit card that post to your AAdvantageŽ account, between May 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020, are eligible for the one mile per dollar spent toward Million MilerSM status. AAdvantageŽ bonus miles and additional miles earned through other promotional offers will not count toward Million MilerSMstatus. Million MilerSM postings will occur between 8 to 10 weeks of the cardmembers purchases posting to their AAdvantage account." (emphasis added)
lsquare likes this.
Old May 4, 2020, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I am going to be cancelling a flight and getting a refund on my AA card. I guess the credit of ~$2000 will generate negative 2000 miles toward million-miler status. Is that the consensus?
Old May 4, 2020, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by apeortdz
I am going to be cancelling a flight and getting a refund on my AA card. I guess the credit of ~$2000 will generate negative 2000 miles toward million-miler status. Is that the consensus?
Did the miles even posted to your account yet? It's suppose to take 8-10 weeks so if not, then I guess there's nothing to think about. I'm pretty sure Citi and AA won't let you keep any miles that you haven't earned.
Old May 6, 2020, 6:20 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
For Barclay card, I had purchases post on AA account, 2 days after the statement closing date.
The AA activity date shows the statement closing date, not the date it was added to the account.

Million Miler balance was updated when purchases added to AA account.. (so no 8-10 weeks to post).
I had no bonus miles post (ie no AA tickets).

Most of these purchases were made in April, which means for me, end of year - most of December purchases won't count, since they will post in January.
Old May 6, 2020, 6:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by cova
For Barclay card, I had purchases post on AA account, 2 days after the statement closing date.
The AA activity date shows the statement closing date, not the date it was added to the account.

Million Miler balance was updated when purchases added to AA account.. (so no 8-10 weeks to post).

Most of these purchases were made in April, which means for me, end of year - most of December purchases won't count, since they will post in January.
Great data point, clears up the many questions. Thank you.
Old May 6, 2020, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by robertablake
Great data point, clears up the many questions. Thank you.
Not sure if I'm on the same page as you guys. So the bonus miles from restaurant and gas won't count?

So if statement closing date is important, what's the best date to pick to maximize the time period?
Old May 6, 2020, 7:39 am

I had no bonus miles (restaurants, gas, fights, etc), so I am not sure, but I don't think they will count. Bonus points show up as a separate activity on AA account..

Choose a closing date near the end of the month. I am not sure if I would pick 30th of the month, maybe a couple of days sooner, like 28th, to be safe.
Old May 6, 2020, 7:41 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
So from cova I take it then that the lifetime miles are based on when your cc statement posts to your AAdvantage account as opposed to the date when you actually paid for an item or a service. Got it.
Old May 6, 2020, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had no bonus miles (restaurants, gas, fights, etc), so I am not sure, but I don't think they will count. Bonus points show up as a separate activity on AA account..

Choose a closing date near the end of the month. I am not sure if I would pick 30th of the month, maybe a couple of days sooner, like 28th, to be safe.
I never had an AA card so I don't know. Why would 30 or even 31st be uncessary given that it's the statement closing date that matters?
Old May 6, 2020, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
So from cova I take it then that the lifetime miles are based on when your cc statement posts to your AAdvantage account as opposed to the date when you actually paid for an item or a service. Got it.
Yes, based on posting. But the AA activity date is back dated to the closing date, not the date if posted on the AA account.
AA adds to the million miler balance when they post it, but then which date counts : the date of posting on the account or the back dated activity date which is statement date. I say the later.

Let's say your closing date is 30th of the month. So that statement posts on Jan 1st, but the AA activity date is back dated to Dec 30.
My guess is that it would count in the MM balance since it is back dated.

But again to be safe, maybe get a closing date of 28th to be safe. The 28th will allow activity posting before Jan 1st when a new year starts - but then likely doesn't matter.
Old May 6, 2020, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
glad my AAdvantage Exec cards closes out its statement on the 22d of each month!
Old May 6, 2020, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, BA Gold, UA Gold MM, DL SM MM, Hyatt Glob, HH Diam, Marriott Ti/LT Plat, IHG Plat
Data point: 2x and 3x on Aviator cards don't count toward MM status

Originally Posted by TTT103
I'm not convinced that Gary is correct with 2X earnings on the bonus categories counting 2X towards MM. No other blogger is stating that. I guess we shall see when statements begin to close in May.
I got my Aviator Silver and Aviator Business statements a couple of days ago. I had deliberately spent in some 2x and 3x categories last month -- AA tickets and an AA gift card for 3x on the Silver card, some office supplies and a Staples gift card for 2x on the business card -- so that I would know as soon as possible how much spending it would make sense to redirect to these cards. Today I got my Million Miler credit from both statements, but unfortunately it was only 1 mile per dollar spent. The extra miles I got for the AA spending on my Silver card showed up in a separate line as "Bonus Miles" on my Advantage activity list; this amount was added to my award miles but not to my Milion Miler total.

Oddly, the treatment of my spending on the Business card was even less favorable than on my Silver card. I got 201 Million Miler miles, which corresponded to the $200.xx I had spent for 1x categories (auto parts, postage, Viasat wifi on an American flight). And then I got 685 "Bonus Miles", which is twice the amount I spent at office supply stores ($33.xx on folders etc. at Office Depot plus $308.95 for the Staples gift card). So on the 2x categories, not only did I not get MM credit for the extra mile per dollar, I didn't even get credit for the "base" mile per dollar. I suspect this is a computer glitch and will be fixed -- but that it will only be fixed to allow 1 MM mile per dollar spent on these categories, not two or three as many of us had been hoping.

I was a couple of years away from 2MM given my normal flying patterns. I'll be able to shift 50K or so dollars in spending to my Aviator cards, which should make up for the flights I have had to cancel this year. If 2x and 3x spending categories were counting toward MM status at those rates, I would have shifted more and accelerated my progress toward 2MM. But it just doesn't make sense to shift, for instance, hotel spending when the Hyatt and Marriott and Hilton cards are giving 6 to 9 points per dollar spent. I'm not complaining; 1 MM mile per dollar spent is way better than nothing. But until today I was hoping it would be even better.
renila and robertablake like this.
Old May 6, 2020, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Assimilated Cajun
I got my Aviator Silver and Aviator Business statements a couple of days ago. I had deliberately spent in some 2x and 3x categories last month -- AA tickets and an AA gift card for 3x on the Silver card, some office supplies and a Staples gift card for 2x on the business card -- so that I would know as soon as possible how much spending it would make sense to redirect to these cards. Today I got my Million Miler credit from both statements, but unfortunately it was only 1 mile per dollar spent. The extra miles I got for the AA spending on my Silver card showed up in a separate line as "Bonus Miles" on my Advantage activity list; this amount was added to my award miles but not to my Milion Miler total.

Oddly, the treatment of my spending on the Business card was even less favorable than on my Silver card. I got 201 Million Miler miles, which corresponded to the $200.xx I had spent for 1x categories (auto parts, postage, Viasat wifi on an American flight). And then I got 685 "Bonus Miles", which is twice the amount I spent at office supply stores ($33.xx on folders etc. at Office Depot plus $308.95 for the Staples gift card). So on the 2x categories, not only did I not get MM credit for the extra mile per dollar, I didn't even get credit for the "base" mile per dollar. I suspect this is a computer glitch and will be fixed -- but that it will only be fixed to allow 1 MM mile per dollar spent on these categories, not two or three as many of us had been hoping.

I was a couple of years away from 2MM given my normal flying patterns. I'll be able to shift 50K or so dollars in spending to my Aviator cards, which should make up for the flights I have had to cancel this year. If 2x and 3x spending categories were counting toward MM status at those rates, I would have shifted more and accelerated my progress toward 2MM. But it just doesn't make sense to shift, for instance, hotel spending when the Hyatt and Marriott and Hilton cards are giving 6 to 9 points per dollar spent. I'm not complaining; 1 MM mile per dollar spent is way better than nothing. But until today I was hoping it would be even better.
Thanks for the confirmation. Sucks that my restaurant and AA flight spending won't get me any closer to MM status. Given what you have said, I'm thinking of getting the statement closing date to the last week of December. December 28th is a Monday. I'm wondering if December 30th is safe considering AA backdates?
Old May 6, 2020, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, BA Gold, UA Gold MM, DL SM MM, Hyatt Glob, HH Diam, Marriott Ti/LT Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lsquare
Thanks for the confirmation. Sucks that my restaurant and AA flight spending won't get me any closer to MM status. Given what you have said, I'm thinking of getting the statement closing date to the last week of December. December 28th is a Monday. I'm wondering if December 30th is safe considering AA backdates?
Not sure. I haven't done any experiments of this kind. This month my two Aviator statements both closed on May 4 and the miles appeared on my Advantage statement on May 6. They were backdated to May 4, which suggests that you would be safe even if your statement closed on December 31. But I guess it really comes down to how much money you plan to spend between, say, December 26 and December 30, how difficult it would be for you to shift that spending forward by a few days, and how important it is to get credit for those four days of spending vs. the risk, even if relatively small, of losing credit for your spending for the whole month. Personally I'd probably close on the 26th or so, but I'm pretty risk averse. (And this aversion increases every time I have to try to convince a customer service representative that his or her company has made a mistake.)
Old May 6, 2020, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Assimilated Cajun
Not sure. I haven't done any experiments of this kind. This month my two Aviator statements both closed on May 4 and the miles appeared on my Advantage statement on May 6. They were backdated to May 4, which suggests that you would be safe even if your statement closed on December 31. But I guess it really comes down to how much money you plan to spend between, say, December 26 and December 30, how difficult it would be for you to shift that spending forward by a few days, and how important it is to get credit for those four days of spending vs. the risk, even if relatively small, of losing credit for your spending for the whole month. Personally I'd probably close on the 26th or so, but I'm pretty risk averse. (And this aversion increases every time I have to try to convince a customer service representative that his or her company has made a mistake.)
I would have put most of my spending on the card long before December such as taxes. It's the post-Christmas purchases that I make from time to time.
Assimilated Cajun likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.