Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Card Spend Qualifying for Million Miler 1 May - 31 Dec 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2020, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: uxb

Introducing a promotion to reach Million MilerSM status — link

$1 spent on eligible AAdvantageŽ credit cards equals 1 mile toward Million MilerSM status

We’re introducing a limited-time promotion to help you reach Million Miler℠ status and receive benefits like elite status. For all eligible Citi / AAdvantageŽ and AAdvantageŽ Aviator products, as well as select AAdvantageŽ credit cards outside the U.S., every dollar spent on net purchases that post between May 1, 2020 - December 31, 2020, will count as 1 mile toward Million Miler℠ status.

NOTE (see lsquare below): Statement close dates, not spending dates, matter. Miles reported and posted to a member’s accountbetween May and December will count towards this offer. So purchases made in April but reported in May will count, while purchases in December that are part of a statement closing and reporting in January will not count.

NOTE (by uxb): Miles reported from a statement period that includes December 2020 WILL count towards Million Miler status AND the 2021 EQD waiver.

NOTE 2 (by Wiki editor): Bonus AAdvantage miles for new credit card acquisition do not count toward Million Miler status - only miles earned by actual spend on net purchases will count, only through 31 December 2020. Bonus miles - AA shopping portal miles at 20 miles per dollar - would seem to count only as $1.00 = 1 MM mile, but this was given indirectly by View From The Wing.

An AA email states:

Footnote 1 includes:

"Purchases, less credits, returns and adjustments, made with your CitiŽ / AAdvantageŽ, AAdvantageŽAviatorŽ Silver, AAdvantageŽ AviatorŽ Red, AAdvantageŽ AviatorŽ Blue, and AAdvantageŽ AviatorŽBusiness credit card that post to your AAdvantageŽ account, between May 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020, are eligible for the one mile per dollar spent toward Million MilerSM status. AAdvantageŽ bonus miles and additional miles earned through other promotional offers will not count toward Million MilerSM status. Million MilerSM postings will occur between 8 to 10 weeks of the cardmembers purchases posting to their AAdvantage account."
From View From The Wing - link
  • Earn rate. The offer says you earn 1 million mile status mile per dollar spent, however where you earn more than 1 mile per dollar for your spending, you earn more than 1 million miler mile too. So when you spend on American Airlines tickets, you earn at a rate greater than $1 = 1 mile.
  • New card initial bonus offers do not count. So while there are generous bonus offers available for new AAdvantage cards, those up front bonus offers won’t help you gain million mile status quickly.
  • Other promotional bonus offers do not count either, for instance Citi is currently offering bonus points for online purchases, only the base earning wound count nad not the bonus.
  • Statement close dates, not spending dates, matter. Miles reported and posted to a member’s account between May and December will count towards this offer. So purchases made in April but reported in May will count, while purchases in December that are part of a statement closing and reporting in January will not count.

Eligible credit cards for this promo: (to be filled in as we learn) - ALL AAdvantage miles directly earning cards qualify.

Originally Posted by cat22
I contacted the Advantage desk and was told all cards that currently earn miles will be eligible.

Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Card Spend Qualifying for Million Miler 1 May - 31 Dec 2020

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2021, 11:49 am

I am sure AA did this to avoid people complaining about spend in December not counting. it was probably easier to allow credit in Jan than deal with complaints of "I never would have spend X on my Citi/Barclays card if i knew it would not count towards MM status".

smart proactive move on their part
fotoflyer88 and robertablake like this.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 7:29 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by azmmza
I am sure AA did this to avoid people complaining about spend in December not counting. it was probably easier to allow credit in Jan than deal with complaints of "I never would have spend X on my Citi/Barclays card if i knew it would not count towards MM status".

I believe I did allude to this up-thread. The language was too ambiguous, so I did nothing with my statement date which ended 2 January. This morning, I received 8867 miles (incl. 5000 which was compensation for awful customer service from Citibank) from my CitiBusiness AAdvantage Card. All 8867 counted towards MM and EQD. I'll only have to spend 21113, which is doable in Q1, but I'm not feeling AA right now because of the Black Friday promo debacle. I don't know if I'll try to level up to PRO or EXP this year.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 8:55 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
My statement closes Jan 15th. I wonder how purchases on this statement will be credited.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 7:34 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by djsusm
My statement closes Jan 15th. I wonder how purchases on this statement will be credited.
I have another card with a closing date of the 14th. My best guess is that this card will also count towards MM and EQD waiver. I also guess we'll find out for certain in a few more days. YMMV.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by azmmza

This happened back in 2011 (or whatever year that was) when Citi allowed Executive card spend to count for a bit longer.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, AA LT Gold, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC, HP Masters emeritus (sigh)
Can anyone confirm if all charges from statements that post in January are posting as MM too? Or just the part that reflects actual charges before Jan. 1?
If January charges can count for MM, I may have to move the Aviator back out of the sock drawer ...
Old Jan 10, 2021, 3:43 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by DesertRat
Can anyone confirm if all charges from statements that post in January are posting as MM too? Or just the part that reflects actual charges before Jan. 1?
If January charges can count for MM, I may have to move the Aviator back out of the sock drawer ...
I can confirm that all charges made in January posted as MM and EQD.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 4:03 pm
uxb

Duplicate
Old Jan 14, 2021, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA
Any update with people that have had recent statement dates? I'm on a 25th of the month cycle and have a few spends from December so I'm trying to figure if I should add to it. Willing to waste the spend on MM but not on ordinary miles. I'll kick myself if I end up with only miles when I could have applied the spend to a newly opened Spark.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
My statement which ends on the 11th posted and the entire spend for the period (including January) counted towards MM.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
My statement which ends on the 11th posted and the entire spend for the period (including January) counted towards MM.
I feel like a total idiot for changing my statement closing date to the end of December now. Seems like you got almost 2 more weeks of spending into your card.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Will be interesting to see what happens with my Citi card that closes around the 21st.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 2:17 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
I applied for the Citibusiness AA card on 12/28 and it didn't even arrive until 1/8. Met the minimum spend for the bonus on it as soon as it arrived and the statement closed on 1/12. All the spend counted towards MM status. I think everyone with later January closing dates will be fine.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 4:21 am

Programs: AA
On the card I asked about, I'm in an unusual situation. In November, I had $5k in fraud charges where I got the 5k MM, which I guess I should say thank you to the fraudster. But on the next statement, I had negative miles, which were never posted to AA. I got 600 bonus miles for a new fraudulent $600 AT&T charge, but no legitimate spends posted to AA. So I'm thinking I still have a negative balance sitting on that Citi card and any spends may go to offset that instead of being reported to AA.

But I do have another card that posts in January which I can use. So I'm trying to figure out how to get that card into the hands of a criminal or if I should go out and buy something really expensive and return it after the statement.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 8:51 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Ditto

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.