Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2021, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by CLT
CLT/DFW/ORD-Hawaii segments currently receive a snack box upon departure and then biscoff/pretzels prior to arrival.
That's brutal on a 9+ hour flight even by airline COVID "standards."
Old May 12, 2021, 3:01 pm

What’s up with LAX-BOS listed as “refreshments”? Not talking about the red eye.

Is delta doing any better?
Old May 12, 2021, 3:13 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
UA bringing back food and alcohol in Y starting in 2 weeks. AA, "we'll let you know later this summer".

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...alcohol-y.html
hurnik and AAdamE like this.
Old May 12, 2021, 3:19 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Originally Posted by GlobalMatt
That's brutal on a 9+ hour flight even by airline COVID "standards."
Actually, it was once worse.

Before airlines got "generous" and began to re-introduce food in Domestic Y, AA/UA both offered nothing for free in Y on Hawaii-East Coast/Midwest flights, other than soft drinks. BOB would be available but they would frequently run out.
GlobalMatt and wrp96 like this.
Old May 12, 2021, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by CLT

Before airlines got "generous" and began to re-introduce food in Domestic Y, AA/UA both offered nothing for free in Y on Hawaii-East Coast/Midwest flights, other than soft drinks. BOB would be available but they would frequently run out.
Wow. Good riddance to those days. Was that early-mid aughts, or during COVID? I guess that is a long winded way of me asking when was this dark period?
Old May 12, 2021, 3:55 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Originally Posted by GlobalMatt
Wow. Good riddance to those days. Was that early-mid aughts, or during COVID? I guess that is a long winded way of me asking when was this dark period?
AA only brought back biscoff and pretzels in 2016/2017 IIRC. Ditto for UA. Hawaii “meals” returned shortly after but it’s debatable as to whether the sandwich boxes can be classified as a meal.
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old May 12, 2021, 4:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by NickRivas
AA 117 currently JFK-LAX in J

still don’t understand the logic of using real knifes/forks and plates but plastic cups. If they’re so worried about covid shouldn’t they give plastic forks/knifes instead of real ones since that’s what gets more of my saliva anyway? Lmao

also tired of the tart dessert all the time, it’s always a tart (but different flavors) that’s wayyyy too sugary. I guess they can’t bring back the sundaes cause that would mean using glass which would mean bringing back actual glasses....
Didn't you know actual glasses are disruptive to the FAs side conversations and phone time.
Old May 12, 2021, 10:58 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by CLT

OMG probably one of my worst flights EVER was HNL-EWR on UA during that era. Miserable!
CLT likes this.
Old May 13, 2021, 12:17 am

United just announced that plated meals will be returning to domestic first class on June 15th. This include all flights over 1,500 miles or hub to hub flights over 800 miles. They’re definitely leading the pack on this, now let’s hope American follows suit. Fingers crossed!
enviroian, wrp96, cmd320 and 3 others like this.
Old May 13, 2021, 1:06 am

LAX-PDX in F / Skywest

FA introduced herself and called us by our names, also offered something to drink once we were up. She didn’t really come back to ask for more so I pushed the call button and she gladly brought a second drinks. Later did ask if I’d like more wine.
CLT likes this.
Old May 13, 2021, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K
5/12 - JFK/AUS F AA2772

No PDB (expected)
Proactive beverage service in F with frequent refills
Choice of cheese/fruit tray or sandwich. The sandwich looked decent, but the fruit and cheese tray was wonderful! If they would have put a strawberry in it, I would have called it perfect!
Engaging crew that looked/acted as if they might be new reserves? They were the youngest inflight staff (by decades) I have seen on AA in a LONG time.

I took the opportunity to tweet AA (partially because I failed to hand out service certs-couldn't grab them in time) and to lobby for full service in the back. They said next month, but I don't think that includes the alcohol in MCE.

Added: The JFK experience was surreal. T8 was a ghost town. Only 2 restaurants open, one Hudson's with limited offerings, and the AC offerings were scant. The only free beer was Sam Adams Cold Snap (which wasn't bad) and the Coke machine was self-serve. The "salad" containers each had 3 pieces of leaf lettuce, a cherry tomato, and a piece of mozzarella cheese. They had the roasted corn and a couple of other miniscule offerings.

As a side note, the AC is using (part of?) the Flagship lounge on the A concourse, the AC on the B concourse is closed. The club itself was nice, but felt crowded, only because every other seat had a social distancing placard on it.

Last edited by MikeShores; May 13, 2021 at 10:54 pm Reason: added JFK experience
Old May 15, 2021, 9:29 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by CLT
CLT/DFW/ORD-Hawaii segments currently receive a snack box upon departure and then biscoff/pretzels prior to arrival. Snack box varies by station IIRC. DFW departures currently offer a selection of prepackaged snacks while HNL departures get a mini-sandwich (like a slider) with pea crisps.
Can confirm.

HNL - CLT | 5/14 | Y

Received a snack box about 40 mins after departure, it consisted of a ham & cheese petit bouchon style roll (quite literally 3 bites in it) and a packet of pea flavoured (!) chips. Quite bizarre. There was 1 drink service around the same time, along with some biscoffs. Then nada til 40 mins pre landing when there was another drink service. Suffice to say, Y is not a pleasant place to be right now, on a 9hr flight with service resembling that of a 90 minute flight pre COVID. I was right behind PE in Y and they got the exact same service. Anyone paying cash for PE right now is being taken to the cleaners.

We did have time for no less than 3 credit card pitches along the way though.

Last edited by ChurnieEls; May 15, 2021 at 9:45 am
Old May 15, 2021, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
We did have time for no less than 3 credit card pitches along the way though.
What?

Old May 15, 2021, 9:40 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by enviroian
What?

Yup, 2 within the first hour and then 1 super drawn out one before landing.

Did you know that the 60k miles from your Barclays Aviator card could get you a round trip ticket back to Hawaii? After purchasing just a cup of coffee.
Old May 15, 2021, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Did you know that the 60k miles from your Barclays Aviator card could get you a round trip ticket back to Hawaii? After purchasing just a cup of coffee.

You should've opened up aa.com on your laptop and did an awards search and ask the flight attendant where are those 60K awards?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.