Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus COVID-19 AA paid & award China et al cancel / change / questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2020, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread is about AA policies and related issues pertaining to COVID-19 aka “Wuhan 2019-nCoV” Coronavirus outbreak.

NOTE: Current AA Travel Advisory covers (others may yet come):
China
Hong Kong SAR
Italy
South Korea

Link to AA travel alerts

Based on the U.S. Department of State’s recent increase of the China Travel Advisory to a Level 4 (Do Not Travel), American is suspending its operations to and from the Chinese mainland and Hong Kong ... Teams are contacting affected customers directly to accommodate their needs. AA will continue to evaluate the schedule to make any adjustments as necessary.

AA has extended cancellations as follows as of Friday, February 14:

Flights between DFW and LAX and PEK (Beijing) and PVG (Shanghai Pudong) are suspended through April 24.

Flights between DFW and HKG (Hong Kong) are suspended through April 23.

Flights between LAX and HKG (Hong Kong) are suspended through April 24.

Link

IATA Timatic listing of global restrictions for airbpassengers who have been in China or transited China...

“CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK IN CHINA (PEOPLE'S REP.) - UPDATE 02.02.2020
28 January 2020In connection with the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCov) outbreak in China (People's Rep.), the following changes have been published in Timatic (02.02.2020):
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm”

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus COVID-19 AA paid & award China et al cancel / change / questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2020, 4:26 pm

The current travel alert is through March 27th. My tix are for March 28th. I don't know if they will consider my ticket for changes, but ideally I would like to cancel + get a refund. Flight is PVG-LAX.

1. Flight is after a China group tour that we are now rescheduling -- probably spring of 2021 -- really haven't decided yet as this all just happened. Tour company said it would allow rescheduling up to 18 months.
2. We will be adding travel to Japan after the China tour so now we would want to fly back from Japan rather than PVG if possible.
3. I don't have new travel dates to give to AA at this time and most definitely not within 1 year of the original purchase date of this ticket (July 2019).
4. I don't know if asking for travel vouchers in lieu of a refund is an option and how long vouchers are good for -- a year? What if my flight is March 28th and we don't travel till May of 2021 -- would we just have to book it within a year?

I realize the first problem is my date is ONE DAY out of the current alert.... I figured I should wait a couple of weeks before I call but I still don't know what answer to expect from AA. However, we are definitely not traveling on March 28th because our China tour is definitely being rescheduled.

Thanks for any advice
Old Feb 3, 2020, 5:07 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
i think DFW/LAX HKG is now cancelled through Feb 12
Old Feb 3, 2020, 5:54 pm

Anyone had any success calling about award travel booked after the current waiver period and getting the miles reinstated without fee? I've currently got a HKG-LAX-DFW booking on AA metal for April, and with everything going on, it's making it virtually impossible to plan the rest of the trip. I'll be in Japan the previous week, and can easily cleave the HKG part off the trip (and just buy tickets back from Tokyo), but it'd be nice to not have to pay the fee plus but tickets. AA PLT status, so still in the reinstatement charge territory.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
Originally Posted by ALadyNCal
The current travel alert is through March 27th. My tix are for March 28th. I don't know if they will consider my ticket for changes, but ideally I would like to cancel + get a refund. Flight is PVG-LAX.

I realize the first problem is my date is ONE DAY out of the current alert.... I figured I should wait a couple of weeks before I call but I still don't know what answer to expect from AA.

Thanks for any advice
I can only offer my approach on it. I am ticketed to PVG on March 31, so a somewhat similar situation. I am just waiting around for the waiver to get extended. DL has already waived flights into April, UA has matched AA's date, but I am thinking that before too long, AA might extend the waiver. The best part that I see about the waiver is that it seems that it would allow ticketed passengers to change the origin/destination to Tokyo or Seoul, which would work out just great for me. I have no insider knowledge of anything, but I am doing the same thing that you are doing and waiting a few weeks.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 6:35 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Pt, CBP Global Entry
Originally Posted by pbd456
i think DFW/LAX HKG is now cancelled through Feb 12
My aunt's flight HKG-DFW on Feb 13 was just canceled.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by ngoc92
My aunt's flight HKG-DFW on Feb 13 was just canceled.
i think the aircraft rotates LAX HKG DFW. if the Feb 11 LAX HKG is cancelled, then no aircraft to arrive at 7am on Feb 13 for HKG DFW
Old Feb 3, 2020, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA
My 2/9 LAX-HKG was just cancelled.

No options available to rebook.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 6:55 pm

Hey all- I posted this way earlier but no response.

I used 2 SWU's on a colleague's flight to/from PEK which has now been canceled. He will ultimately go to China once the situation is resolved so ideally I'd like to preserve the upgrades.

What is the protocol for this situation? Should I tell him not call in for the refund, and just wait until he has new flight dates? Worst case, I want the SWU's back w/ extended expiration (they expired 1/31).
Old Feb 3, 2020, 7:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
I've got AA award seats in J for Mar:
02-03 TPA-DFW-NRT-MNL (AA/JL/JL)
18 SGN-HKG-ORD-TPA. (CX/CX/AA)

Outbound should be ok and would probably cost me a fee to cancel. CX has a waiver for HKG but only through Feb 29.

So I could proceed with booking the hotels and area flights, and keep an eye on whether I'll need to rebook the return, presumably by contacting AA?

But I know finding award J for the new return is going to be darn near impossible. Maybe I should just sit tight on further bookings and hope CX extends its waiver, then shift the trip's dates by a couple months. Which will still probably leave me paying the fee at least on the outbound, and still have the challenge of finding seats.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by kcramp858
My 2/9 LAX-HKG was just cancelled.

No options available to rebook.
Have you tried calling in to see what the options are? They might let you change dates but since the waiver is pretty clear that it's one-time use only, you may be stuck. Once the flight is cancelled you should be able to get a refund instead.
bse118 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by brenc3
Have you tried calling in to see what the options are? They might let you change dates but since the waiver is pretty clear that it's one-time use only, you may be stuck. Once the flight is cancelled you should be able to get a refund instead.
Just got off the phone. They cancelled all LAX-HKG through 2/14. They rebooked me on 2/16 free of charge.

In reality, I should have cancelled and taken the refund.. I just checked the new fare for that date and it's 250usd less than I paid last December for this fare.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by kcramp858
Just got off the phone. They cancelled all LAX-HKG through 2/14. They rebooked me on 2/16 free of charge.

In reality, I should have cancelled and taken the refund.. I just checked the new fare for that date and it's 250usd less than I paid last December for this fare.
call back immediately to see if you can claim it is within 24 hours?
did they offer you HKG TYO/ICN LAX instead?
Old Feb 3, 2020, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
I've got AA award seats in J for Mar:
02-03 TPA-DFW-NRT-MNL (AA/JL/JL)
18 SGN-HKG-ORD-TPA. (CX/CX/AA)

Outbound should be ok and would probably cost me a fee to cancel. CX has a waiver for HKG but only through Feb 29.

So I could proceed with booking the hotels and area flights, and keep an eye on whether I'll need to rebook the return, presumably by contacting AA?

But I know finding award J for the new return is going to be darn near impossible. Maybe I should just sit tight on further bookings and hope CX extends its waiver, then shift the trip's dates by a couple months. Which will still probably leave me paying the fee at least on the outbound, and still have the challenge of finding seats.
It should be AA's waiver that applies, since AA issued the ticket. It's possible that the HKG waiver will get extended past 2/29 but who knows at this point.

It's really a question of whether you're comfortable traveling in SE Asia and transiting through HKG on the return. Right now both of those things seem low risk and there aren't any restrictions on HKG transit when returning to the US but things could change.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 8:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by brenc3
It should be AA's waiver that applies, since AA issued the ticket. It's possible that the HKG waiver will get extended past 2/29 but who knows at this point.

It's really a question of whether you're comfortable traveling in SE Asia and transiting through HKG on the return. Right now both of those things seem low risk and there aren't any restrictions on HKG transit when returning to the US but things could change.
Unfortunately, I don't think that's true; AA's waiver specifically applies to AA flights only. So if CX extends its waiver past Mar 18, I fear being stuck in the same Catch-22 that others have reported here.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Unfortunately, I don't think that's true; AA's waiver specifically applies to AA flights only. So if CX extends its waiver past Mar 18, I fear being stuck in the same Catch-22 that others have reported here.
From talking to the ExPlat desk this morning, they would handle the change in the itinerary and would use the AA waiver. For example, I’m still scheduled to fly on 3/10 on AA193 (LAX-HKG) connecting to CX925 (HKG-CEB) and even though the AA itinerary has the HKG-CEB coded as CX925, it would still be amended by AA and not CX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.