Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus COVID-19 AA paid & award China et al cancel / change / questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2020, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread is about AA policies and related issues pertaining to COVID-19 aka “Wuhan 2019-nCoV” Coronavirus outbreak.

NOTE: Current AA Travel Advisory covers (others may yet come):
China
Hong Kong SAR
Italy
South Korea

Link to AA travel alerts

Based on the U.S. Department of State’s recent increase of the China Travel Advisory to a Level 4 (Do Not Travel), American is suspending its operations to and from the Chinese mainland and Hong Kong ... Teams are contacting affected customers directly to accommodate their needs. AA will continue to evaluate the schedule to make any adjustments as necessary.

AA has extended cancellations as follows as of Friday, February 14:

Flights between DFW and LAX and PEK (Beijing) and PVG (Shanghai Pudong) are suspended through April 24.

Flights between DFW and HKG (Hong Kong) are suspended through April 23.

Flights between LAX and HKG (Hong Kong) are suspended through April 24.

Link

IATA Timatic listing of global restrictions for airbpassengers who have been in China or transited China...

“CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK IN CHINA (PEOPLE'S REP.) - UPDATE 02.02.2020
28 January 2020In connection with the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCov) outbreak in China (People's Rep.), the following changes have been published in Timatic (02.02.2020):
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm”

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus COVID-19 AA paid & award China et al cancel / change / questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:16 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by brenc3
That's good info to know re: the one change per waiver update. It makes sense as the situation is fluid.

It's also good to hear that people on mixed itineraries are getting rebooked to their final destination, especially on non-Oneworld carriers. These can be really complicated changes so if you get a phone agent who is especially good, please consider sending AA an note commending them.
I already sent a kudos to AA on behalf of the agent. She did an amazing job getting overrides and spending the time to re-route and re-issue the itinerary.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:09 am

-deleted

Last edited by hkgg; Apr 5, 2020 at 1:51 am
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:15 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by JDiver
You will earn as if flying AA on an AA marketed flight operated by CX. If it’s a fare code used for paid Business, you’ll earn as if flying that fare code on AA.

I doubt you’ll be able to upgrade an AA marketed flight with Asia Miles, but that’s really a question for the Cathay forum.
50k miles upgrade to first is a bit steep anyways. But I guess from $300 + SWU it wouldn't be too bad.

By my math, my earn on this segment will be:

With the AA code: ~3300 RDM / 14520 EQM / ~300 EQD
If I had been given a CX code: 9075 RDM / 10890 EQM / 1815 EQD

If I give it to AS: 16335 RDM / 9075 EQM

I guess ideal would have been the CX code. AA code earns me most EQM but very little of the rest. I could also credit to Alaska and earn the most miles,

AA doesn't give an elite bonus on partner codes huh? No 120% extra RDM for EXP?
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by helvetic
AA doesn't give an elite bonus on partner codes huh? No 120% extra RDM for EXP?
Yes they do.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes they do.
So then, If I had been given a CX code it'd be: 17787 RDM / 10890 EQM / 1815 EQD… right? For a D class booking.

Will AA give you the CX code if you ask?
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:08 am

Ugh I have a flight in mid May that was changed from a Jal route that got canceled and put Dfw-Hkg-Kul. I really hope everything goes back to normal by then.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by fgirard
It took 3h 25m to re-arrange my itinerary.
Gives me a headache just thinking about that.... I can't believe it took that long. WOW. And I can't believe you weren't disconnected in the process!
Old Feb 5, 2020, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by ALadyNCal
Gives me a headache just thinking about that.... I can't believe it took that long. WOW. And I can't believe you weren't disconnected in the process!
I popped in some Bluetooth headphones and did other things and then took the phone with me as I had some errands to do.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 2:40 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hilton
I had cancelled my 2/18 LAX-HKG flight before they announced the cancellations until 2/20. I emailed them and they promptly refunded my fare.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:56 pm

Anyone have AA ticket but flying CX able to get a full refund?

My ticket matches all 4 bullet points down there, I called twice, one said it's CX metal, no go, one said I can only get a refund if AA cancelled the flight on me first... then I can get full refund.

Shell I wait a little longer before I call again?

Cancel your trip and request a refund

You can cancel and get a refund for the segments of your trip you haven’t flown if:
  • Your ticket was issued by American Airlines
  • You bought your ticket by January 28, 2020
  • You're scheduled to travel January 28 - March 31, 2020
  • You cancel your trip before your outbound flight departs
Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by catcathk

My ticket matches all 4 bullet points down there, I called twice, one said it's CX metal, no go, one said I can only get a refund if AA cancelled the flight on me first... then I can get full refund.

You can cancel and get a refund for the segments of your trip you haven’t flown if:
Call back and get a supervisor (ask for Cleo if you call tonight). I got an Agent giving me the same malarkey tonight but the supervisor on duty processed the refund right away with no redeposit fee (I was on CX metal issued by AA). With the changing waivers, it seems like the Agents are having trouble keeping track of the rules.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:22 am

Thank you, good data point.... I'll try again.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by catcathk

I had an itinerary purchased on aa.com that was AA193 > CX925 and I got it successfully changed, but it did require a lengthy telephone call while the agent made it happen. I ended up getting swapped to AA8407/JL61 > JL745 > PR. The trick is to find an AA codeshare that the agent can work with.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 12:36 pm

thank you for your help, I am looking for cancellation. It meant to be a short trip to the state, now with the 14 days quarantine, no point coming over anyway.... if I can cancel this, there's still hotel I have to deal with....
Old Feb 6, 2020, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by fgirard
I had an itinerary purchased on aa.com that was AA193 > CX925 and I got it successfully changed, but it did require a lengthy telephone call while the agent made it happen. I ended up getting swapped to AA8407/JL61 > JL745 > PR. The trick is to find an AA codeshare that the agent can work with.
So they require a codeshare huh?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.