FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Coronavirus COVID-19 AA paid & award China et al cancel / change / questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2006605-coronavirus-covid-19-aa-paid-award-china-et-al-cancel-change-questions.html)

nowayout203 Jan 24, 2020 12:35 pm

Coronavirus COVID-19 AA paid & award China et al cancel / change / questions

Has anyone attempted to get AA to waive change fees or get refunds on non refundable tickets to/from China due to the virus outbreak there? Please share any such experiences with Reservations if you have any. Thanks.

I know AA has a travel waiver for Wuhan, but was more wondering about other parts of China.

donotblink Jan 24, 2020 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by nowayout203 (Post 31990582)
Has anyone attempted to get AA to waive change fees or get refunds on non refundable tickets to/from China due to the virus outbreak there? Please share any such experiences with Reservations if you have any. Thanks.

I know AA has a travel waiver for Wuhan, but was more wondering about other parts of China.

Try customer relations, they helped me out when the Hong Kong protests were really bad, despite there not being a travel alert. They hooked me up with a change fee waiver that was more that $800 IIRC!

nowayout203 Jan 24, 2020 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink (Post 31990595)
Try customer relations, they helped me out when the Hong Kong protests were really bad, despite there not being a travel alert. They hooked me up with a change fee waiver that was more that $800 IIRC!

Customer Relations by phone or online form?

donotblink Jan 24, 2020 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by nowayout203 (Post 31990598)
Customer Relations by phone or online form?

Online form.

MrJBoy Jan 24, 2020 6:07 pm

Travel Alert: Novel Coronavirus - China

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/travel-alerts.jsp

perigord Jan 24, 2020 6:22 pm

Recent development? Nothing as of 7:00 am pacific time - four hours before 10:55 am Jan 24 departure from LAX to PEK. While a very dynamic and rapidly evolving situation, airlines seem to be slow to issue travel advisories.

iahphx Jan 24, 2020 7:59 pm

I feel for you. I'm glad my next trip to China isn't for a few months. I wouldn't feel great about going now. All things being equal, I just don't like making other people's problems my own for no good reason. That said, if you're not headed to Wuhan, the risk seems quite low. If you contact AA, they may help. I have found them helpful in circumstances such as this one.

dls25 Jan 25, 2020 10:22 am

AA has travel alerts for WUH, PEK and PVG at the moment so it should not be a problem.

thelark Jan 25, 2020 11:00 am

Heading to HKG on Tuesday so keeping a close eye on this. If there’s a waiver I’ll reschedule.

iahphx Jan 25, 2020 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by thelark (Post 31993519)
Heading to HKG on Tuesday so keeping a close eye on this. If there’s a waiver I’ll reschedule.

That AA policy is quite fair: it's nice to see an airline do the right thing. I had tickets last month to Paris during the height of the strikes which shut down almost all public transportation and a foreign airline (LEVEL) would do nothing for me.

I am surprised that HKG is not on the waiver list. Seems like an oversight. I know the Hong Kong gov't has declared an "emergency" and is doing many of the same thing they're doing in Beijing and Shanghai. I suspect AA will very quickly put HKG on the waiver list.

BTW, if I understand AA's policy correctly, if you're holding a ticket to China, can you simply apply the value of that ticket to any other destination in the world up to 331 days after your ticket purchase date? If so, that seems very nice and generous.

zzyzx Jan 28, 2020 7:10 pm

Coronavirus COVID-19 AA paid & award China HKG-PEK-PVG cancel / change / questions

In early January(before Jan 10), I booked from AA.com all with miles, a trip from SFO to HGH(to Hangzhou via Kathay Pacific & Dragon Air for 37500 miles) on Feb 9,2020 layover in HongKong
and the return is on Feb 22, 2020 from PVG to SJC (layover in LAX, all on AA, for 22000 miles), Those are two separated bookings.
Now, AA.com says it could waive change fees for travel now through Feb 29, 2020
My questions, if cancel all trips, is it possible for me to get the fee waived? I am not a Executive Platinum member.

I appreciate anyone can give an insight info before I can make a decision.

Often1 Jan 28, 2020 7:17 pm

AA posts its waivers covering changes, delays and cancellations on its website. The warnings for Hong Kong and China appear to change at least once daily.

If you want to cancel for a refund, I would call AA and ask that it waive the redeposit fee under the circumstances. If it won't, just sit tight. The waiver for the rest of China may well change to a cancel for full refund anytime and you are not traveling until the 9th.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/travel-alerts.jsp

JDiver Jan 28, 2020 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by zzyzx (Post 32006170)
In early January(before Jan 10), I booked from AA.com all with miles, a trip from SFO to HGH(to Hangzhou via Kathay Pacific & Dragon Air for 37500 miles) on Feb 9,2020 layover in HongKong
and the return is on Feb 22, 2020 from PVG to SJC (layover in LAX, all on AA, for 22000 miles), Those are two separated bookings.
Now, AA.com says it could waive change fees for travel now through Feb 29, 2020
My questions, if cancel all trips, is it possible for me to get the fee waived? I am not a Executive Platinum member.

I appreciate anyone can give an insight info before I can make a decision.

We’ve repurposed the thread to deal with all AA Novel Coronavirus related issues. /Moderator

Given the circumstances and the lack of specificity about awards on the AA Travel Alerts policy, I’d recommend calling and asking for a miles redeposit fee waiver, stating that your trip would be a trip in vain with moving the flight out to a future date, as long as cancellation is what you want. (Those are phrases they’re used to.)

SouthernCross Jan 29, 2020 12:04 pm

Has there been any indication whether AA will cancel or suspend PEK/PVG flights?

potus18 Jan 29, 2020 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by SouthernCross (Post 32008899)
Has there been any indication whether AA will cancel or suspend PEK/PVG flights?

LAX/PEK and LAX/PVG are suspended 2/9-3/27