Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus COVID-19 AA paid & award China et al cancel / change / questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2020, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread is about AA policies and related issues pertaining to COVID-19 aka “Wuhan 2019-nCoV” Coronavirus outbreak.

NOTE: Current AA Travel Advisory covers (others may yet come):
China
Hong Kong SAR
Italy
South Korea

Link to AA travel alerts

Based on the U.S. Department of State’s recent increase of the China Travel Advisory to a Level 4 (Do Not Travel), American is suspending its operations to and from the Chinese mainland and Hong Kong ... Teams are contacting affected customers directly to accommodate their needs. AA will continue to evaluate the schedule to make any adjustments as necessary.

AA has extended cancellations as follows as of Friday, February 14:

Flights between DFW and LAX and PEK (Beijing) and PVG (Shanghai Pudong) are suspended through April 24.

Flights between DFW and HKG (Hong Kong) are suspended through April 23.

Flights between LAX and HKG (Hong Kong) are suspended through April 24.

Link

IATA Timatic listing of global restrictions for airbpassengers who have been in China or transited China...

“CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK IN CHINA (PEOPLE'S REP.) - UPDATE 02.02.2020
28 January 2020In connection with the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCov) outbreak in China (People's Rep.), the following changes have been published in Timatic (02.02.2020):
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm”

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus COVID-19 AA paid & award China et al cancel / change / questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2020, 9:26 am

I have a trip in mid-March (<21 days from now) to Japan that is booked using AA miles on JL metal. If I change the dates (not canceling) to this fall, do I have to pay the $75 close-in booking fee, or does the 21-day rule only applies to the new date? Thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2020, 3:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DJSchokolade
I have a trip in mid-March (<21 days from now) to Japan that is booked using AA miles on JL metal. If I change the dates (not canceling) to this fall, do I have to pay the $75 close-in booking fee, or does the 21-day rule only applies to the new date? Thanks!
I believe AA got rid of close in fee.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 6:40 pm

Programs: free agent
I have award booking in late May involve CX for my Philippines trip. As things stand right now, Philippines still ban foreigners who only "TRANSIT" through HKG and obviously, I hope they will rescind the ban next 1-2 month if CV is slowing down in China (and probably some pressure by China on Duterte administration).

I'll wait till early-mid May but my question - what's my option with award booking if ban still stand? Can I force AA to reroute with JAL or even other carriers that aren't affected by Philippines' current travel ban policy?
Old Mar 2, 2020, 6:49 pm

Hi! I have a special situation here. Hopefully, someone can help me out. I had a flight from PVG-KIX-LAX in Oct 2019 booked JAL with AA miles. I had travel plan changed, the AA rep told me they can put my reservation on hold for a year. That was fine for me because i was going to travel the same route in March of 2020. However, now with the corona virus, I can no longer travel the same route with JAL in March 2020. I called AA and was told that I have to pay $150 to cancel the flight and get my miles back. They said even if theres no flight all the way till Oct 2020, I would still have to pay that fee to cancel. I asked if they would extend another year for me till Oct 2021, they said no. Is there any option for me? If theres no flight for me to book, I'm not sure why I have to pay the cancelation fee. Thank you in advance!
Old Mar 4, 2020, 12:04 am

I have a KTM-ICN-DFW rt itin ticketed on AA 001 stock in J that got affected by the ICN-DFW-ICN cancellation. AA refuses to re-route/protect - had a reasonable reroute proposal on QR/BA. Any advice?
Old Mar 4, 2020, 12:57 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by currentjer
I have a KTM-ICN-DFW rt itin ticketed on AA 001 stock in J that got affected by the ICN-DFW-ICN cancellation. AA refuses to re-route/protect - had a reasonable reroute proposal on QR/BA. Any advice?
So they cancelled your flight but refuse to reroute you? What alternatives did they offer? Refund?
Old Mar 4, 2020, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by FAA1996
So they cancelled your flight but refuse to reroute you? What alternatives did they offer? Refund?
The Singapore/Malaysia call center insisted on pushing the flight into May/June or refund. Twitter was the same - said that no protection would be offered for suspension of service. Called the US line and they were so wonderful and offered re-route but didn't allow initial proposal of QR/BA. They found me a transpacific routing and it solved everything - got to where I needed to go a little later than I expected, but glad to have been helped. Safe travels, everybody!

Last edited by currentjer; Mar 4, 2020 at 2:24 am
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:13 pm

I have reservation booked through AA miles on Qatar to DEL and back going next week back in Apr. India (on 3/11) has cancelled all visitors visa entry till Apr 15 and I won't be able make this trip anymore. I called AA to figure out my options and they won't refund without charging me a refund fees of $150. I don't want to leave it open to 1 yr option (which they said was Dec 18 2020 for me as that is 1 yr from when I booked the trip) as I don't know if I will be able to make the trip in a year anyway. How can we get information to the higher ups in AA so that they can update their refund policy for India? Looking at the travel advisory on AA.com (latest as of 3/10), it does not list refund options for trips to India.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.