Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Penalty for Selling My AA Miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA
I am going to contest the email and prove she is my aunt.
I did post the AD on CL and had people reach out to me but no sale ever went thru.
My ad on CL stated 300K miles for sale, because I had more and I was struggling to get tickets for my travel so I deiced to see if I can sell and get my money back for what I paid for. I know they linked me thru my number because my ad did have my number posted and then with the timing me booking a ticket for my aunt for next year just collided thinking I sold my miles
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I doubt that AA cares or that it matters that your aunt's ticket was not purchased by her in violation of the program.

AA has not focused on your aunt, rather it has expressly told you that your violation was in offering the miles for sale.

Cancelling outstanding tickets such as your aunt's is likely necessary to meet the penalty.

But, it does not hurt to send an email. Don't expect anything positive.
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by razzaba

If OP is being honest, I’m not sure it’s the same thing. Using your analogy, I can’t get a $300 ticket for driving around the parking lot and thinking about parking in a handicapped spot, but then ultimately not doing so.

I do get that TOC state that you cant advertise miles for sale, though.
I believe that he bought his "aunt" a ticket with the miles.
That is more than driving around the parking lot and thinking about parking in the handicapped spot. He had plunked himself in that slot.
(Maybe, in this analogy, he was still in the car when he got the ticket )
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rocketsingh
I did post the AD on CL and had people reach out to me but no sale ever went thru.
My ad on CL stated 300K miles for sale, because I had more and I was struggling to get tickets for my travel so I deiced to see if I can sell and get my money back for what I paid for. I know they linked me thru my number because my ad did have my number posted and then with the timing me booking a ticket for my aunt for next year just collided thinking I sold my miles
Well, this is what is known in the AA fraud office as a 'slam dunk' case. You identified yourself as a vendor of miles (against AA rules). Then you bought a ticket for your 'aunt'. Whether or not she is a relation and whether or not your received anything in return for the flight you booked will be largely irrelevant to AA, I suspect.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Don't reply to the email in a confrontational way or you will lose. AA are quite within their rights to do what they did and your only hope is to persuade them that you truly did not know that you were not allowed to advertise or sell the miles. This may not get you very far as the T&C are quite clear. You also need to prove that the ticket was for your aunt and that no consideration was exchanged for it. It is just possible that AA will be kind to you but, as I said above, not banning you from the program is already a concession.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:01 am
Suspended

I am going to contest the email and prove she is my aunt...
The only way that would have any effect on the status of the case is if that's a question they're actually asking.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
The more you stir this the more it will stink.

Get a new number and move on,
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by satman40
..Get a new number and move on,
No.
MikeFly and Often1 like this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:05 am

Exactly what are you contesting? AA is penalizing you for offering to sell miles, which is against the terms of their frequent flyer program. They would happily tell you that it is great that you can prove you bought a ticket for your aunt. However, the violation of offering miles for sale still stands and that is enough for them to not only penalize you by deducting a large portion of miles and cancelling existing tickets, but also closing the account altogether.
BearX220 and trooper like this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rumboj
...the violation of offering miles for sale still stands and that is enough for them to not only penalize you by deducting a large portion of miles and cancelling existing tickets, but also closing the account altogether. [/left]
I don't agree. There had/has to be intermediate (and/or previous) infraction(s) or non responsiveness to have resulted in that and the email the OP posts in his opening post.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
The only way that would have any effect on the status of the case is if that's a question they're actually asking.
AA did wait to act until OP actually redeemed miles for a third party ticket but this may mean nothing. OP's post above also indicates that the account still contains miles and has been left open so that is already a concession by AA. It may still be useful if OP can prove that there was no actual sale of miles even if it doesn't bring them back.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:12 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Well is there proof that AA ever saw the Craigslist post? Could it be he bought a huge number of miles then suddenly a ticket not in his name was booked for someone, likely with a different last name and address. There would be no way for AA to ascertain this person is his Aunt but certainly buying a horde of miles and never using them for yourself (or someone in your immediate family with your last name) would look awfully suspicious.

Either way the OP has made his own bed. If he can provide definitive objective proof of his relationship and admit to the attempt to sell miles (which AA might not even know about) he might get back his 300K miles but I wouldn't count on it.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MADPhil
...OP's post above also indicates that the account still contains miles and has been left open so that is already a concession by AA.
That's not how I read:
you will be ineligible to participate in the AAdvantage program in the future.
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
..Could it be he bought a huge number of miles then suddenly a ticket not in his name was booked for someone, likely with a different last name and address. There would be no way for AA to ascertain this person is his Aunt but certainly buying a horde of miles and never using them for yourself (or someone in your immediate family with your last name) would look awfully suspicious.
Not a possibility, no. Craigslist thing is very obvious.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
That's not how I read:
That phrase follows AA saying that any future violation will result in the account being closed and OP also mentions having 450K miles in total whereas AA only penalised OP by cancelling the 300K advertised. That leads me to believe that AA has already been lenient by revenue protection standards.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:25 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Advertising the sale of AA miles openly on the Internet is like a glow post for AA to come after the advertiser who is selling his/her miles and to extract a penalty in the form of seizing the miles being sold (and even more) and/or shutting down the AA account.

History keeps repeating itself in this regard too.
btonkid12345 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.