Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rumor, Speculation: AAdvantage Program Devaluation 31 Jul 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club

Never enjoy seeing Twitter updates like this from @JonNYC

AAdvantage project, date of 31JUL19, looks to be potentially major. And, from my very, very, very, very, very cursory look/understanding of it, negative.
Dynamic award pricing, upgrades...
Antarius likes this.

Last edited by aztimm; May 30, 2019 at 5:56 pm Reason: Rule 7
Old May 30, 2019, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
SWU’s only from Y-W or W-J or J-F is my expectation

Really don’t know how many more of these devaluations I can sit through while they make us spend more and decreases upgrades and make the domestic experience even worse.
Spiff, jordyn, enviroian and 3 others like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 5:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Moderator note:

I'd like to remind everyone of the FlyerTalk rules, specifically Rule 7:
https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#externallinks
:FlyerTalk is here for the purpose of sharing meaningful information. Don't simply post a link by itself to another source, such as an article or blog. (See also, Rule 9 — Posting Copyrighted Material.) Posts containing such links should contain enough information so as to be contributive to FlyerTalk itself.If linking to your own blog, to a blog on behalf of someone, or to a blog of which you are a periodic or regular contributor, you must identify that fact in your post and you must include enough content for the FlyerTalk post to stand on its own without following the link. Do not post repeatedly in a manner that has the effect or purpose of driving traffic to a blog or website.Exceptions to this rule include:
  1. Linking to a travel program website page containing information relevant to the discussion (such as a ticketing rule or terms & conditions of a promotion being discussed in the thread);
  2. Linking to the websites of established news organizations or to company press releases with details of an ongoing news event (such as an airline or hotel incident). In such a case, merely providing the headline of the new item along with a link to it, without posting additional content, is allowable.
Posts that do not conform to these rules may be deleted and repetitive offenses may subject the poster to discipline.

An image to an external website that is commonly blocked by many corporations (mine included) simply frustrates other users. If you feel the need to post, copy/paste the text. Your post on FlyerTalk should be able to stand by itself, without having a user visit an external website.

Any questions, ask one of the moderators.

aztimm

JDiver, ijgordon, deeruck and 3 others like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
SWU’s only from Y-W or W-J or J-F is my expectation
This is what scares me the most and I expect it’s coming.

This would be the fatal blow for the (barely) value added feature of EXP status.
Old May 30, 2019, 6:13 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Don’t be surprised if AA tacks on fare class restrictions to SWUs.
Old May 30, 2019, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Ala UA for their GPU’s.
Old May 30, 2019, 6:20 pm
Suspended

No foundation at this juncture
GTITAN, jhartvu and heavy.image like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 6:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Questions, questions.

Was the introduction of dynamic AAnytime wards the first link?

Was the introduction of the Economy Web Special Award another link leading to dynamic pricing awards / no charts?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ct-2018-a.html
GTITAN and george 3 like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by JDiver
Questions, questions.

Was the introduction of dynamic AAnytime wards the first link?

Was the introduction of the Economy Web Special Award another link leading to dynamic pricing awards / no charts?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ct-2018-a.html
All of these are why I posted in the other thread that Dynamic Pricing at this point should surprise no one. Let's hope it does not impact partners.

Safe Travels
JDiver and george 3 like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Dynamic award pricing is inevitable and would have absolutely zero impact on how I view the program.

Changes to SWUs, OTOH, would.

That said - I'll react when there's something to actually react to. Rumors do nothing for me.
deeruck, GTITAN, Antarius and 1 others like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 6:25 pm

They simply can’t make SWU Y->W. In terms of value, that would be devastating. That has been rumoured countless number of times, and every time it has been proven to be unfounded.

Surely JonNYC can quash it again this time around.

Last edited by AndyAA; May 30, 2019 at 6:36 pm
Old May 30, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Call me crazy but I don’t mind the economy web special fares... I’ve found some good deals there.

anytime I can fly SFO-DFW for 16k miles on Memorial Day booking 6 days out... can’t complain.
travelmad478 likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Any guesses if these changes would be implemented with no notice? Or if we would have a few months to take advantage of the existing chart.
Old May 30, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP,SPG 75
Originally Posted by AndyAA
They simply can’t make SWU Y->W. In terms of value, that would be devastating. That has been rumoured countless number of times, and every time it has been proven to be unfounded.

Surely JonNYC can quash it again this time around.
I know most people will be aggravated (I do sympathize) by this change and my opinion is likely unpopular, but it is time AA did this. Everyone knew that as soon as W went in that is where Y would upgrade to eventually. This change helps AA better monetize W. I know many EPs will end up paying the extra money to buy a W ticket now and it will likely clear into J easier now. It is a win for AA and it is a win for people that can afford W (or their corporate policy limits them to W) from getting jumped by an EP in Y with higher spend.

I'll welcome the change too when AA officially adds W (Them adding drinks to MCE was the beginning) on their domestic flights and modifies the upgrade policy like DL has on their domestic upgrades. AA needs these changes (plus obviously de-OASIS-fying, which seems to be in the cards) to catch up with DLs RASM advantage.
PlatinumScum likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I don't think SWUs being Y->W or W->J is too likely, for starters I would point out that Delta has not done that as of yet so good chance no one at AA has even thought of it. Second, Delta hasn't done that yet.

My guess is more dynamic pricing, lets hope it only applies to AA metal and not partners since that would have the most minimal impact given AA doesn't really release premium awards on their own planes anymore.
GTITAN and Antarius like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.