Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rumor, Speculation: AAdvantage Program Devaluation 31 Jul 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor, Speculation: AAdvantage Program Devaluation 31 Jul 2019

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by AndyAA
They simply can’t make SWU Y->W. In terms of value, that would be devastating. That has been rumoured countless number of times, and every time it has been proven to be unfounded.

Surely JonNYC can quash it again this time around.
I’m confused so I guess I have to ask because I don’t fly the other carriers. Exactly, what is DL’s and UA’s policy regarding whatever feature they have that is similar to AA’s SWU? Do they go Y to PE and PE to J?

If so, why would AA want to be the odd man out?
Old May 30, 2019, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by rumboj

I’m confused so I guess I have to ask because I don’t fly the other carriers. Exactly, what is DL’s and UA’s policy regarding whatever feature they have that is similar to AA’s SWU? Do they go Y to PE and PE to J?

As far as I can tell it is all speculation at this point.
Old May 30, 2019, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by rumboj

I can’t speak to UA, but DL allows SWUs from Y to PE, PE to J, or Y to J. But you only get one shot at it... if you choose to upgrade Y —> PE, then you need to burn another SWU if you decide you want to go from PE —> J.

In the not-too-distant-future, I expect SWUs to become single-cabin upgrades on all the US legacy carriers. Up until a few years ago, Delta required VERY expensive fare classes to use the upgrade certificates... often more expensive than just buying discount J. So the carriers haven’t exactly been in lockstep here. I think AA would be fine offering single-cabin upgrades while Delta allowed Y—> J.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
This would be a major set back - SWU changes. If AA opened up inventory to make it easier to confirm - then maybe OK. J to F on the 77W usually has good availability. If W to J had lots of advance availability at time of ticketing then maybe this would work.

But if you have to buy W with no guarantee - then really bad.

UA fliers can only use SWU with a W fare or higher (W is not Premium Economy on UA). W is about $300 higher than a cheap fare. But flyers have to buy up with no guarantee.

I am not a big fan of the new Premium Economy on AA. Just flew to Europe on a 77W and outbound SWU did not clear, but I had better seat in Y Bulkhead then the Premium Economy seat in front.

Planning to drop from EXP to Plat Pro for next year then phase out to Plat earn or just use LT Gold. Going back to UA with the EXP changes.

Big issue with AA in my view - is lack of MCE seats on the wide bodies that now have PE. The 77W has 28 PE seats and only 28 MCE. And the MCE are mostly only Exit rows and a couple of rows way in the back of the plane. UA still has a large number of E+ seats. I had trouble getting a decent MCE when I booked a ticket 2 months in advance. With Oasis configurations on 738 - AA is eliminating the reasons to fly them.
enviroian and SouthernCross like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
For those that cannot reach Twitter, there was a followup tweet from JohnNYC:
so, one informed interpretation is that this phase could just be the addition of Y-> PE mileage upgrades-- everything else unaffected. I can't read it that way myself, but FWIW.
That wouldn't be bad, if that's all it is, though could see that being a harbinger of things to come regarding SWUs...
Old May 30, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
It felt like time for an award devaluation to me. I’ll point out that the last round of significant changes, there was nothing about devaluation of awards until it hit. There were even countless people here saying it was only earning and EQD and SWU changes. I felt like a devaluation had to happen starting about 6 months ago because i could get way more with AA miles than almost any other miles except AS miles. I found 5 biz awards to Asia and 5 first awards to europe and some exKTM biz tickets to burn SWUs for 5 of us into F because it seemed like time to burn, notwithstanding some very attractive premium cabin fares we could have used instead.
Happy to watch this one play out with just the miles i earn this year!
Old May 30, 2019, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, Don Casey, the head of revenue management said today at an investment conference that dynamic award pricing was coming...

ETA - oh duh now I see that was posted in another thread.

Last edited by ijgordon; May 30, 2019 at 9:14 pm
Old May 30, 2019, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I’ll happily redeem more miles for saver J if it increases award inventories.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
I’ll happily redeem more miles for saver J if it increases award inventories.
Then it's no longer saver J.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by justforfun
Then it's no longer saver J.
UA allowed saver J redemption for 70K and there were always award tickets available on UA metal AC or LH. When I meant more I meant 70K vs 57.5.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by enviroian
UA allowed saver J redemption for 70K and there were always award tickets available on UA metal AC or LH. When I meant more I meant 70K vs 57.5.
That's the difference between saver J and sAAver J.
enviroian likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
After dropping to PLAT a few years ago with the introduction of EQDs, I've actually started buying Premium Economy on many long-haul flights. It's been a decent compromise when I don't have the miles to upgrade to J. So, my perspective is probably different, but I do like the idea that the upgrade would go from Y to PE to J. In the United world, you would pay extra for a booking class with no guarantee of upgrade to J. However, if the upgrade was from PE to J, at least you'd still be in Premium Economy, getting some value for your extra spend.

Also - isn't this the upgrade order on BA?
Old May 30, 2019, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OskiBear
In the United world, you would pay extra for a booking class with no guarantee of upgrade to J.
Yes that's true but I remember upfaring to qualifying fare (M was it? ) then using expert mode of search to find an available ticket to upgrade right away, click purchase then call the 1K agent to have it processed. Is this no longer the case?
Old May 30, 2019, 11:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by bse118
Dynamic award pricing is inevitable and would have absolutely zero impact on how I view the program.

Changes to SWUs, OTOH, would.

That said - I'll react when there's something to actually react to. Rumors do nothing for me.
Especially if it's only dynamic pricing on AA awards. I can't even remember the last time I used miles on an AA flight. If I can still book CX/JL F at the same rate with miles, use my SWUs and not have the program otherwise trashed I won't care. Of course i'm sure it'll be horrible.
Old May 31, 2019, 4:10 am

Programs: SQ Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, DL Silver, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic, QR, EY, KE, CX, PR
Is award processing fee not anymore news to all?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.