Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rumor, Speculation: AAdvantage Program Devaluation 31 Jul 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor, Speculation: AAdvantage Program Devaluation 31 Jul 2019

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2019, 9:47 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
As for the monetization of first/bus, I fly one particular route fairly often and upgrade on both flights total 5 500 mile upgrades worth $200. When I go to buy the ticket I can upgrade either leg for $200 so if I want to be in front I pay it.

as for Delta’s dynamic pricing, I’m not an expert but I like it because at least you can find some lower priced tickets during during the day as opposed to all of them being exorbitant. I guess it will depend on what floor AA chooses for the cost of a ticket.

Lastly, for an airline that from what I read makes it’s entire profit from its mileage program you would think/hope that they would be smart enough not to screw that up too.
Old May 31, 2019, 9:54 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by enviroian
The funny thing like MCE is anything extra....I sit in seats that already have extra leg room (bulkhead or exit row) and I guess if you are flying overseas you get a free drink or two but for me at least my work travels are all domestic travel so MCE is nothing more than a few inches of additional leg room.

The fact Delta treats this as an upgrade is laughable but ultimately sad as AA only follows DL's moves.
Almost all of my travel is domestic and being PLT (at least for a few more months) MCE is a nice benefit. But is a few extra inches and a free drink considerable enough to be "another cabin?" Sadly, with Oasis being forced into a Y- seat or forced to upgrade/upfare might be the way of the world. Even at 5'7" I can't imagine sitting in a 30 inch seat for several hours on a fully packed plane.
Old May 31, 2019, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
The slow boiling of the frog will be complete after this, the AAdv. frog will be officially done after this enhancement.
Old May 31, 2019, 9:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by javabytes
- Multi cabin (Y --> PE introduced; Y --> J still allowed, may or may not require higher mileage amount).
Oe hears that one a lot-- the different mileage levels.

Originally Posted by javabytes
..Possibly the end of complimentary Y --> PE for EXP/CK as well?
I'd certainly assume so, once there's an upgrade path to PE.
Old May 31, 2019, 10:00 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
There’s a thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ay-2019-a.html for dynamic pricing of awards. This bit isn’t a rumor given it was announced yesterday by AA.
Old May 31, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
NOTHING that"Tightwad Doug"does would surprise me! A shame to see AA go the way of UA!
Spiff and Parkdesigner like this.
Old May 31, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by boss315
A shame to see AA go the way of UA!
That would be an insult to UA.
Old May 31, 2019, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by ecaarch
A few years ago DL started allowing the use of Global Upgrade Certificates (GUC's....same as SWU) from virtually any fare class. But when that was implemented, DL also quietly changed the way that GUC's were processed. Previously, a GUC basically got you confirmed AT TIME OF BOOKING if there was a J seat available (and a spot on a waitlist on the rare occasions that a J seat wasn't available). Now, a GUC gets you onto a waitlist at time of booking. As travel date gets closer and DL has a handle on how many J seats will likely be unsold, DL starts releasing seats to thiose on the waitlist. It is pretty unheard of for GUC's to clear at time of booking anymore.

So in summary, GUC's went from heavily restricted but virtually guaranteed upgrades to a more widely accessible CHANCE of an upgrade into the leftover seats that DL hasn't sold. Each procedure s*cks, they just s*ck in different ways.
I was a PM/DM for a number of years before switching to AA in 2016/2017. It may have been different in more distant past, but before GUCs were introduced allowing upgrades from any fare class besides basic economy, you still needed upgrade space to clear on top of buying a Y/B/M fare. It certainly was not last-seat availability. I actually had decent luck using my GUCs - certainly much more than trying to use AA SWUs. Though I did pay for GDS access so I could find the inventory without having to call reservations... it's annoying DL does not publish it anywhere, even on its own website.
Old May 31, 2019, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Didn't know that was a published benefit.
Published or not, day-of-travel upgrades are a benefit currently enjoyed by EXP/CK. Taking away an unpublished benefit is still a devaluation.
Old May 31, 2019, 1:15 pm

At least AA is giving its elites ample time to status-challenge other programs. Thoughtful.
Old May 31, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I'm probably one of the odd balls who is indifferent to these potential changes. On one hand, if I'm travelling internationally it is typically for business where my company allows me to book J to Australia or PE to Europe - the only two places I go non-domestic. If SWUs to J could only be used by booking PE then this would probably help my chances to Europe. Now on the other hand, if I was going to pay for a personal vacation to Europe I'd say this would hurt me as I'd be bringing the wife so I couldn't shell out the price for PE. I'd probably still burn the SWUs in that situation as PE is better than Y.

The miles devaluation is disappointing but I can't say I'm surprised. I have quite a bit of miles these days and we typically shell out miles for 1-2 trips somewhat close (Caribbean, Mexico, Hawaii). If there are cheap F fares I'd grab them but for these flights we normally just book Y and hope for a nice MCE seat. What is crazy to me is the price for international J award flights. I looked to bring my wife with me when I had to go to business for either Australia or Spain. The miles to get her in J is ridiculous.
Old May 31, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
The fact Delta treats this as an upgrade is laughable but ultimately sad as AA only follows DL's moves.
Just look how far we have fallen in just a few years. Are we at the bottom yet?
Old May 31, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Any thoughts on how partner redemption levels might be affected in this round of enhancements?
MSYtoJFKagain likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
My DL flying colleagues are amazed that I can book directly into MCE for free, and that my upgrades put me in (domestic) F. They think that's as ridiculous as I do the DL system.

If/when AA was to implement this, the only value of PPro for me - where I actually get upgrades at a rate better than the 10% I was getting as a Plat - would be the no charge SDFC. I don't check bags and the mileage bonus doesn't matter to me given my (relatively) high EQD level with OPM.
DL Plat/DM's clear at time of purchase. I think there has been maybe one instance where I didn't clear immediately as a DM. While they could potentially limit the number of C+ seats available for upgrades, it doesn't appear they are actually doing this regularly at this point.
Old May 31, 2019, 2:42 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by xliioper
DL Plat/DM's clear at time of purchase. I think there has been maybe one instance where I didn't clear immediately as a DM. While they could potentially limit the number of C+ seats available for upgrades, it doesn't appear they are actually doing this regularly at this point.
My experience as a DL PM is the opposite. On Domestic flights I usually clear immediately with some few exceptions, but on JFK-Caribbean flights and JFK-Europe sometimes I do not clear at the time of ticketing despite having empty seats in C+.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.