Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rumor, Speculation: AAdvantage Program Devaluation 31 Jul 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor, Speculation: AAdvantage Program Devaluation 31 Jul 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:30 am

will fees for voluntary date changes apply to future bookings only?
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:42 pm
Suspended

deleted pending further information

Last edited by JonNYC; Jul 30, 2019 at 3:16 pm
Old Jul 30, 2019, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by JonNYC
deleted pending further information
I've been following your Twitter feed today. I also see the last-minute, significantly reduced AAnytime J award prices. It's hard to believe that the extent of dynamic award pricing would be to dump unsold seats for cheap at the last minute, and still retain the concept of saver awards. Primarily because they could already dump that inventory by making saver space available. If last-minute AAnytime price reductions prove to be an ongoing occurrence (as opposed to a fare sale), this seems like it has to be a precursor to saver awards / published charts going away permanently.

Edited to add: I see your example now of LAX-NRT at 82.5k, extending out through the end of August. Something extending that far out could theoretically be a fare sale. If these were only appearing a few days before departure I'd have said it's highly unlikely to be a fare sale since those are usually targeted at people who book well in advance, and it wouldn't have made sense for a sale to cover your outbound flight in the next couple days but then your return would be at regular price.

Last edited by javabytes; Jul 30, 2019 at 5:08 pm
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Well, the website is down for “improvements“, so there is presumably something afoot, timed exactly with Jon’s reported schedule.

Last edited by ikwia; Jul 30, 2019 at 10:49 pm
Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
The new award search finally seems to have a calendar. I know for a long time it said "Coming Soon", now it's actually a calendar. I might have missed that if it happened a while back since I primarily use the old search.

TPG is also reporting these discounted AAnytime awards are a fare sale, valid for bookings make through August 12th for travel through December. https://thepointsguy.com/news/aa-aan...discount-asia/

US-Japan/Korea:
Economy 47.5k (usually 62.5k)
Premium Economy 57.5k (usually 80k)
Business 82.5k0 (usually 120k)

US-China/HKG
Economy 47.5k (usually 65k)
Premium Economy 67.5k (usually 85k)
Business 87.5k (usually 140k)

Last edited by javabytes; Jul 30, 2019 at 11:54 pm
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
An "AAnytime" fare sale . More AA/airline attempts to make you think 80k+ for a one-way to Japan in business is a good deal.

Ah the old days, where if AA had unsold premium inventory to Asia close in, or in the off season, they would, you know, I dunno, release more friggin sAAver space.
Spiff, GUWonder, GTITAN and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: Avios
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
An "AAnytime" fare sale . More AA/airline attempts to make you think 80k+ for a one-way to Japan in business is a good deal.

Ah the old days, where if AA had unsold premium inventory to Asia close in, or in the off season, they would, you know, I dunno, release more friggin sAAver space.
Have to disagree with you on this one 82K in business is actually not bad deal if it going to be available most of the time.Cash fares on this route range from 3k to 7k so 82k is actually a steal.Most people value AA miles around 1.5 cents so that works out to around 1500 taxes included instead of 5k.IMO a pretty good deal.We need to forget the old days .I am ok with this change.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Tilto007
Have to disagree with you on this one 82K in business is actually not bad deal if it going to be available most of the time.Cash fares on this route range from 3k to 7k so 82k is actually a steal.Most people value AA miles around 1.5 cents so that works out to around 1500 taxes included instead of 5k.IMO a pretty good deal.We need to forget the old days .I am ok with this change.
Oh no, you've caught the virus too .

Agree that the AAnytime flexibility and availability makes it slightly easier to stomach.

But by the same line of thinking, even an insane 375k one-way AAnytime in business to SYD would also be a "good deal" because hey, at that valuation you're saving $1-2k over the cash cost of a ticket .
Spiff, GTITAN and mew24680 like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: Avios
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Oh no, you've caught the virus too .

Agree that the AAnytime flexibility and availability makes it slightly easier to stomach.

But by the same line of thinking, even an insane 375k one-way AAnytime in business to SYD would also be a "good deal" because hey, at that valuation you're saving $1-2k over the cash cost of a ticket .
375k to Australia doers not sound like a good deal to me but 82k in J to Japan is reasonable.I want to add that I would have loved to pay 60k each way but 82.5k is not bad.As I said before we cannot live in the past as far as redemption costs.I have been doing this long enough to remember when you got hotel and rental car included for free when you booked advantage awards!!If this change is available most of the time it will be a net positive to me.Of course JAL is the better deal now at 60k but I wonder how much longer that 60k figure sticks??
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by redtop43
I realize this isn't 100% applicable in this thread, but last week at just past midnight on July 25 I booked two Y award tix LAS-PHX-PHL on July 27 for 12.5K each. That presumably has nothing to do with the dynamic awards or web specials but it ain't bad for booking just over 48 hours out.
I have booked MCO-DFW for 8K in Feb . Early AM flight was 5500
rumboj likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by redtop43
I realize this isn't 100% applicable in this thread, but last week at just past midnight on July 25 I booked two Y award tix LAS-PHX-PHL on July 27 for 12.5K each. That presumably has nothing to do with the dynamic awards or web specials but it ain't bad for booking just over 48 hours out.
I have booked MCO-DFW for 8K in Feb . Early AM flight was 5500
enpremiere likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
I could see them making a "New Systemwide" upgrade. Each NSWU would upgrade you one cabin and you could use multiple NSWUs to upgrade multiple levels:

Y to PE = 1 NSWU
Y to J = 2 NSWU
Y to 3 cabin F = 3 NSWU
PE to J = 1 NSWU
PE to 3 cabin F = 2 NSWU
J to 3 cabin F = 1 NSWU

In fairness, they would need to give 8 NSWUs per year to EXP members in order to keep overall upgrading capabilities similar.

I also think they should make the upgrade process a "jump" rather than a "step". IOW, you'd use (e.g.) 2 NSWUs to jump straight from Y to J, rather than having to first clear an upgrade Y to PE with 1 NSWU and then clear a second upgrade PE to J with a second NSWU.
But, won't giving EXPs 8 to compensate for the change, defeat the purpose of requiring more SWUs to upgrade in the first place?

Last edited by mvoight; Jul 31, 2019 at 11:10 am
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight
But, won't giving EXPs 8 to compensate for the change, defeat the purpose of requiring more SWUs to upgrade in the first place?
Would further incentivize booking PE instead of Y when intending to upgrade to J. Only one "New SWU" needed vs. two.

With that said, given that they don't currently give you a break on mileage cost upgrading PE to J vs. Y to J (unless you're on a full W fare) maybe they're not interested in creating that incentive?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: AAdvatage
So what happened to the devaluation? Besides some speculation and some drops in last-minute award pricing, nothing much has changed. Is it just delayed?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by bigboy61
So what happened to the devaluation? Besides some speculation and some drops in last-minute award pricing, nothing much has changed. Is it just delayed?
AA put the devaluation on hold while JonNYC stepped away for a bit from the screen. They’ll continue once he’s back

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.