Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rumor, Speculation: AAdvantage Program Devaluation 31 Jul 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor, Speculation: AAdvantage Program Devaluation 31 Jul 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by javabytes
Well since we're into July, I suppose I'll add some more speculation.

1) PE upgrade awards become possible
1a) Complimentary DOD PE upgrades for EXP/CK come to an end altogether, or become restricted to high revenue passengers - meaning either EQD or fare class limitations, or restricted to CK only.
2) Upgrade award pricing becomes increasingly variable. More granular than the current structure where there are two prices, one for upgrades from full-fare and one for discounted fares. Different miles/co-pay requirements per fare class, or more fare groupings than just full-fare/discounted. Potentially some fare classes not upgradeable at all. Co-pay approaches $500 mark for cheaper fare classes. If award charts are pulled (see #6 ), these rates become secret. The other possible approach here is to eliminate traditional award upgrades altogether, and simply upfare between the paid coach fare and the premium cabin fare, and charge miles at a fixed rate like $0.01/mile, though that would be such a drastic change on long-haul that they may do this only for domestic flights and preserve traditional upgrades on international.
3) SWU upgrades become single-cabin; no restrictions on fare classes
4) Changes to domestic upgrades, such as:
4a) Treating MCE as a separate cabin, with capacity-controlled upgrades (a la DL) - gulp.
4b) I'm torn whether it makes sense to double down on the 500-mile cert approach and start removing unlimited comp upgrades, or if it makes more sense to ditch the certs and expand unlimited upgrades, but with the introduction of some revenue-based component (such as fare class restrictions).
5) Partner PE award bookings become possible
6) Expansion of dynamic award pricing; removal of award charts is perhaps the logical next step even if no execution happens at this juncture and Saver awards still exist for the time being.
7) Changes (read: increases) to elite qualification requirements for 2020 qualification year.

Again, just pure speculation. What are others anticipating?
I'm speculating that speculating about what may or may not happen is the FT equivalent of masterbation and serves little purpose. Just wait and see what happens and determine if the changes are material when they are announced and decide if the changes affect your purchasing decisions going forward. Getting worked up about what might be just seems pointless, its not like we have any control or influence over any such changes. When these devaluations are on the horizon it seems like some people try to make peace with negative changes by speculating the worst, then take solace when their doomsday scenarios doesn't occur.
andrewstahl likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by ryan182
I'm speculating that speculating about what may or may not happen is the FT equivalent of masterbation and serves little purpose. Just wait and see what happens and determine if the changes are material when they are announced and decide if the changes affect your purchasing decisions going forward. Getting worked up about what might be just seems pointless, its not like we have any control or influence over any such changes. When these devaluations are on the horizon it seems like some people try to make peace with negative changes by speculating the worst, then take solace when their doomsday scenarios doesn't occur.
1) It’s already a given that this thread is all about speculation. If that’s not for you, keep on cruising.

2) Contingency planning is not about dealing with situations we can control or influence, but dealing with situations we can’t. I’d rather anticipate changes and determine what my exposure would be, and take mitigating steps if it makes sense to do so. For instance, I’ve sat down and booked award travel out for the next year. I didn’t have to do this, I could wait many months yet. But if no award price increase occurs, I’m no worse off. If dynamic pricing expands, I’m in a better place than if I was unprepared for such a change to land.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold

1) It’s already a given that this thread is all about speculation. If that’s not for you, keep on cruising.

Fair point taken.
2) Contingency planning is not about dealing with situations we can control or influence, but dealing with situations we can’t. I’d rather anticipate changes and determine what my exposure would be, and take mitigating steps if it makes sense to do so. For instance, I’ve sat down and booked award travel out for the next year. I didn’t have to do this, I could wait many months yet. But if no award price increase occurs, I’m no worse off. If dynamic pricing expands, I’m in a better place than if I was unprepared for such a change to land.
This I challenge, one books (if they are EXP and get free refunds) speculative award tickets because they are available, if you waited "many months" in all likelihood that award space, assuming you're booking J/F, wouldn't be available especially if you're booking AA metal J/F awards which is akin to finding a golden ticket - so yeah book it when you see it!
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by ryan182
I'm speculating that speculating about what may or may not happen is the FT equivalent of masterbation and serves little purpose.
Nah. Keeps some people focused.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Well since we're into July, I suppose I'll add some more speculation.
5) Partner PE award bookings become possible

Again, just pure speculation. What are others anticipating?
I don't think this belongs on the list. It would, after all, be an improvement and this thread is about devaluation .
javabytes likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:00 pm
Suspended

I'd personally speculate that there are definitely changes revolving around how premium economy is handled in the short-term offing.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
My slam dunk is that class of service upgrades and SWUs will now process Y -> W -> J -> F

If you want J class you're going to have to be in PE to begin with....
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by DigitalDemographic
I don't think this belongs on the list. It would, after all, be an improvement and this thread is about devaluation .
not if the same miles/copay or miles for saver award got you int PE instead of J without any improvement in availability.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
My slam dunk is that class of service upgrades and SWUs will now process Y -> W -> J -> F

The issue with that IMO is that the W cabins are small and often sell out. IMO AA should retain the ability to upgrade Y-to-J, but give paid W customers priority. Otherwise with a sold out W cabin it won't even be possible to upgrade to J. Then again if AA restricts upgrades to the next cabin only, they may be able to charge a lot more for W.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP

This would be awesome, especially if upgrades were more readily available. As it is, my SWUs are only good for J to F upgrades or for someone else who doesn't mind traveling in Y.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First

Im actually fine with this as long as they make the W-J upgrade availability much better at booking.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AANYC1981

Im actually fine with this as long as they make the W-J upgrade availability much better at booking.
Agree completely. I am stuck with SWU's that I struggle to use because I simply won't risk Y on anything other than domestic, and there are so few true F cabins.
I am actually looking at a January trip where I have a few days to kill - trying to figure out the best J EQM/$ with F so I can use SWU's, Try F, and get a kick start on the new year - while making a mini-trip / vacation out of it. That basically limits me to EZE / GRU / HKG / LHR.......
Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
What would happen on a 763 or a 757 if upgrades become Y->W, W->J only? What about Hawaii service on the 777?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by no1cub17
The issue with that IMO is that the W cabins are small and often sell out. IMO AA should retain the ability to upgrade Y-to-J, but give paid W customers priority. Otherwise with a sold out W cabin it won't even be possible to upgrade to J. Then again if AA restricts upgrades to the next cabin only, they may be able to charge a lot more for W.
And I'm sure that AA is, in part, banking on this. AA is all about making its passengers pay higher fares. That was rationale behind EQDs. If you're a EXP or PPRO and want that J class upgrade, you're going to have to spend the extra $500 or $800 to buy a W class seat just to have the opportunity to roll the dice in hopes of getting the upgrade to J. If you "crap" out, well AA's position is, hey, you got PE.... If you get "7" and score an upgrade, AA then opens up a seat for a willing upgrader from cattle class.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
And I'm sure that AA is, in part, banking on this. AA is all about making its passengers pay higher fares. That was rationale behind EQDs.
Understand, and I agree that it's just good business to incentivize your customers to spend more. The 2.0xEQMs on paid fares have swayed us at least a few times to just pay for F when otherwise we wouldn't have.

What I don't understand though is why AA has done nothing but cheapen and gut their product (especially domestic) while trying to incentivize more spend. I don't have an MBA but I would imagine part of incentivizing customers to buy your product is to start with putting a good product out there in the first place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.