Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rumor, Speculation: AAdvantage Program Devaluation 31 Jul 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor, Speculation: AAdvantage Program Devaluation 31 Jul 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:33 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
So I've seen some of this in action - last week I booked two economy web specials DCA-JFK May 2020 for 8,500 each (no T available and I'm EXP so I'm out nothing). Looking now, they want 9,000 each for the same. The price to pay for the flight (BE or MC) hasn't changed, so I'm not sure how that works.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mvoight
But, won't giving EXPs 8 to compensate for the change, defeat the purpose of requiring more SWUs to upgrade in the first place?
The idea is to give EXPs the same upgrade "purchasing power" as they currently revceive. We currently get 4 SWUs that can take us from Y to J on 4 journeys. With 8 New-SWUs you would still be able to go from Y to J on 4 journeys. However, you'd also have the added flexibility to (e.g) go from Y to PE on 8 Journeys, or Y to 3 Cabin F on 2 journeys plus Y to J on 1, etc.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
The idea is to give EXPs the same upgrade "purchasing power" as they currently revceive. We currently get 4 SWUs that can take us from Y to J on 4 journeys. With 8 New-SWUs you would still be able to go from Y to J on 4 journeys. However, you'd also have the added flexibility to (e.g) go from Y to PE on 8 Journeys, or Y to 3 Cabin F on 2 journeys plus Y to J on 1, etc.
I would not hold my breath on AA implementing that type of scheme...

Regards
Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K
Well, considering I just looked at a J award to LHR and it comes out to 360K miles plus $294 r/t, I would say they have thrown the award chart in the garbage. According to that, an AAnytime J award to Europe is 135K e/w or 270K r/t. Hell, an AAnytime first class award should be 175K e/w, and even that is less than what J is pricing out at. Miles were pretty useless before, now they've gone the way of the skypeso. Of course, you can still book AUS-DFW-SJD in "business" for 25K e/w...except that you're in economy from DFW-SJD...give me a freaking break.
AANYC1981 and MarkOK like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
So its August now and unless I missed it, I haven't seen any communication from AA as to what change was made. Seems from the past few posts and some random searches I did that basically the devaluation is simply some dynamic pricing of AAnytime awards? Is that right or is there more?
Not that charging more for AAnytime awards is a good thing or something to be happy about but its also far from terrible IMO. If you read back and review the speculation in this thread I'd say that this is in firmly in the "sucks less" category. Anytime awards were never a good value and something to be avoided at all costs, even in the case of last minute emergencies often you can find partner awards which would be on far superior airlines and at saver rates so kinda ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ about this. If there's every a scenario where I find myself needing to burn miles on an AAnytime intl J/F award, whatever occured to make that necessary is far worse than the loss of miles!
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by ryan182
So its August now and unless I missed it, I haven't seen any communication from AA as to what change was made. Seems from the past few posts and some random searches I did that basically the devaluation is simply some dynamic pricing of AAnytime awards? Is that right or is there more?
Not that charging more for AAnytime awards is a good thing or something to be happy about but its also far from terrible IMO. If you read back and review the speculation in this thread I'd say that this is in firmly in the "sucks less" category. Anytime awards were never a good value and something to be avoided at all costs, even in the case of last minute emergencies often you can find partner awards which would be on far superior airlines and at saver rates so kinda ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ about this. If there's every a scenario where I find myself needing to burn miles on an AAnytime intl J/F award, whatever occured to make that necessary is far worse than the loss of miles!
Saaver awards are not changing it seems??
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mew24680
Saaver awards are not changing it seems??
I did a few more random city pairs looking at the calendar and actually did see some higher mileage saver awards (30K vs 22,5K) on LAX-LHR, not a massive increase and its Y (as in WHY would you book this), but at least in the spot checks I did none of the saver J/F prices were higher. What was interesting though is that when I picked the dates that were 30K to see what flights they had, I expected the 30K ones to be AA metal but both the BA flights and AA flights on those days were at the increased rates...

Old Sep 24, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
I could see them making a "New Systemwide" upgrade. Each NSWU would upgrade you one cabin and you could use multiple NSWUs to upgrade multiple levels:

Y to PE = 1 NSWU
Y to J = 2 NSWU
Y to 3 cabin F = 3 NSWU
PE to J = 1 NSWU
PE to 3 cabin F = 2 NSWU
J to 3 cabin F = 1 NSWU

In fairness, they would need to give 8 NSWUs per year to EXP members in order to keep overall upgrading capabilities similar.

I also think they should make the upgrade process a "jump" rather than a "step". IOW, you'd use (e.g.) 2 NSWUs to jump straight from Y to J, rather than having to first clear an upgrade Y to PE with 1 NSWU and then clear a second upgrade PE to J with a second NSWU.
UA just implemented an upgrade scheme along these lines with generic "points" that can be used for various levels of upgrading:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...r-members.html

Maybe AA will follow (as they tend to...).
Old Sep 24, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
UA just implemented an upgrade scheme along these lines with generic "points" that can be used for various levels of upgrading:

The UA scheme includes the terrible policy that if you change your flights after an upgrade has confirmed you probably lose both the upgrade and the points! I hope AA isn't listening to that idea. The rest of it seems quite sound to me.

[Added: It may only be the Skip Waitlist upgrades that are lost if you change plans - these are expensive upgrades that are instantly confirmable more than 30 days before the flight.]
Old Sep 24, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium

Interesting scheme. It makes me wonder if there will be a transition towards a revenue-based earning for upgrade instruments in the future

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.