Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rumor, Speculation: AAdvantage Program Devaluation 31 Jul 2019

Rumor, Speculation: AAdvantage Program Devaluation 31 Jul 2019

Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
My slam dunk is that class of service upgrades and SWUs will now process Y -> W -> J -> F

If you want J class you're going to have to be in PE to begin with....
No so sure on that one-- not that simple.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: CK or bust
I’d speculate that this is going to largely focus on monetizing PE and selling awards into PE. The economy award outage earlier this month may have been a glitch but a glitch related to the preparation for that project.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by JonNYC
No so sure on that one-- not that simple.
K would like your opinion on the alternate.

The only thing I could think of if it is not that black and white is that you could jump from Y -> J (bypassing W) if and only if your fare class is Y, H, K, or maybe M.

Caught myself....I almost wrote Y, B, H.....hard to wrap my mind around the fact that "B" is now the lowest of low paid fare classes whereas in the past it was the second most expensive.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott

The only thing I could think of if it is not that black and white is that you could jump from Y -> J (bypassing W) if and only if your fare class is Y, H, K, or maybe M.

Caught myself....I almost wrote Y, B, H.....hard to wrap my mind around the fact that "B" is now the lowest of low paid fare classes whereas in the past it was the second most expensive.
Another possibility is Y->J will still be allowed, but all Premium Economy fares and most expensive Y fares (Y, H, etc) have priority over discounted Y fares.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club

I could see that. After all, Y fares are probably far more expensive than discounted PE fares, so why not let them upgrade to J also. This would also capture revenue from business travelers whose companies don’t allow PE, but who can find room to upfare within the economy cabin.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 4:29 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by ecaarch
A few years ago DL started allowing the use of Global Upgrade Certificates (GUC's....same as SWU) from virtually any fare class. But when that was implemented, DL also quietly changed the way that GUC's were processed. Previously, a GUC basically got you confirmed AT TIME OF BOOKING if there was a J seat available (and a spot on a waitlist on the rare occasions that a J seat wasn't available). Now, a GUC gets you onto a waitlist at time of booking. As travel date gets closer and DL has a handle on how many J seats will likely be unsold, DL starts releasing seats to thiose on the waitlist. It is pretty unheard of for GUC's to clear at time of booking anymore.

So in summary, GUC's went from heavily restricted but virtually guaranteed upgrades to a more widely accessible CHANCE of an upgrade into the leftover seats that DL hasn't sold. Each procedure s*cks, they just s*ck in different ways.
this isn't entirely true. Ive cleared multiple times at booking with DL GUC. If the upgrade inventory isn't available, you waitlist, but that's not by any means the default.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 5:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
As technology is able to do more complex binary processing I think that fare code being introduced into the mix for all upgrades will be on the rise. AA will use status class and from there a mixture of your 12 month rolling EQDs and fare class of the individual flight.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Not sure how anyone seems to be OK with SWU being Y-->PE. That would probably be the final straw and i'd be done with AA.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Not sure how anyone seems to be OK with SWU being Y-->PE. That would probably be the final straw and i'd be done with AA.
they will probably cut it to just 2 SWUs or eliminate it to add insult to injury...don’t worry though...it’s an enhancement based on customer feedback.
enviroian likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I would be totally fine with that. Then again I'm not EXP nor will I ever be. So I couldn't care less about SWUs. In most cases I would be more than happy fo buy PE to better the chances of a miles+copay upgrade. AA could also still allow SWU use to upgrade Y-->J, but give PE customers priority.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
I could see them making a "New Systemwide" upgrade. Each NSWU would upgrade you one cabin and you could use multiple NSWUs to upgrade multiple levels:

Y to PE = 1 NSWU
Y to J = 2 NSWU
Y to 3 cabin F = 3 NSWU
PE to J = 1 NSWU
PE to 3 cabin F = 2 NSWU
J to 3 cabin F = 1 NSWU

In fairness, they would need to give 8 NSWUs per year to EXP members in order to keep overall upgrading capabilities similar.

I also think they should make the upgrade process a "jump" rather than a "step". IOW, you'd use (e.g.) 2 NSWUs to jump straight from Y to J, rather than having to first clear an upgrade Y to PE with 1 NSWU and then clear a second upgrade PE to J with a second NSWU.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by donotblink

they will probably cut it to just 2 SWUs or eliminate it to add insult to injury...don’t worry though...it’s an enhancement based on customer feedback.
true, many customers DO appreciate having their benefits eliminated.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by no1cub17
I would be totally fine with that. Then again I'm not EXP nor will I ever be
So you're "OK" with a devaluation that has zero impact on you. Not really a valid data point.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
I could see them making a "New Systemwide" upgrade. Each NSWU would upgrade you one cabin and you could use multiple NSWUs to upgrade multiple levels:

Y to PE = 1 NSWU
Y to J = 2 NSWU
Y to 3 cabin F = 3 NSWU
PE to J = 1 NSWU
PE to 3 cabin F = 2 NSWU
J to 3 cabin F = 1 NSWU

In fairness, they would need to give 8 NSWUs per year to EXP members in order to keep overall upgrading capabilities similar.

I also think they should make the upgrade process a "jump" rather than a "step". IOW, you'd use (e.g.) 2 NSWUs to jump straight from Y to J, rather than having to first clear an upgrade Y to PE with 1 NSWU and then clear a second upgrade PE to J with a second NSWU.
As long as we still have the equivalent of 4 one way long haul Y-J bump ups I don't mind if they do it this way but it seems like it would end up being an overcomplicated mess.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
MY SWUs generally go to waste now. We all complained about the reduction from 8 to 4, but the fact that they are so difficult to use with the tiny J cabins AA has anyways makes it a mute point. They are completely worthless without AA releasing any upgrade space in advance, so I won't care nor be shocked if they change these. I mean, you can't devalue something if it holds no value already, in my opinion.
AANYC1981 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.