Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rumor, Speculation: AAdvantage Program Devaluation 31 Jul 2019

Rumor, Speculation: AAdvantage Program Devaluation 31 Jul 2019

Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by no1cub17
You can buy a BE ticket and be automatically assigned MCE if that's all that's left. I'm not sure what happens if you buy BE and don't select a seat at check-in if one is available.
If you don't select a seat - you will need get one at the gate. You can't board without a specific seat assignment on the boarding pass.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 11:12 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by cova
I have been elite for so many years, not sure how it works for non-elites at check in time. So what you are saying is that at check in time anyone in Economy (including Basic Economy) can choose any Economy seat for no extra charge?

I thought at least BE restricted seats to the very back and I thought MCE was additional cost or only for Gold or higher elites.

Yes, I know agents can place anyone in any seat - which happens when all other non-preferred seats are taken.
As I understand it for BE you will be offered a seat by aa.com, which could be MCE or preferred if nothing else is available. For non elite Main Cabin you can pay for a preferred seat or a MCE seat or choose from one of the non preferred seats available. Otherwise, you can wait to check in at the airport by kiosk or agent, or possibly be given a pass to get through Security in which you will get your seat from the GA.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 4:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Geordie405
Why can't they? And why shouldn't they? PE is its own distinct cabin both in terms of the seat and the service offering. It also has its own fare classes. I really don't see why people feel that they should be able to leapfrog from Y to J and skip PE as if it didn't exist. It may well be "devastating" to some people if it happens, but I personally don't see it being particularly unfair when it does.
They're welcome to do whatever they want, but if SWU becomes Y-->PE, the SWU loses all utility and I will not bother requalifying EXP. I simply will not fly long haul in PE. Why would I want to buy PE then hope a SWU clears when I can probably just outright buy J on another carrier for a similar price. If AA ruins the final remaining benefits of status, i'll probably switch back to UA, since the *A partner network is better and most of the time I find cheaper J itineraries with *A parters than OW anyway.
enviroian likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I think a lot of people still fly AA out of habit from when they still had the better FFP program...their ffp is now becoming clearly the worst of the three legacies and these final straws should convince people to switch elsewhere or just become free agents...
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
I don’t understand why anyone would be upset if a BE customer gets a seat assignment in MCE? Every elite passed on that seat. Literally no one is out anything here. The only problem I see is AA’s if this is happening on a regular basis it means they either have to much inventory of MCE or have overpriced it.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I don’t understand why anyone would be upset if a BE customer gets a seat assignment in MCE? Every elite passed on that seat. Literally no one is out anything here. The only problem I see is AA’s if this is happening on a regular basis it means they either have to much inventory of MCE or have overpriced it.
The big thing I see is Gold get free MCE at T-24. If a BE fare on a connection like SYR-PHL-MIA checks in at T-24 and the PHL-MIA sector only has MCE available, they will get it, bypassing a Gold flying nonstop PHL-MIA who only gets access to free MCE 24 hours before that departure. They may not get MCE now, or get a middle when the BE fare got the last aisle, etc.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by lowfareair
The big thing I see is Gold get free MCE at T-24. If a BE fare on a connection like SYR-PHL-MIA checks in at T-24 and the PHL-MIA sector only has MCE available, they will get it, bypassing a Gold flying nonstop PHL-MIA who only gets access to free MCE 24 hours before that departure. They may not get MCE now, or get a middle when the BE fare got the last aisle, etc.
I guess I could see that, but I doubt it is very common. Of course, AA could easily rectify that if they wanted.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:19 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

IMHO Basic Economy customers should not get any seat assignment until T-1 hour.

This ensures customers who SDFC or purchases last minute ticket has a higher chance of securing a confirmed seat.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP sad former CK, Bonvoy LT Plat, BAEC Gold, VS, former UA, UA no longer, never, ever, QF
How is it that AA has the "worst" ffp of the legacy 3? SWUs still operate on any fare basis. UAL still completely sucks (plastic plates in First, hit or miss wifi, a general hatred directed toward their paying customers etc). DL "sky pesos" are, well, sky pesos. I will take the 321T, the 789, the 773 and do what I can. Devaluation, yes. Sad, but nothing lasts. They are responding to the market and the vast majority who just don't care.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The charge is for advance seat selection of the seats - not that the seats themselves have a higher cost on the day of departure
Are you saying that you believe that AA is going to yank this as a benefit in its upcoming revisions or that its a current charge for certain customers?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 8:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Are you saying that you believe that AA is going to yank this as a benefit in its upcoming revisions or that its a current charge for certain customers?
I don't understand the question - a regular passenger can get a 'better' seat at the airport for no charge ; the check in desk at, say LHR, will not charge a normal economy ticket holder a fee for a different seat

The charge made by AA online is for advance seat selection - similar to how other airlines operate in charging for seat selection
Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by rowingman
How is it that AA has the "worst" ffp of the legacy 3? SWUs still operate on any fare basis. UAL still completely sucks (plastic plates in First, hit or miss wifi, a general hatred directed toward their paying customers etc). DL "sky pesos" are, well, sky pesos. I will take the 321T, the 789, the 773 and do what I can. Devaluation, yes. Sad, but nothing lasts. They are responding to the market and the vast majority who just don't care.
I keep asking this same question. I don’t see how AA’s program is deficient compared to the other carriers. It seems to be clearly better but everyone has a case of sour grapes because of the potential devaluation. The reality is AA seems to be giving more than its competitors. That is usually a scenario that leads to a desire to make some cuts.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 3:25 am

Hi everyone. Long time reader, first time poster. Please be gentle as I dont know the posting rules here very well!

So my wife and I have over 140K miles each for about 1p years and I keep refreshing them in hopes that one day I can use them but it is getting harder and harder.

Originally we got the miles hoping we ca use40K miles to Europe. Well most of those are now 60K. Ok fine.

Then there are layovers. Its getting al.ost impossible to get ticket with aa miles without a layover or massive UK airport taxes. The layovers to Madrid are 12 hours in Dallas mostly overnight and in a way that is impossible with a family. Arrive at 11pm fly out at 10am?? So sleep in the airport? Or flights with layover in London that have $180+ taxes. Heck I can buy a flight to London for less than $400 these days.

So my question is, can someone please show me a single Europe direct flight from LAX that I can take with 60K miles and small taxes or $60ish pp? At this point I just want to identify miles and dont even cade which City in Europe.

Thanks a lot!
Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by brooklynite
Hi everyone. Long time reader, first time poster. Please be gentle as I dont know the posting rules here very well!

So my wife and I have over 140K miles each for about 1p years and I keep refreshing them in hopes that one day I can use them but it is getting harder and harder.

Originally we got the miles hoping we ca use40K miles to Europe. Well most of those are now 60K. Ok fine.

Then there are layovers. Its getting al.ost impossible to get ticket with aa miles without a layover or massive UK airport taxes. The layovers to Madrid are 12 hours in Dallas mostly overnight and in a way that is impossible with a family. Arrive at 11pm fly out at 10am?? So sleep in the airport? Or flights with layover in London that have $180+ taxes. Heck I can buy a flight to London for less than $400 these days.

So my question is, can someone please show me a single Europe direct flight from LAX that I can take with 60K miles and small taxes or $60ish pp? At this point I just want to identify miles and dont even cade which City in Europe.

Thanks a lot!

The lack of saver availability, with decent flights/connections if frustrating.

You could call AA and have an agent search for saver availability on the dates you require, and see what comes up - tell them you don't care what cities in Europe (or have a list)

you could just keep checking yourself, or you could hire an award search service that will do this for a fee.

With a long airport (overnight) layover I would get a hotel room at the airport. Cost of doing business, unfortunately.

Perhaps someone on Flyertalk with more time than me can give you some specific help.

good luck!
Old Jun 3, 2019, 8:17 am

There are award search services that do this for a fee? Wow. I have been away from the Award game for a long time.

Are there any decent ones folks here would recommend? LoL. The amount of time I have spent in the past two weeks trying to a) come up to speed on AA's program, partners, and nuances specific to possible destinations I'd consider, and b) actually trying to look for awards, is actually becoming nonsensical. An absurd amount of time, even to me who loves travel and plan travel and learn about travel.

Along with this general topic, how much easier would my life be in looking for awards, if I subscribed to EF? Is it user friendly? / How big is the learning curve to use?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.