Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Crew Not Great? (Poor int’l. cabin crew experience)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Crew Not Great? (Poor int’l. cabin crew experience)

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
In contrast, the LUS A330 FA's who historically weren't paid as well as AA FA's but with high seniority like walking around talking to people. They usually don't sit in the galley and hide.
Absolutely agree..The last time I took FRA/CLT, FA was lovely, even chatting with the FAM (supposedly).

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I suspect the difference in service is one of the main reasons pax book CX to HKG rather than AA, as AA's hard product is better IMHO.
CX does have FA walk around in all cabins, sometimes with water/juice or cup noodles/snacks, even after the lights are completely off for overnight services. Not sure about AA for LH services.

PS: didn't have major services issues on my TATL flights recently, but both directions they spent a lot of time "Could any passengers in business class look for Bose headphones and let us know, we are currently missing one pair", which was very annoying.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
AA has bad crews.

I also just looked out my window and saw blue sky...
allset2travel likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SamOF
I was about to post, my best flights service-wise by far have been Europe crews out of PHL (and west coast too).
Totally agree. Whenever possible I book J through PHL because I like the crews and know many of the “regulars” on the PHL-FCO route. Whenever I read (which is frequent here) about bad treatment from crew members, I feel like I’m flying AA in a parallel universe. I never have issues with AA employees. Hope my luck continues.
chenalex likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I was on a PVG-LAX flight last August where the flight attendant in J was excellent. He was an older gentleman, and he introduced himself and greeted me by name when I boarded, and while descending and preparing the cabin for landing, came by and shook each passenger's hand thanking us for flying. I remember the crew on that flight being great. The year before, I flew JFK-ZRH in J and had a great crew also. My parents' English aren't that good, but one of the flight attendants took time explaining places to eat and see in Zurich. It was a slow conversation, but they were very patient!
Old May 31, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Whilst I agree the behaviour of the Op does sound a bit odd, AA crews are very poor compared to non US airlines. Qantas and BA are significantly better than 99% of the TATL AA crews I've had. Just for one example - in business, the person in front of me asked if the pizza was vegetarian, and the crew members rude and abrupt answer was "I don't know, I haven't eaten it"!
Old May 31, 2019, 11:31 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I have been reading these comments with great interest. Whilst the idea of standing on a Jetway or hovering by a door to get fresh air at Heathrow of all places, may seem preposterous to me, I have followed the thread all the way through.

I have flown AA for years - mostly domestic as I have to travel to Hawaii at least twice a year as I own property there. I hate to generalise but I have noticed that the more than one of the crews seem lacking in dynamism and positive attitude. It seems that they are there to do the job. fill the hours and go home. There are wonderful exceptions to that fortunately. I blame the work culture of all the changes that have taken place, and as I have said before, the lack of any kind of Service Manager on board the aircraft. There is no one to whom they report. No one can tell anyone else what to do, and sort out conduct. If anyone had come to me and told me that one of my team had answered a customer in a manner that is reported by @Donsyb, I would want to know why and unless I got a good explanation the matter would not end there. That sort of Bulls**t attitude is utterly indefensible, but I would want to hear what they have to say before leaping to conclusions. Similarly the ice incident, if it is to be believed, would have had the same effect. Trust me that from London AA carry enough ice to sink the Titanic. We have threads here with strings of posts about whether the crew could be assed to do PDFs or not. Lots don't as no one gets paid for that. Although it is First Class in name only apart from the seating, it is part of the service but nobody is there to insist that is done and nobody gets into any trouble for not doing it.

Until they have proper Flight Service Managers whose job it is to ensure that the proper service standards are maintained,and that someone actually give a d*mn about the crew then I really do not see what is about to change.

I do sympathise with crew who have seen their contracts changing, different policies come into effect and their pay is probably not that brilliant these days. No, I know that no one made them do the job but I was taught that if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.All in all, it seems to me that there is a fairly toxic company background and some of them have given up giving a d*mn,
Old May 31, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Strange. On pretty much every US-bound flight I've flown (from LHR or elsewhere), there is usually a series of questions you have to answer before being admitted into the boarding area. At LHR, I've had questions at check-in, and they'll put a little sticker on the back of your passport (although it's been a while since I've checked in at the check-in desks at LHR, so not sure if they still do this).

Although I've experienced the "pre-boarding" screening questions at airports besides LHR, LHR is by and large the airport at which I've experienced the strictest security in general (strict scrutiny of liquid amounts, pat downs, etc.). This is probably more a LHR thing than a US-flight thing, though.
I had this on Tuesday when flying AA81 from LHR to DFW. When you go downstairs at T5 to take the bus to T3 there's usually someone asking where you're flying to and if it's an AA flight you get sent to be questioned, and you get the little sticker on your passport. The questioning does vary - but apparently it's nothing compared to El Al.

As for the crew, we had a very good one on Tuesday's flight into DFW. They were friendly, polite, present and seemed to be working well together.
Old May 31, 2019, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
deleted
Old May 31, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Antarius
Fundamentally, the system of crewing is broken. Staffing on routes should be performance based, not seniority based.
I will strongly support that.
Old May 31, 2019, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
For all of you confused out there, this is what the OP was trying to do, was that too much to ask??
https://imgur.com/gallery/azCwIAg
robertablake and Donsyb like this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 2:24 am

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by nk15
For all of you confused out there, this is what the OP was trying to do, was that too much to ask??
https://imgur.com/gallery/azCwIAg
brilliant!!
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Glad OP made it to the former colonies safely. We don’t recognize peerage here. One of the many reasons we left.

Just booked my last AA trip on purpose-A “SWU run” LAX-LHR-LAX to burn my last 2 almost useless SWUs. Bought J, and upgraded to F. Expectations=zero and don’t expect ****.

Currently in China, having flown LAX-CAN-FOC on China Southern. Service in J would easily rival CX. Also $2500 cheaper than AA. Better service and lower price, what an interesting combination.

Upcoming through 2019:

DFW-CDG-DFW twice. AF J, always superb service. $1100 cheaper on one, $550 cheaper on the other than AA. Better service, lower price. (No SWU available)

DFW-NRT-DFW on Aeromexico in J. Always great service. $1900 cheaper than AA. Better service, lower price. (No SWU available)

DFW-SYD-DFW on Qatar in J. GUARANTEED great service. $4800 cheaper than AA. Better service, lower price. (No SWU available)

I can book away from AA (and am). Why would MrsDallas49er and I spend more to book the TATL and TPAC “service crap shoot” on AA? Perhaps some of the intelligencia and “Eminence Gris” on this board have an answer.

YMMV

Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Glad OP made it to the former colonies safely. We don’t recognize peerage here. One of the many reasons we left.

Just booked my last AA trip on purpose-A “SWU run” LAX-LHR-LAX to burn my last 2 almost useless SWUs. Bought J, and upgraded to F. Expectations=zero and don’t expect ****.

Currently in China, having flown LAX-CAN-FOC on China Southern. Service in J would easily rival CX. Also $2500 cheaper than AA. Better service and lower price, what an interesting combination.

Upcoming through 2019:

DFW-CDG-DFW twice. AF J, always superb service. $1100 cheaper on one, $550 cheaper on the other than AA. Better service, lower price. (No SWU available)

DFW-NRT-DFW on Aeromexico in J. Always great service. $1900 cheaper than AA. Better service, lower price. (No SWU available)

DFW-SYD-DFW on Qatar in J. GUARANTEED great service. $4800 cheaper than AA. Better service, lower price. (No SWU available)

I can book away from AA (and am). Why would MrsDallas49er and I spend more to book the TATL and TPAC “service crap shoot” on AA? Perhaps some of the intelligencia and “Eminence Gris” on this board have an answer.

YMMV

'''Errr....LEFT the former colonies or driven out, let me be diplomatic: ...or persuaded to leave?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by HMPS

'''Errr....LEFT the former colonies or driven out, let me be diplomatic: ...or persuaded to leave?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
I can book away from AA (and am). Why would MrsDallas49er and I spend more to book the TATL and TPAC “service crap shoot” on AA? Perhaps some of the intelligencia and “Eminence Gris” on this board have an answer
Some of us dont want to or cant regularly buy J. so upgrades and SWUs are of value.

if buying J or F is always an option, then do whats best for you. my uncle happens to be PPS Solitaire or whatever on SQ, but thats materially irrelevant to him as he flies J or F and this happens to occur as part of that.
Dallas49er and GrumpyYoungMan like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.