FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   American Crew Not Great? (Poor int’l. cabin crew experience) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1971403-american-crew-not-great-poor-int-l-cabin-crew-experience.html)

Spinstorm May 26, 2019 5:18 pm

American Crew Not Great? (Poor int’l. cabin crew experience)

I have a feeling that I am not the first nor the last to comment on this but flying yesterday from London to Chicago I felt like the cabin crew were really very much like they couldn’t be bothered to be there.

I wanted to stand just outside the door as the plane was warm and I was told if I got off the plane I would have to remove my bags - I didn’t want to leave the plane I just wanted to get some air before they closed the door; I then asked if I could stand by the door and was told no as people are boarding so I ended up standing next to the crew member who didn’t look at all happy. Even excepting the fact that they have stupid high security level on American Airlines (which I didn’t experience in January between LAX and SFO on American Eagle) I felt like they really didn’t want me there.

During the flight I would ask questions of them perfectly normal questions and they would say they didn’t know or couldn’t help. No I will come back to you - no attempt to give me good service just a brush off.

I don’t expect them to be Qatar Airways but when they have lower levels of service than BA who themselves are average in general that’s shocking.

On the positive side I was presently surprised by how comfortable the 787 was in Economy. But I looked at business class at $7,000 and compared it with the Q-Suites I flew from Doha to Tokyo for less than half that and I felt genuinely sad for the people travelling in business... (although I did myself try to upgrade).

JonNYC May 26, 2019 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Spinstorm (Post 31141031)
...I wanted to stand just outside the door as the plane was warm and I was told if I got off the plane I would have to remove my bags - I didn’t want to leave the plane I just wanted to get some air before they closed the door; I then asked if I could stand by the door and was told no as people are boarding so I ended up standing next to the crew member who didn’t look at all happy. Even excepting the fact that they have stupid high security level on American Airlines (which I didn’t experience in January between LAX and SFO on American Eagle) I felt like they really didn’t want me there.

During the flight I would ask questions of them perfectly normal questions and they would say they didn’t know or couldn’t help. No I will come back to you - no attempt to give me good service just a brush off.

Many AA crews stink, people differ on if it's like 50% or more like 10% (or insert any % one likes.)

However, your bad experience sounds, well... like it might have been a bit 2-sided, if you want the truth.

Spinstorm May 26, 2019 5:53 pm

I am not saying they were terrible - I am saying they seemed like they didn’t want to be there and didn’t want to help. The actual flight itself based overall was very comfortable for economy.

And it may have been jetlag? It could have been a morning flight. Who knows but it wasn’t something that would make me speak well of AA crews. The crews I had on my Eagle flights in Jan/Feb were much nicer, friendlier and Helpful.

golfingboy May 26, 2019 5:56 pm

AA crews suck IMO especially the ones that work on international flights. Yes there are some great crew members but unfortunately the bad ones or indifferent ones dominate the AA premium cabins.

I recently flew JFK-LHR and declined all meals and only had one request from the crew. A cappuccino 45 minutes before landing. Woke up 35 minutes before arrival and there was no cappuccino. I figured they probably didn’t want to disturb me while I was sleeping and I went to the mid cabin lavatory figuring someone will notice I am up and moving knowing I requested a cappuccino. Returned to my seat and waited patiently for a few minutes with some FAs walking past me several times. Finally I tagged down the FA who I placed the order with when they were taking meal orders and that FA proceeded to grill a colleague in front of J customers for failing to deliver.

Just shocking they can’t even deliver on something so basic particularly on flights with relatively senior and experienced crew. Hopefully my flight back will be better but I have very low expectations.

This is partially why I spend my premium dollars on international OW airlines (mainly QR and CX) and not AA.

metallo May 26, 2019 6:36 pm

I wanted to stand just outside the door as the plane was warm and I was told if I got off the plane I would have to remove my bags - I didn’t want to leave the plane I just wanted to get some air before they closed the door; I then asked if I could stand by the door and was told no as people are boarding so I ended up standing next to the crew member who didn’t look at all happy. Even excepting the fact that they have stupid high security level on American Airlines (which I didn’t experience in January between LAX and SFO on American Eagle) I felt like they really didn’t want me there.

In thousands of flights, I've never seen anyone step outside the plane "to get some air" during boarding. So I have this straight... after the crew told you that you could not stand by the door during boarding, you instead stood directly next to the crew member who "didn't look happy." If that happened exactly as you stated, frankly you're lucky they didn't inform the pilots and have you offloaded right there. Sounds like very patient flight crew to me.

Given that you felt it was reasonable to interrupt boarding because you were feeling a bit warm, I'm kinda curious what you felt were "reasonable questions." In my head, I'm imagining things like...
"Where are we flying over right now?"
"How much time is left in the flight?"
"Can you turn the cabin temperature to x degrees? The plane is warm and they wouldn't let me cool down outside earlier."

On the positive side I was presently surprised by how comfortable the 787 was in Economy.

And then we have this. The entire time I was reading your post, I assumed you were sitting at the front of the plane, near the door, and in J, since you desired such close interactions with the flight crew. Instead, it turns out that you exhibited DYKWIA behavior during boarding (and likely throughout the flight also based on my interpretation of your descriptions), and you now reveal that you consciously made a decision not to pony up the cash/points/miles to get the more personalized service. However, even in J, it would be unusual to get the level of service you were expecting.

Better try three class F next time (not on AA, of course), but if the $7,000 price tag for J gave you sticker shock, it may be time to reconsider your expectations, and not just on AA.

enviroian May 26, 2019 6:36 pm

It’s hit or miss but I do agree with the other poster that my bad experiences have been regulated to lhr bound flights. Talk about dragons.

Last week I had a great crew who acknowledged and thanked me for my EXP status as I got cozy into 7A.

Spinstorm May 26, 2019 6:42 pm

There are some grumpy people on this forum.

First of all I woke up with a cough and wanted to just get some air to feel better although that shouldn’t matter. I thought I’d be considerate and not cough all over every other person in economy until I had to sit down. I’m sorry I tried to be considerate to others lol

I have done this before on BA, Qatar and Finnair and had not one grumpy crew member. BA first they were very helpful. Qatar Business was amazing. Even as a lowly economy on AE flights I had better service.

Secondly I wasn’t asking questions during boarding. It was during the flight. I asked for Ice to be told no ice for example. I wasn’t told they would get me some ice. Or sorry we are out of ice. I was just told no ice.

Clearly my mistake here is assuming AA can handle simple requests when clearly they can’t. You guys shouldn’t be defending them. You should (and some of you do) realise they can have and on this flight did have some attitude problems. I was always polite and friendly. They were not.

Clearly AA business is not worth $7,000 - you can’t even start to compare it to Qatar which I guess is the point here. It doesn’t compare. They don’t compare.

(I wanted to upgrade before I got the flight. I offered to pay to upgrade. I offered to use points. There was no availability).

enviroian May 26, 2019 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Spinstorm (Post 31141181)
There are some grumpy people on this forum.

Welcome to Flyertalk!

:D

quitecryptic May 26, 2019 7:02 pm

Here's what happened, you started off the flight by making a bad impression and the FA's were most likely gossiping about you a lot after that. Person of interest with a negative connotation.

Frankly what you did is pretty weird in my opinion, I have never seen someone board and then try to get off the plane for air while others board. FA told you not to, and however dumb you might consider that to be it is what it is... and then your new solution is to stand up front next to the FA's as they greet boarding passengers, how awkward.

So while bad service is not an acceptable reaction to the bad first impression, that is probably the reason it happened... first impressions stick.

DCP2016 May 26, 2019 7:03 pm

Keeping in mind, this is just based on my experience/opinions, they are not to be taken as facts or gospel:

AA Domestic Crews = Great
AA Hawaii Crews = Great
AA International Crews = Dragons

Spinstorm May 26, 2019 7:06 pm

I would add that I boarded in the last group of maybe 10 people. There were literally 4 people who boarded after me. They had obviously gotten lost or something and didn’t turn up for a good 15 minutes. I did not go stand by the door and block anyone at any point.

I was always considerate. Maybe they did decide I was a trouble maker but I didn’t ask them for anything else at any point. It was only when being served that I had questions.

My experience of international v domestic seems to back that up.

metallo May 26, 2019 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Spinstorm (Post 31141181)
First of all I woke up with a cough and wanted to just get some air to feel better although that shouldn’t matter. I thought I’d be considerate and not cough all over every other person in economy until I had to sit down. I’m sorry I tried to be considerate to others lol

I have done this before on BA, Qatar and Finnair and had not one grumpy crew member.

I suppose I shouldn't be critical of OP and should feel fortunate I have my health. I can see how having to deal with such a bothersome cough on so many flights across so many carriers could be truly distressing.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George May 26, 2019 7:40 pm

If the OP was feeling unwell he should have not traveled. Crew are responsible for getting people seated and bags stowed for an ontime departure. Having people step out makes that process harder.

Nuhusky May 26, 2019 7:46 pm

Crews are hit or miss but I have to say it would probably annoy me were i crew to have some dude standing by the door during boarding.

1 that’s just weird
2 you are likely getting in the way even if you thought you were not. The crew have one job, close the door and get off the ground. You likely were deemed to impede in that goal
3 some random person standing in the door acting odd who came up through premium economy and economy to boot to act odd feels like a security risk. I’d give you the stink eye for sure
4 you are damn lucky you didn’t get kicked off the flight right there

Just get out of the way next time and don’t stand in the aircraft door during boarding

Gino Troian May 26, 2019 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Nuhusky (Post 31141286)
4 you are damn lucky you didn’t get kicked off the flight right there

you've got to be kidding