Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Crew Not Great? (Poor int’l. cabin crew experience)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Crew Not Great? (Poor int’l. cabin crew experience)

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by wrldwide1
OP, it’s clear you aren’t an American.

i also notice you’ve been told numerous times in this thread the standing by the crew near the door thing is weird but you choose to ignore it.

Fly non-US based carriers in the future, then you’ll be treated as you believe you deserve to be treated.
Better yet, OP shouldn't come back to the US, stick to his Doha-Tokyo flights instead....
wrldwide1 likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: UA Gold
Just Strange

When I read this this morning I thought it was strange. So I called up a AA 777 captain buddy of mine and a DL FA buddy. Both have never heard of such stupidity. My DF FA pal said that you are extremely lucky that you were not kicked off your flight. Not because you were bothering the crew but because of the coughing and the request for "fresh air." It takes a lot to get a International flight off the gate. You were slowing things down and possibly making the flight late. As others have said you are a DYKWIA.
wrp96, nancypants and wrldwide1 like this.
Old May 27, 2019, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
There is a (pretty well justified) meta-narrative that AA is not a customer-first airline and cannot execute on its service promise with any consistency. But that does not mean OP has a point here. Any economy passenger who wants to venture two cabins forward of his assigned seat and essentially participate in the front-door greeting / boarding process will attract negative attention and brand himself as aberrant, or at least someone to keep an eye on.
Old May 27, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
I switch between ANA and AA business class for international. The service is night and day. ANA FAs are super attentive and helpful, and will help in any way they can. AA are typically rude and are sight unseen for most of the flight. Even when you do see them, it's rushed and they don't typically like questions that take them away from their routine. And god-forbid you bother them when they're gossiping or playing on their cell phone in the middle of the flight.

That said, standing by the door, or trying to get outside of the door after entering the plane just isn't appropriate, and if you need air before the flight takes off, just delay boarding until the end, or stand in the sky bridge and let people go by you before you cross the threshold and you're good to go. But if I were an FA, I wouldn't want you disrupting the flow or lingering around near the door as people are loading the aircraft either.

I've also never been denied ice, even have to tell them not to give me ice when I ask for a full can, even in economy. They probably didn't didn't understand the request and were in their typical hurried state so they could get back to gossiping and playing on their phones.
Old May 27, 2019, 9:03 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by DCP2016
Keeping in mind, this is just based on my experience/opinions, they are not to be taken as facts or gospel:

AA Domestic Crews = Great
AA Hawaii Crews = Great
AA International Crews = Dragons
Hawaii crews are the best!
Old May 27, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by seigex
I switch between ANA and AA business class for international. The service is night and day. ANA FAs are super attentive and helpful, and will help in any way they can. AA are typically rude and are sight unseen for most of the flight. Even when you do see them, it's rushed and they don't typically like questions that take them away from their routine. And god-forbid you bother them when they're gossiping or playing on their cell phone in the middle of the flight.

That said, standing by the door, or trying to get outside of the door after entering the plane just isn't appropriate, and if you need air before the flight takes off, just delay boarding until the end, or stand in the sky bridge and let people go by you before you cross the threshold and you're good to go. But if I were an FA, I wouldn't want you disrupting the flow or lingering around near the door as people are loading the aircraft either.

I've also never been denied ice, even have to tell them not to give me ice when I ask for a full can, even in economy. They probably didn't didn't understand the request and were in their typical hurried state so they could get back to gossiping and playing on their phones.
This.

OP—I am so, so, incredibly sympathetic to your point that AA international crews have sub-par customer service skills. It's not just US-based airline thing—Delta's are so much better, and I actually think overall United's are much better at this point. AA simply doesn't seem to care to teach customer service skills or enforce customer service standards among its senior crew, and it shows. The naturally skilled ones who are internally motivated to be great are really a treat, the inexperienced ones who are motivated can be ok if they can figure out what to do on the job, and the rest are mediocre to unpleasant.

The ice incident I find very easy to imagine, and is totally inexcusable.

All that said, I also agree with the universal consensus here that you were behaving extremely out of the norm during boarding, as do many of the posters here who seem to agree with your broader point. I hope you can take that in—it can be subtle, but what you did is just Not Done for many reasons that have been explained upthread, and it doesn't surprise me in the least that the crew acted like they didn't want you to be there, because I'm quite sure they didn't.

Again—saying this as someone who completely agrees with your broader point.
nancypants and seigex like this.
Old May 27, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
“stupid high security,”...... easy for a non-American to say given that whatever country you’re from didn’t go through 9/11. If you hate American security so much, then don’t come to America and don’t fly American carriers.

In 30 years of constant air travel, I have never seen any passenger display such bizarre behavior as boarding and then going back to the door to hang out for fresh air prior to departure. Your behavior was so strange that I’m sure the crew felt both nervous and annoyed by it. What do you think would have happened if you walked out that door? Those flight attendants don’t know your intentions. And you’re upset because the crew wasn’t friendly and ignored your questions and requests? It’s hard to believe you have as much flying experience as you claim given your abnormal behavior and unrealistic expectations of proper crew behavior, especially flying in economy class.

nancypants likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AA100k
“stupid high security,”...... easy for a non-American to say given that whatever country you’re from didn’t go through 9/11. If you hate American security so much, then don’t come to America and don’t fly American carriers.
The mentality of "if you don't like the way it is in America exactly as it is, then don't criticize or come here" is the most un-American thing I've ever heard.

I'm an American and I think the TSA is worthless. Am I going to be kicked out?
MIAman3, IggySD, SamOF and 7 others like this.
Old May 27, 2019, 11:00 am

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the replies in this thread. As soon as I read the OP, I said to myself “this is going to be good” and grabbed my popcorn.

I think I will save my color commentary until the OP updates the thread with the return trip evaluation of the crew.
ceebee100 and nancypants like this.
Old May 27, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Antarius
The mentality of "if you don't like the way it is in America exactly as it is, then don't criticize or come here" is the most un-American thing I've ever heard.

I'm an American and I think the TSA is worthless. Am I going to be kicked out?
I didn’t say the OP couldn’t criticize, or that America is perfect, just that if he is so annoyed, he could avoid it easily enough. Hardly un-American.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Sorry you had encountered a "Poor int'l cabin crew experience" on your LHR-ORD flight.

First, I find it extremely odd that you were denied ice during the flight. Was this from both aisles, or even from the aft galley? Every single FA denied you ice? Every FA denied you an answer to your questions? This I find very odd, as ORD crews are some of the best in the system. Sure, since ORD lost the Asia routes, many of the more Senior FAs have taken over the European routes, but everyone denied you ice/answers?

As for you standing next to the boarding FA for Fresh Air, yes, that is odd behavior. The Security at LHR even frowns when the crew needs to step off the aircraft, so I can see why you were denied getting off. The boarding door (as well as the cross aisle) is very busy with activity. People boarding with luggage, (hitting everyone and everything), cabin crew stowing items, B/C galley FA may need to check certain compartments in the area...even being in the way sometimes of boarding pax, ground personnel like Caterers, Maintenance, Agents coming/going, and sometimes pilots doing last minute checks....PDBs of Water, OJ, Sparkling Wine, which is often set up next to the 2R door (opposite of boarding door), delivery of newspapers to BC pax, and crew getting the aircraft ready for departure ensuring bags are stowed and closing of OHBs.

I know when I've been the greeter/director, I'm very animated in greeting/directing, and someone standing next to me gets in the way, whether it was at the beginning, or last 10-15 people.

It may have been stuffy in the cabin as 1) the APU was not working, so had to wait for the engines to start to get some air movement, 2) the ground air had been disconnected as the ground crew was preparing the plane for departure.

Hope your return flight goes much better.
BearX220, C17PSGR, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old May 27, 2019, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by sluggoaafa
First, I find it extremely odd that you were denied ice during the flight.
Well...the flight was catered in London and in England ice is a precious commodity. If you get more than one cube in your glass consider yourself lucky.

wrp96 and Geordie405 like this.
Old May 27, 2019, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
LHR-USA on AA I think is probably the route with the most aggressive security, I believe (pre-boarding interviews of all passengers, and I don't recall if they do random bag checks at the gate)...
Old May 27, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Red face

Originally Posted by enviroian
Well...the flight was catered in London and in England ice is a precious commodity. If you get more than one cube in your glass consider yourself lucky.

LOL, true, Europeans often don't like ice....however, LHR is very good with ice. Coming out of NRT or PKE/PVG on the other hand, I can agree with! Large cubes of ice and that's about it! LOL
Old May 27, 2019, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
The AA international cabin crews are often lacking...those flying the Asian routes are notorious for "senioritis", in all cabins...The GA agents are not any better...I was once boarding a flight ORD-PEK in J. They started boarding well ahead of the published time and they had boarded the whole 788 in 15-20 minutes. I was hastily getting coffee across from the gate and they were yelling at my partner that they need to close the doors now, a good 50 minutes before scheduled departure, and that they will leave me behind if I didn't board in one minute...AA staff is out of control sometimes...

I carry the "above and beyond" certificates of appreciation with me when I fly and I am having great difficulty giving them out...Nobody goes above and beyond these days, it seems...I usually end up giving them at the end of the year to some just for doing their jobs, just for "not messing up", lol...

Last edited by nk15; May 27, 2019 at 12:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.