Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Crew Not Great? (Poor int値. cabin crew experience)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Crew Not Great? (Poor int値. cabin crew experience)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by Antarius
Fundamentally, the system of crewing is broken. Staffing on routes should be performance based, not seniority based.
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I have been reading these comments with great interest. Whilst the idea of standing on a Jetway or hovering by a door to get fresh air at Heathrow of all places, may seem preposterous to me, I have followed the thread all the way through.

I have flown AA for years - mostly domestic as I have to travel to Hawaii at least twice a year as I own property there. I hate to generalise but I have noticed that the more than one of the crews seem lacking in dynamism and positive attitude. It seems that they are there to do the job. fill the hours and go home. There are wonderful exceptions to that fortunately. I blame the work culture of all the changes that have taken place, and as I have said before, the lack of any kind of Service Manager on board the aircraft. There is no one to whom they report. No one can tell anyone else what to do, and sort out conduct. If anyone had come to me and told me that one of my team had answered a customer in a manner that is reported by @Donsyb, I would want to know why and unless I got a good explanation the matter would not end there. That sort of Bulls**t attitude is utterly indefensible, but I would want to hear what they have to say before leaping to conclusions. Similarly the ice incident, if it is to be believed, would have had the same effect. Trust me that from London AA carry enough ice to sink the Titanic. We have threads here with strings of posts about whether the crew could be assed to do PDFs or not. Lots don't as no one gets paid for that. Although it is First Class in name only apart from the seating, it is part of the service but nobody is there to insist that is done and nobody gets into any trouble for not doing it.

Until they have proper Flight Service Managers whose job it is to ensure that the proper service standards are maintained,and that someone actually give a d*mn about the crew then I really do not see what is about to change.

I do sympathise with crew who have seen their contracts changing, different policies come into effect and their pay is probably not that brilliant these days. No, I know that no one made them do the job but I was taught that if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.All in all, it seems to me that there is a fairly toxic company background and some of them have given up giving a d*mn,
Spot on, both. In the cold,clear light of day (and reality), and whether some of us are willing to admit it openly or not, we ALL recognize the problem and the cause, and the solution-Accountability

But therein lies the rub-Accountability will never happen in the cabin.

Why would a union, in it痴 un-enlightened self interest, accept a provision that would require FAs to do more (like their job)for the same pay, and potentially put FA jobs at risk for under performance? Why would they, when they have been able to perform down to whatever standard THEY feel like (and the company be damned) with zero fear of retribution?

Don稚 get me wrong, there are some fabulous FAs out there, but they seem to be getting farther and fewer between. And I have sunk to their level, unintentionally, by handing out AAplause certificates to FAs for just doing what they are supposed to.

Old Jun 3, 2019, 3:39 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Had a crew LAA senior crew (some even wearing the LAA uniforms which brought me back to much better days, but that's for a different topic) out of JFK recently FWIW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.