Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Crew Not Great? (Poor int’l. cabin crew experience)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Crew Not Great? (Poor int’l. cabin crew experience)

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Originally Posted by Gino Troian
you've got to be kidding
No but do feel free to tell me how much smarter you are than I
Old May 26, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
If the OP was feeling unwell he should have not traveled. Crew are responsible for getting people seated and bags stowed and providing PDBs early enough during boarding for an ontime departure. Having people step out makes that process harder.
Fixed that.

Now that I think about it more, OP potentially slowing down the PDB service for those who actually reserved J seats really seems like one of the worst things about this whole scenario.
Thysk likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
OP, can you elaborate on the "no ice" incident? Were you just politely asking for ice in your drink when the FA came around with the beverage service? If so, that response would indeed be odd. Or was it in some other context?
nancypants and Spinstorm like this.
Old May 26, 2019, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club - Gold, HH - Gold, Marriott - Gold
I think this is being over analysed. My opinion was that they weren’t helpful or as polite as they could be. It was a general impression. I was trying to say they were not the worst ever. Just not of a standard that I would have expected.

To clarify - everyone in business class was seated. I know this as I heard them say it to each other. And there were a few more people to board. To clarify I was 5 rows from the door. There were 4 PE to the right and then my row. Business was to the left.

I didn’t slow anyone down. I didn’t block anyone. I didn’t inconvenience anyone because if I noticed I was doing that I’d have gone back to my seat because I have manners and I am polite.

Furthermore I’m not going to change my plans and not get to go away this weekend because I have a cough. And to suggest that I can’t travel because of that is just silly.

It’s only the kind of attitude I’d expect on an American airline. I wouldn’t expect this on any other airline. I didn’t look dodgy. I wasn’t acting like a criminal. I probably smelled nice as I’d had a shower in the lounge and they had that lovely Aesop geranium shower wash in the Cathay Pacific lounge. Is that unnecessary detail. Yes. But I feel that if I don’t explain everything someone is going to complain about it. You guys should definitely fly a different airline so your happier lol
Old May 26, 2019, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spinstorm

On the positive side I was presently surprised by how comfortable the 787 was in Economy. But I looked at business class at $7,000 and compared it with the Q-Suites I flew from Doha to Tokyo for less than half that and I felt genuinely sad for the people travelling in business... (although I did myself try to upgrade).
AA 50-day advance I fares with a Saturday night stay are about $3000 USD roundtrip on this route. It's not like $7000 is the only price AA has on it. Is it going to match your Q-Suite experience? Probably not. But you can do quite a bit better than $7K with advance planning.
Old May 26, 2019, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper
AA 50-day advance I fares with a Saturday night stay are about $3000 USD roundtrip on this route. It's not like $7000 is the only price AA has on it. Is it going to match your Q-Suite experience? Probably not. But you can do quite a bit better than $7K with advance planning.
True. It was a last minute trip. Booked to take advantage of the Monday holiday in the UK.
Old May 26, 2019, 9:09 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Well, like they often say at the beginning, the cabin crew are there primarily for your safety. In other words, it doesn't surprise me that the FAs on your flight cared more about you standing by the door towards the end of boarding than about fulfilling your request for ice.

I think it's fair to say that there are good FAs at AA and bad ones—ones that truly care about service, and ones that are simply phoning it in. It looks like you may have encountered the latter on your flight from London. The FAs at AA are too diverse and large in number for blanket categorizations, however, in my opinion.

Finally, note that the FAs on your SFO-LAX flight were probably Compass flight attendants, not AA flight attendants (Compass operates most SFO-LAX as American Eagle).
Old May 26, 2019, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Finally, note that the FAs on your SFO-LAX flight were probably Compass flight attendants, not AA flight attendants (Compass operates most SFO-LAX as American Eagle).
I’m not agreeing nor disagreeing with the OP.

That being said it doesn’t matter if it is Compass, Mesa , or air America. When you book a flight on aa.com their partners need to adhere to American’s way of doing business.
LAX-1K and wrp96 like this.
Old May 26, 2019, 9:59 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, AAdvantage
It’s creepy to stand where you were standing, especially since your seat wasn’t up front. As a passenger, I’d be wondering what you were up to and hoping the plane and I remained in one piece during the trip.

Also, since you don’t care for the “attitude” on “American” carriers, feel free to not book tickets with them, and fly with carriers that let you hang out by the door and answer all your questions to your satisfaction.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrldwide1
It’s creepy to stand where you were standing, especially since your seat wasn’t up front. As a passenger, I’d be wondering what you were up to and hoping the plane and I remained in one piece during the trip.
You sound like a nervous flyer. I told her why I wanted air. She didn’t say I had to sit down. If she had I would have sat down. I know what American laws are like. I wouldn’t mess around. I’d probably get shot for getting a bottle of water out my bag.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:05 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, AAdvantage
Not nervous, just looking out for oddball behavior. Don’t be weird and you’ll have no problems.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Wow, bizarre doesn't even begin to describe it. OP, that is just strange behavior. If you need air so bad that you can't be on the plane for 15 minutes, maybe you shouldn't be flying. And asking them to get you ice prior to departure in economy? Are you serious? I wouldn't ask for something so obnoxious even in business class. Any non-white person would've been immediately offloaded IMO. Maybe you shouldn't fly a US carrier in the future if you just expect the FAs to cave to every one of your demands. Personally, I much prefer the authentic style of good AA crews rather than the robots that work QR or CX, but to each their own.
Exec_Plat and nancypants like this.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I sometimes stand by the door before takeoff. The 787s have terrible signal inside them and LAX is pretty poor out on the Tarmac. So if I need to send something, I stand by 2L.

No FA has ever had an issue with it. Although I do tell them what I'm trying to do and make sure it is ok first.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Lol I didn’t ask for ice before departure.

I was very clear. I asked for ice when they were serving drinks. I was given a drink. I asked for ice. I got a no. Instead of a more polite answer.

As for the wanting air thing I really don’t see the big deal here. I wasn’t breaking any rules. I explained why I wanted air. I explained I was fine to fly. I explained I didn’t went to cough all over the other in economy and I explained that I tried to upgrade. She didn’t tell me I couldn’t stand by the door. She just told me not to block it. And that I couldn’t get off which was fine. If she had told me to sit down I would have. Instead she just gave me an unhappy look.

I didn’t cause any trouble or complain about anything on the flight. Furthermore I assume that they would have checked who I was if worried about me and see I have BA gold membership and therefore am not a random weirdo.

But also I accept that maybe for most in here are too worried about what people think about what they do that they can cause the problems they are worried about themselves. I don’t know how many in this thread are American. I am not.

However back to the point here. The crew were not the best. They didn’t seen to care. And I wasn’t impressed. That’s it.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
It’s standard protocol for flight crew to ask / require you to remove your belongings if you get off the plane (I’ve heard it countless times, as I’m sure many others have as well). While you had no intention of not returning, the FAs have many and sundry items / situations to address during boarding and likely don’t have the ability to monitor a passenger on the jet bridge to the degree a typical FA would deem reasonably sufficient. Beyond that, it sounds like boarding was nearly complete, so of course the crew would prefer that folks take their seats to help achieve a timely departure.

Furthermore, on international flights passengers are not supposed to cross cabins. While the door was still open, technically you were “crossing cabins”. Throw in a cough on top of that, while standing close to a FA during boarding after they told you not to linger outside of the door, why yes, that would raise eyebrows and annoy folks.

My (opinionated) two cents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.