Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
sad. i had dreams of making 2mm, but at 1.15 mm, I'll never make 2mm, or at least not for another 8 or so years. Sigh

:\
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat
First post at 2:25 today, its not even four hours later and we have 14 screens of posts.

I don't know if this a record, but it sure feels like AA has touched a raw nerve with its client base.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by bamboosensation
sad. i had dreams of making 2mm, but at 1.15 mm, I'll never make 2mm, or at least not for another 8 or so years. Sigh

:\
You and me both. :\
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt GP Platinum, *wood Gold
Originally Posted by imapilotaz
I for one am very disappointed in this. I've known about this perk for probably 15 years. My father crossed 1MM at least 20 years ago and 2MM 15 years ago. He stopped flying AA much about 10 years ago at just shy of 5MM. My goal had been to always pass him with my lifetime Platinum card. No way in hell I'll hit 5MM BIS.

I would think I would be a prime target of AA. Im in my low 30s, professional who now travels extensively for work (100k miles annually, virtually all of it fairly last minute domestic flying, no mileage runs whatsoever) I'm sitting on about 350k in miles and with my flying, credit card offers, and probably $75k in annual credit card spend (almost excusively reimbursed by my company), i figured I would be there within a year or two. Now I'm looking at nearly 6 1/2 years to hit lifetime gold? and probably 15 years for Platinum? Yikes, it just doesnt interest me anymore.

This gives me zero incentive to try and accrue as many miles as possible on AA. I've purposefully avoided the other airlines' deals for credit cards, bonus miles, etc, to concentrate on AA. I make sure every flight is on AA (and some make no damn sense or cost $500 more than connecting).

Today, I honestly dont see a reason to do that anymore. It's a shame and I wish AA hadnt have done this. It's a perk that really made me more loyal to them than I probably should have been. Sure i'll continue to fly AA 90% of the time, but any of the extra money AA got from marketing deals with credit cards, mortgage companies, real estate referrals, brokerage firms, rental car companies, etc is gone from me. I might as well build a portfolio of airlines with 250k miles or more through those offers to use as alternatives to AA.
On the other hand, all these threatened mass defections from AA will mean more room and more upgrades for those of us who will be grandfathered under the new plan . LT members also have the advantage of not having to meet a minimum paid BIS miles quota each year, so they can save more money by using miles for free flights instead. I would have to crunch the numbers, but it could be worth it for me to keep some RDM-earning products.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
I tell you what....go fly on UA...but stop and take a look at what kind of program devaluations are in the works over there...they make the million miler realignment here look like child's play. If rumored changes to MP program come through as leaked at this point, then 1P on UA will be completely useless...
+1 And while you're at it, look at the program devaluations have already taken place at UA. IME, award and certainly upgrade availability at time of ticketing are considerably better at AA. And the price for those UA flights that can be upgraded is often higher than at AA, since usually UA's low cost Y fares aren't eligible for upgrades.

My personal reaction: While the change to the AA MM program is lousy, disappointing news, it's somewhat expected and sort of understandable.

Last edited by Thunderroad; Aug 24, 2011 at 4:40 pm
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:08 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
Sorry about that. I didn't see the correction. I agree with you btw that the emphasis on BIS miles makes sense.
No problems.. I'm glad we're on the same page...
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA AA
Originally Posted by Ritz
Just a point of clarification, AA. So you're saying those of us who have been very loyal, very longtime Citibank Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard holders do not have the option to continue to earn BIS miles for the following year that brand new, bonus-chasing Citi Executive Cardholders have?
The difference is that the Executive card has a yearly fee of $450, so yes, you are not as wanted.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:15 pm

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt plat,...
This stinks.
While the lifetime program will not be much use to me I kept on accruing aa miles because if I get plat then I can use partner lounges on other airlines for international flights.

I fly to HKG twice a year on CX and placed more miles in aa (through shopping/credit cards/ etc) just for the fact that I can get plat status and access to their lounges.

Now I feel like I did all that work for nothing.

I might as well got back to NWA (now delta) and earn MM status with them now.

Although it is nice that Maya gave an official heads up to the program changes in advance so we can plan accordingly.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:17 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Don't you just love the manner in which AA try to present one's "extraordinary commitment" as a reason to devalue the program. In any other sphere of life such misrepresentations would be deemed to be out and out lies. But using PR- speak allows them to pretend they are making a statement recognizing our "loyalty". Mr. Leibman signs the Email "President - AAdvantage Loyalty Program". Humbug!
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA 2MM PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by kebosabi
I disagree. UA doesn't recognize non-UA flights to count towards their lifetime counter; only UA metal flights. So if you happen to take a long ANA flight from LAX-NRT or SQ flight from NRT-SIN, it means jack on MM recognition on UA.

In contrast, AA recognizes flights like LAX-LHR on BA, or HKG-AMS on CX. Having AA count international flights on their partners to the MM counter is a big plus over UA.
Not as big a plus as it may seem. It's a lot easier to fly UA metal internationally than it is AA metal, especially from the West Coast.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:23 pm
BAK

Programs: AA/HH/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Full Score
Don't you just love the manner in which AA try to present one's "extraordinary commitment" as a reason to devalue the program. In any other sphere of life such misrepresentations would be deemed to be out and out lies. But using PR- speak allows them to pretend they are making a statement recognizing our "loyalty". Mr. Leibman signs the Email "President - AAdvantage Loyalty Program". Humbug!
Nice summary. I am also a little disappointed with the way it was presented. Well, no lifetime Plat for me. I will be taking a closer look at the UA/CO: I like their Economy+ product and they have better international schedules. On the plus side, I will still make it to the lifetime Gold and I have a lot of AA miles to burn.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by tbuccelli
The difference is that the Executive card has a yearly fee of $450, so yes, you are not as wanted.
Clearly you're not a credit-lending scholar.

New cardholder + $450/year fee + $? spend = 1 year/AA bonuses/unproven borrower.

Longtime cardholder + $85/year fee + $250,000/yearly spend = 17 years/no new AA bonuses = very wanted. @:-)
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by kaztm
This is a huge disappointment for me.
I agree, as much as I don't mind making MM more exclusive (with regard to BIS achievers), I'll miss the extra four SUWs I was getting every three years (125k BIS with 100% bonus and another $100k spend per year).
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by milehound
On the other hand, all these threatened mass defections from AA will mean more room and more upgrades for those of us who will be grandfathered under the new plan . LT members also have the advantage of not having to meet a minimum paid BIS miles quota each year, so they can save more money by using miles for free flights instead. I would have to crunch the numbers, but it could be worth it for me to keep some RDM-earning products.
It's true... it's really a Catch-22 situation here. Sure, we won't hit MM as quickly with BIS, but that's not going to move me away from AA. With all the bonus miles from credit card offers, electricity providers, etc. you can still nab more AAward flights, which over the life of being loyal to a program is going to save you a lot more money than being Lifetime Gold.

I have appx 400k lifetime miles, so I am bummed to read this, but it will not force me to leave for another carrier. It really is a YMMV situation for each specific traveler.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:31 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines
You have the opportunity to earn BIS miles by flying AA or any AAdvantage participating airline. Unlike any other airline, you also have the opportunity to earn miles towards Million Miler status through the Citi Executive Card. This is a great card with a lot of benefits which you should check out if you haven't had the chance already.
This would be worth it if it lasted more than a year. But with that only being good through 2012, even that is unattractive.

I had kicked around the idea of getting this card previously (mainly for the AC benefits), and if this card would be valid for earning MM status for the long term, this would have pushed me over the edge. Knowing it only lasts for a year.. well, I'm not going to waste my time signing up for 1 year and then cancelling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.