Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:05 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
Wrong. Almost all of my 2.6MM has been flying. But much of it was elite status bonuses since I've been EXP forever and a day....
If you read my other post you would have noticed I made a correction(i.e.including the fact BIS+BONUS could be indeed calculated in)..

Originally Posted by Jacobin777
You are correct, I have to make a correction. It was BIS+Bonus of BIS -but a lot of it has been as Gold.

I should have stated that 90%-95% has been w/out the use of credit cards, shopping, transfer miles, etc.

I still like the fact the only way to achieve LT is to get on a plane.

From what it seems, one can still earn "non-LT" points on AA from various credit cards, dining, etc. Ostensibly, it seem only the "LT" award/achievement will by via flying..I'll be more than glad to stand corrected however..
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Just trying to clear my thoughts here. After reading 10-12 pages, i believe AA miles earned through citi visa/amex/mc cards will still accrue after Nov 30th, 2011 but they will not count towards life time status. Correct??
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:08 pm

Programs: MR, SPG, IHG, HH, CC, AA, UA, BA, DL
Originally Posted by UpliftingSound
Any chance that 100 of you would like to sign up for a Starwood card under my referral link before December 1.
Funny, I was just about to ask the same question!
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Originally Posted by lewisdrummond
How many people can hit 1 million BIS seat miles? That seems awfully high...
I did, twice. My remaining 800,000 was from..........let me check my behind. Well, most of it tells me it was BIS too.
Does the elite double miles for flights count for MM status? I guess not after December 1, 2011.

But, I'm only 200K away from 3MM. Here I come. Keep fares low!

Spock Seat. :-:
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by NetSurfer69
WoW! Interesting tone from a corporate representative responding to a customer's comments.

Anyways, to address your specific question,

Yes, the revised AAdvantage MillionMiler structure is far less attractive than the United MillionMiler program, given that it requires twice the number of BIS miles to attain the same status. Most of us who are AAdvantage elites and working towards MillionMiler+ status fly American 80%-90% of the time and an AA partner airline only occasionally.

Truly speaking, you should not use the CitiCard extension in this equation as that is a temporary (CYA?) extension.
I tell you what....go fly on UA...but stop and take a look at what kind of program devaluations are in the works over there...they make the million miler realignment here look like child's play. If rumored changes to MP program come through as leaked at this point, then 1P on UA will be completely useless...
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by muflyer
Maya makes no specific reference to Verizon Wireless accessories purchased through the AA e shopping portal. I assume those will still count for 83K miles towards MM status.
+1

Maya knows why I buy!!
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:15 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
The extra notice is certainly appreciated, and yes, we knew it was coming, though I'd drawn hope from a hint somewhere that elite bonuses would continue to count. Their exclusion from future MM calculations means it's somewhat unlikely that I'll ever see another set of bonus eVIPs for crossing a new MM threshold. But I'm happy to have earned the ones sitting in my account now.
When this becomes effective, I will probably move my CC spend off my AA cards and move at least some funds out of BD (come to think of it, I will move BD after 11/1 and move the CC spend as soon as the latest November billing card cycle closes).
As for the UA vs. AA comparison, unless one does a huge proportion of partner flying, it seems to me that UA's MM program as currently constituted beats AA's for someone starting out, but the calculation changes for someone who's already at least close to 1MM on AA. In that case someone who does any partner flying might be better off with AA's program, I think.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:17 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
What EQP promo?
http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/eliteStr...e=eliterewards

and discussed here on FT: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ighlight=promo
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, PC Platinum, SPG Gold, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by DutchMember
As a longterm EXP flyer who flies about 100-125 BIS /yr and earned another 250-300k miles /yr in bonus miles and cc spending, I will get those 4 extra eVIPs only once every 8-10 years instead of every 2-3 years. This really sucks...
+1

I have to think AA makes a lot selling miles to AAdvantage partners. When I was getting close to another million tier, I was transferring points to AAdvantage and buying miles to get those SWUs. No need for that anymore.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by rfrost
As for the UA vs. AA comparison, unless one does a huge proportion of partner flying, it seems to me that UA's MM program as currently constituted beats AA's for someone starting out, but the calculation changes for someone who's already at least close to 1MM on AA. In that case someone who does any partner flying might be better off with AA's program, I think.
Definitely hit the nail. As a West Coast flyer, I have to rely on AS flights to get to places like PDX, SEA and YVR; routing through LAX-DFW-PDX/SEA/YVR is a waste of time.

Most of my annual flights outside are on OW carriers, i.e. domestic Japan on JL and intra-Europe on BA so the partner award counting toward lifetime counter works for me. ^
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by iqbalt80
Just trying to clear my thoughts here. After reading 10-12 pages, i believe AA miles earned through citi visa/amex/mc cards will still accrue after Nov 30th, 2011 but they will not count towards life time status. Correct??
Correct. You will still earn REDEEMABLE miles, just not Million Miler qualifying miles (except throu 12/2012 on the Citi Executive MasterCard)
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Agreed!

As aktchi explained, this will certainly take the "umph" out of many of the partnerships/bonus miles programs that AAdvantage members have grown accustomed to seeking and trying to maximize. Particularly the folks who frequent this forum looking for such information, or the many blogs/other sites that grew out of the very conversations which originated here.

I understand the changes and maybe it's true that the number of folks looking to maximize opportunities in pursuit of a given AA MM plateau is a rather small number, however at the same time I really don't buy the argument that the MM benefits were so secret in the first place and unknown to anyone interested in finding such information by just a simple search.

I find it quite puzzling that in such a competitive flying environment, the change would come now to a loyalty program making the effort to be a loyal flyer a greater commitment then what had previously been available for years.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 4MM; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
AC membership with new CC

I currently wield a regular ol' Citi AAdvantage MasterCard, which I've had for over a decade. I received an offer from Citi for the new Citi Executive(SM) / AAdvantageŽ World Elite(TM) MasterCardŽ a month or so ago, but didn't pull the trigger on it because I had just renewed my AC membership in June.

Now, with the new MM plan, I'm wondering if I can upgrade my existing card to the new Citi Executive card, but have the new card cover my AC fee for next year. Seems a little far-fetched, but never hurts to ask, right?

Thanks,
--woodstock
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:35 pm

Thanks!

Maya:

Thank you for putting the rumors to rest and giving us far more than the promised two-month notice. While I had secretly hoped for a few more opportunities to add miles to the MM Program (perhaps limited non-flight miles for elites per year), the changes are not as draconian as I had feared.

I've earned enough miles and points (the last half of which are largely thanks to FlyerTalk and our favorite bloggers) to be able to make LTG in the next few months. I suspect LTP is out of my reach now but I will remain a loyal AAdvantage member and AA will continue to be my favorite airline.

Thank you,

Ike
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA PLAT SPG DL
Plan it out

Sitting at 2.1MM Lifetime, with Mrs. sitting at 3.1MM we have no urgency. We fly about 40M BIS miles each, and have for over 25 years, and for the last 15 years, all of it non-business. When the previous rumors of the program ending were around, we planned it out. She would reach 2MM, leting us both use her status, then I would reach 2MM, then she would reach 3MM, etc...... I suggest to all of you to:
1) Evaluate the benefit to you, ie. If you would gain Plat, and would otherwise be gold or non-status, what would the 100% or 75% extra bonus be worth to you based on how much you fly.
2) Look at the 'Buy Miles, Gift Miles' arena. I use my miles for Int'l business class, and buying miles then flying on a free or upgraded ticket does work for me.
3) You may also be able to buy starwood points, then transfer them.
4) Take a look at those extra milage runs. This is a one time shot.
5) Look at your CC Spend. Are there gift cards you can purchase that you would use next year (if you have the cash flow) instead of earning .01% in a checking account.
6) I'm not very sophisticated. If you are close, spend a little more time reaching out. Three months is a lot of time to work a solution (How many miles does uncle bob have that he could gift you........)

Good luck to all the flyers out there!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.