Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by dfw_plt_aa
Absolutely, with this change AAdvantage is way behind United. If I were starting today to select a frequent flyer program and was interested in lifetime status, I would select United since it is much easier to fly 1 million miles for lifetime mid-tier on United versus needing 2 million miles on American. As an additional sweetener for United, 3 million miles gives lifetime top-tier on United, while there is no lifetime top-tier on American.
Right. This makes the AA program about 1 million miles behind the UA program. It will be interesting to see how UA changes their program.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Bummer.

I understand the reason, I got to the party just a little too late.

(Sitting at 640K lifetime)
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I would tend to think that AA could have set itself off from DL/UA by counting elite bonus miles as an incentive/reward to elite flyers, particularly PLT and EXPs. Also, AA could have included using the higher of miles or points to reward those flyers purchasing higher fare tickets although AA's technology may have found accomodating that feature a difficult task to achieve.

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
And for some general commentary...the Lifetime program on AA has been way too lax for years and has in my opinion rewarded the wrong kinds of folks. The churners, the serial abusers etc. Those of us who are going on 10 years EXP have really been disproportionately disadvantaged in some ways.

I appreciate the new move to reward those who truly support the backbone of AA's existence....flying on their aircraft. I reckon that of my 2.6MM miles that about 1-1.2MM are BIS.

Say what you want, but unlike other airlines, AA looks out for us top tier elites. Whether it's making lifetime status tougher or not handing out lifetime EXP, I appreciate that my business on a year to year basis is appreciated and its benefits protected by AA.
It sounds like about 40% of your 2.6MM has been through non-flying. For me, though I'm only close to 1MM, 90%-95% of it has been via BIS so I actually support this new move by AA as it makes it a bit more "exclusive"...

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, HH Gold, and SPG Gold
It's good that the airline lets us know beforehand.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jpzeller
Maybe I'm dense, but I don't understand - those rental car/hotel dollars charged will still accrue MILES, nicht wahr? The miles will simply not count toward million-mile status.

Correct?
Hotel programs and some credit card programs tend to give a higher return than AAdvantage for non-flight activities. The MM program was a mild incentive to just credit everything to AA instead of managing/maximizing 2 or 3 programs.

I recently picked up Silver in the Radisson program since I could get over 30,000 of their points from 2 hotel stays and 4 car rentals. The 6 bookings totaled about $600, and had I credited them to AA, I would have only received 900 miles.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:10 pm

Programs: Charter Member Delta Diamond Medallion, Lifetime AA Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hilton & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Can one assume that existing LT Golds will not receive the bonus miles?
I achieved lifetime gold this year. I would like to exchange my 8 unused upgrade certificates for 35,000 miles but did not see any explination of how to do this.

Last edited by ceieoc; Aug 26, 2011 at 5:37 am
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:10 pm

oh well... no LT PLT for me...
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:11 pm

I am at 1.7m program to date. I have 133k SPG points and 300k + Amex points. If I transfer some of these before Dec 1 they'll count for lifetime plat status, correct? I will have Plat next year regardless (even if I don't hit Exp this year) so I wouldn't transfer all 300k miles... but a 200k transfer would mean that BIS flying between now and Dec 2012 would put me at enough for lifetime plat.

Am I insane for giving up hotel/membership reward points to get them to count towards lifetime plat?

What other good options are there to get a ton of points fast? Other hotel/point programs? 90 CD at some internet bank?

Thanks
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:11 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
AmericanAirlines: As has been pointed out by a number of posters here, a deep discount Economy flyer would earn the same progress towards lifetime status than a full fare First flyer, when the latter has possibly paid many times the fare paid by the former. When it comes to qualifying for regular elite status (Gold, Platinum or EXP), premium flyers are rewarded through the Elite Qualifying Points system.

I agree (like many others here) that it makes sense to not count bonus miles earned fairly cheaply from the likes of credit cards, etc. However, is it truly a sound business decision to treat premium flyers exactly the same as deep discount flyers when it comes to Lifetime Status?

This isn't a concern of most on these forums, given that the vast majority of FTers fly deep discount and try to maximize their elite status at the lowest cost. However, for the few of us that do pay premium fares consistently, it would be helpful if these comments and concerns were passed on to Maya or the relevant decision makers. The Lifetime Program may have been announced but given that it doesn't fully implement until 12/1, there may yet be time to incorporate some (positive from a business standpoint) changes.
Perhaps this years EQP promo is a preview of things to come, NO more EQM promos; the "high rollers" will also be kept happy.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
You have a few options:

1) Upgrade an existing card to the new card

2) get rid of some of the old cards now and apply soon for the new card

Course of action #2 is not a guaranteed success, but #1 should be if any of the recent promos were used by you.
I tried to change my card, was told that I couldn't 'upgrade it'

I applied for a new card and was turned down.

Last edited by ethang801; Aug 24, 2011 at 2:27 pm
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:14 pm
dc3

Delta did the same a few years ago

As many have said, this has been expected for a while. Delta did the same thing a few years back, and also grandfathered everyone. Bu with their current mileage levels to get an award ticket (140,000 miles to get to Honolulu in December vs. 75,000 on AA or UA), I would still rather fly UA or AA.

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Right. This makes the AA program about 1 million miles behind the UA program. It will be interesting to see how UA changes their program.
I disagree. UA doesn't recognize non-UA flights to count towards their lifetime counter; only UA metal flights. So if you happen to take a long ANA flight from LAX-NRT or SQ flight from NRT-SIN, it means jack on MM recognition on UA.

In contrast, AA recognizes flights like LAX-LHR on BA, or HKG-AMS on CX. Having AA count international flights on their partners to the MM counter is a big plus over UA.

1.5 lifetime for me.
I knew this day would come but was hoping it would be a couple more years so I could hit Plat. At least I made Gold.

If only they would honor my CitiBusiness Mastercard for another year I could pull it off...
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:15 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by howto
It's good that the airline lets us know beforehand.
In another (long) thread here on FT, the changes to the MM program are discussed in great (and repeated) detail. But the general consensus was that they will give 2 months notice, aa is being extra nice, they are giving us 3 months notice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.