Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, DL Gold, Starwood Gold
Hey AA -
Your note mentions that 35000 miles can be exchanged for (8) 500 mile stickers. Any chance you will allow the reverse before Dec 1?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Well, just set up a 20k transfer from Starwood to AA. Those 25k miles plus the flight to Chile next week will send me over 2MM!

Glad for the heads up!
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA 4.0 MM Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by brp
Ja, das stimmt.

Cheers.
Ausgezeichnet!

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PL, SPG G, MR G, HH G, CC G, AMEX PL
Originally Posted by 17111711
Hey AA -
Your note mentions that 35000 miles can be exchanged for (8) 500 mile stickers. Any chance you will allow the reverse before Dec 1?
Yeah, that would be nice. Being Gold I was never able to use any to actually get an upgrade

Programs: AA Plat4Life 3.9mm, UA, BA, Intergalactic Spacelines
Since I'm locked in with lifetime Platinum, I don't have this Dec. 1, 2011 "cloud" hanging over my head. Otherwise I might try buying some glitter things from Verizon for 83871 miles each.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by jcmitchell21
It would be nice for Citi to offer a special promo on the Citi Exec card to reduce the fee for the coming year.
Sure would be, but not gonna happen.

Originally Posted by jpzeller
Maybe I'm dense, but I don't understand - those rental car/hotel dollars charged will still accrue MILES, nicht wahr? The miles will simply not count toward million-mile status.

Correct?
Yuppers. But since many of us liked the "double AAdvantage of LT miles AND usuable miles", this becomes a big 'ol game changer.

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
You have a few options:

1) Upgrade an existing card to the new card
No you don't. Already called, and cannot be done - at least with my card, the World AAdvantage Platinum Elite Mastercard.

Originally Posted by crimson400
Just so I'm clear on the credit card implications, the Starwood AMEX card that transfers $1 --> 1.2 miles (in increments over 20,000) will still transfer to AA miles, they just won't count toward MM status?
Correct. Again, a game changer for many of us who counted on the miles counting. @:-)

Originally Posted by sonora

I will look into getting Mr S that new credit card, and hope the mileage offer gets extended a time or too.
Don't count on it getting extended. It won't be.

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
And for some general commentary...the Lifetime program on AA has been way too lax for years and has in my opinion rewarded the wrong kinds of folks. The churners, the serial abusers etc. Those of us who are going on 10 years EXP have really been disproportionately disadvantaged in some ways.

I appreciate the new move to reward those who truly support the backbone of AA's existence....flying on their aircraft. I reckon that of my 2.6MM miles that about 1-1.2MM are BIS.
Some would say 40% BIS LT doesn't put you in the category you think you're in. See:

Originally Posted by Jacobin777
It sounds like about 40% of your 2.6MM has been through non-flying. For me, though I'm only close to 1MM, 90%-95% of it has been via BIS so I actually support this new move by AA as it makes it a bit more "exclusive"...
I whole-heartedly agree. ^

Thanks[/QUOTE]
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Well, there goes my last remaining reason to keep my Citi AA cards.

Hitting LT Gold/Plat is no longer going to be on my radar since my AA revenue BIS miles are so minimal.

Not shocked by any means, but still sucks.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2MM, NYC-MetroCard,
just checked...as of today i am at 1,942,497 LT miles...

.....looks like I need to spend some serious money on my AAdvantage cards
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat (1MM), Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
I see this 2 ways:
1. This is good in that it adds value to anyone who has, or will have LT Gold/PLT status.
2. This is bad in that the Citi Executive card is horrendous. They want a $450 annual fee (equal to an AmEx Plat card), while providing a lower level of benefits compared to the AmEx Plat card. In addition, the APR is well over 15%, which is higher than Citi's lower tier cards. (The Plat AA Citi card I have is on a 7.9% APR for the next 9 months, and 13.2% after that...much lower than this Exec card.)

Effectively, the only benefit that the Exec card offers that a current Citi AA cardholder or AmEx Plat holder doesn't have is the Lifetime EQM and Elite EQM (limited to 10k per year). The problem is they're charging WAY too much for those two benefits.

Disclaimer: I hold both the Citi Plat AA card and the AmEx Plat card, and called Citi today to inquire about the Exec card. I was told in no uncertain terms that Citi would not work with me to make this card competitive to the Citi AA Plat card, and everyone I spoke to read from the same script. (Literally, they ran through the same words/phrases)

I'm at 1.3M and it looks like I'll earn mine the old fashioned way. I still love AA and am loyal to them, but this Citi card is a joke.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:24 pm

Programs: Charter Member Delta Diamond Medallion, Lifetime AA Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hilton & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bchandler02
So am I reading this correctly? The Exec card will function basically as the regular cards do today in the sense that all miles earned via CC will count for MM status, but that is only good through December of 2012, and then there will be absolutely no CC miles that count?
So the incentive to retain the new Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® World EliteTM MasterCard® credit card with a $450.00 annual fee after December, 2012 is what?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rajuabju
Well, there goes my last remaining reason to keep my Citi AA cards.

Hitting LT Gold/Plat is no longer going to be on my radar since my AA revenue BIS miles are so minimal.

Not shocked by any means, but still sucks.
This will get me thinking some. I am 250k from LT Platinum. I just started a full time job instead of a contractor, so the stuff goes on a corp card so no AA miles from that. I will think less of getting stuff via Shopping when I really want it fast. And wont be as concerned about dining at every idine restaurant when out of town. Only purpose then will be to accumulate as many miles as I can for whatever I want to do. Now only if they would allow a marriott transfer before Dec1 (close to 200k points available there). Maybe I will max out a miles purchase for the fun of it too. But CC's will start going away.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:27 pm

Any chance that 100 of you would like to sign up for a Starwood card under my referral link before December 1.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines
You have the opportunity to earn BIS miles by flying AA or any AAdvantage participating airline. Unlike any other airline, you also have the opportunity to earn miles towards Million Miler status through the Citi Executive Card. This is a great card with a lot of benefits which you should check out if you haven't had the chance already.
sweet.

Enjoy these VIP benefits and more for $450 ..

Im at 920K and looks like I won't be getting my 1M any time soon.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines
Keep in mind at United, only BIS miles on United count. On AA, all BIS miles on AAdvantage participant carriers count. As does the Citi Executive Card through next year. That's way behind?
To me, this is the key, and its very fair. (Its why I choose AA/OneWorld for my Asia travel in CX F over SQ F to United - AA unlike UA is so fair about counting partner flying activity for bonuses and everything). Along with the high level of transparency, and significant advance notice, I'm very happy here. Nicely done, AA. Class. ^
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by dfw_plt_aa
Absolutely, with this change AAdvantage is way behind United. If I were starting today to select a frequent flyer program and was interested in lifetime status, I would select United since it is much easier to fly 1 million miles for lifetime mid-tier on United versus needing 2 million miles on American. As an additional sweetener for United, 3 million miles gives lifetime top-tier on United, while there is no lifetime top-tier on American.
This change works pretty well for me since something like 50% of my regular BIS miles are earned on CX or codeshares operated by CX/JL rather than AA. There's certainly nothing that would turn me off, given my present situation, although it may reduce the amount I use my AAdvantage credit card.

Between AA's continuing to pull out of the Bay Area and these changes, were I starting over, rather than at 1.4MM, I'd seriously consider UA over AA. Back when I decided to concentrate on AA 11 years ago, it was by default: UA and NW had angered me off too many times and CO/DL didn't have the routes I needed.

Of course, if I still needed the particular East Coast routes I did then, AA doesn't have a direct SFO-BOS flight anymore (and the JetBlue partnership doesn't earn EQM, right?) nor is there any service into MHT anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.