Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
I am glad for this change, I think it preserves the integrity of the status levels, indicating that LT Plat will have good value going forward. I have been EXP, Plat, or Gold since 1999, and I think I've flown 1 million of my 1.9MM BIS.

Now to figure out how to delay hitting 2MM until January 1, 2012. It will be a decade at least between earning the MM 4SWUs going forward, so would love to delay the expiration date of my next batch until 2013.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Thank, Maya, for the early heads-up. We appreciate your keeping us informed.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
I tell you what....go fly on UA...but stop and take a look at what kind of program devaluations are in the works over there...they make the million miler realignment here look like child's play. If rumored changes to MP program come through as leaked at this point, then 1P on UA will be completely useless...
Time will tell but you are possibly right. However, a million miles to given level is a big difference as of now, and possibly after the changes there.

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
AmericanAirlines: As has been pointed out by a number of posters here, a deep discount Economy flyer would earn the same progress towards lifetime status than a full fare First flyer, when the latter has possibly paid many times the fare paid by the former. When it comes to qualifying for regular elite status (Gold, Platinum or EXP), premium flyers are rewarded through the Elite Qualifying Points system.
I think this would be a good idea and make it more in line with DL's program. SkyMiles includes partner flying and any MQMs as part of the million miler calculation. You could get the class-of-service bonus counted for those who purchase higher fare tickets. I don't really like AA's three-tier system of points, EQMs and segments because it doesn't reflect people who have a mix of high fare and low fare travel.

For example, when I was traveling for my employer, the travel rules specified that we had to purchase the lowest published fare, but when I was traveling for vacation perhaps I wanted to pay for a J ticket. With SkyMiles - discounting its numerous problems - I would be rewarded for such purchases. If I could wave a magic wand, I would merge EQP and EQM but have a minimum earn of 1 EQM per mile flown.

As for these changes, they don't really affect me. I didn't have hundreds of thousands of dollars stored in Bank Direct, I didn't churn Citi AA cards and I don't shop through the AA portal. I would say that EXP trumps the lifetime statuses, and most people will continue to fly AA even when they hit the lifetime goal. If not, why hit the status if you're not going to utilize it? I can understand the loss of getting 4 SWUs as frequently, but if you're hitting the MM thresholds that quickly, don't you already have a boatload of miles you can redeem for premium cabin travel?

Programs: AA P-Pro, Chase SP, SPG Gold
I could see how it bites for a lot of you, but for those of us with little to no status, it's okay with me. Not everyone on this board cares about lifetime status, it never registered with me personally and I am closer to the beginning of a career than to the end of it. I only want to be able to take my family of five somewhere for free every 125,000 or so miles.

I'll be Gold for the first time next year and that makes me happy in some small way. I will keep my Aadvantage cards (including the new Executive Card) on fire so that I can take the family somewhere far away and fun.

As long as they don't ever mess with redeemable miles and give us lots of earning choices, life is good....real good.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat (1MM), Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by JoeWoodstock
I currently wield a regular ol' Citi AAdvantage MasterCard, which I've had for over a decade. I received an offer from Citi for the new Citi Executive(SM) / AAdvantage® World Elite(TM) MasterCard® a month or so ago, but didn't pull the trigger on it because I had just renewed my AC membership in June.

Now, with the new MM plan, I'm wondering if I can upgrade my existing card to the new Citi Executive card, but have the new card cover my AC fee for next year. Seems a little far-fetched, but never hurts to ask, right?

Thanks,
--woodstock

You cannot upgrade the Citi Plat card...please see my and other's posts.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Jacobin777
If you read my other post you would have noticed I made a correction(i.e.including the fact BIS+BONUS could be indeed calculated in)..
Sorry about that. I didn't see the correction. I agree with you btw that the emphasis on BIS miles makes sense.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:42 pm

hmm...

Last edited by onlybeef42; Sep 28, 2011 at 3:45 pm
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
I for one am very disappointed in this. I've known about this perk for probably 15 years. My father crossed 1MM at least 20 years ago and 2MM 15 years ago. He stopped flying AA much about 10 years ago at just shy of 5MM. My goal had been to always pass him with my lifetime Platinum card. No way in hell I'll hit 5MM BIS.

I would think I would be a prime target of AA. Im in my low 30s, professional who now travels extensively for work (100k miles annually, virtually all of it fairly last minute domestic flying, no mileage runs whatsoever) I'm sitting on about 350k in miles and with my flying, credit card offers, and probably $75k in annual credit card spend (almost excusively reimbursed by my company), i figured I would be there within a year or two. Now I'm looking at nearly 6 1/2 years to hit lifetime gold? and probably 15 years for Platinum? Yikes, it just doesnt interest me anymore.

This gives me zero incentive to try and accrue as many miles as possible on AA. I've purposefully avoided the other airlines' deals for credit cards, bonus miles, etc, to concentrate on AA. I make sure every flight is on AA (and some make no damn sense or cost $500 more than connecting).

Today, I honestly dont see a reason to do that anymore. It's a shame and I wish AA hadnt have done this. It's a perk that really made me more loyal to them than I probably should have been. Sure i'll continue to fly AA 90% of the time, but any of the extra money AA got from marketing deals with credit cards, mortgage companies, real estate referrals, brokerage firms, rental car companies, etc is gone from me. I might as well build a portfolio of airlines with 250k miles or more through those offers to use as alternatives to AA.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:45 pm

Here's another side-effect. More crowded Admirals Club lounges.

The Citi Executive card ($450/year) includes a lot of benefits, such as priority check-in, etc. It also includes an AC membership.

So... lots of people will get the Citi Executive card so then can continue to get Lifetime miles from credit card purchase. They will also start visiting ACs, thus making increasing the AC population.

I'm not an AC member, and am wondering if I will AVOID the crowds by waiting near the departure gate instead of the AC!
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 4MM; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
AA miles devaluation?

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Also, given upcoming devaluation of AA miles used for flights....
And what incipient devaluation of AA miles are you referring to?

Thanks,
--woodstock
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat (1MM), Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Here's another side-effect. More crowded Admirals Club lounges.

The Citi Executive card ($450/year) includes a lot of benefits, such as priority check-in, etc. It also includes an AC membership.

So... lots of people will get the Citi Executive card so then can continue to get Lifetime miles from credit card purchase. They will also start visiting ACs, thus making increasing the AC population.

I'm not an AC member, and am wondering if I will AVOID the crowds by waiting near the departure gate instead of the AC!

I doubt this will have much impact as AmEx cards already offer the same benefit at the same annual fee, and considerably more other fringe benefits than the Exec card.
For people who are shopping for a good card (as opposed to those who want to take advantage of the EQM/MM perks), the Exec card isn't on the radar....and I can't see someone paying $450 just to get the miles associated with the Exec card, only to cancel in 2012.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
AmericanAirlines: As has been pointed out by a number of posters here, a deep discount Economy flyer would earn the same progress towards lifetime status than a full fare First flyer, when the latter has possibly paid many times the fare paid by the former. When it comes to qualifying for regular elite status (Gold, Platinum or EXP), premium flyers are rewarded through the Elite Qualifying Points system.

I agree (like many others here) that it makes sense to not count bonus miles earned fairly cheaply from the likes of credit cards, etc. However, is it truly a sound business decision to treat premium flyers exactly the same as deep discount flyers when it comes to Lifetime Status?

This isn't a concern of most on these forums, given that the vast majority of FTers fly deep discount and try to maximize their elite status at the lowest cost. However, for the few of us that do pay premium fares consistently, it would be helpful if these comments and concerns were passed on to Maya or the relevant decision makers. The Lifetime Program may have been announced but given that it doesn't fully implement until 12/1, there may yet be time to incorporate some (positive from a business standpoint) changes.
I strongly agree with this. I would like to see it tilted more in favor of revenue wherever any sort of status or perk is concerned.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1.2MM; Hilton HHonors Silver
My apologies if this was covered...this means that my current Citibank AA Visa Signature and AMEX cards will still give me miles, but will no longer count towards MM status? (I'm Lifetime GLD and well on my way to Lifetime PLT.)
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:58 pm

My apologies if this was covered...this means that my current Citibank AA Visa Signature and AMEX cards will still give me miles, but will no longer count towards MM status? (I'm Lifetime GLD and well on my way to Lifetime PLT.)
Exactly.

Most people don't know about the Million Miler program, as it was an unpublished benefit. (I, personally, had no clue until I got the email congratulating me on reaching 1 MM.)

Thus, for most people, the program will be unchanged except they now know there is "something" waiting for them as they cross MM threasholds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.