Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA comp interim status + challenge offer / targeted promo 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: I have received an interim status offer + challenge and am
taking advantage of this offer and will take up the challenge too
60.00%
using my interim status but won’t attempt a challenge
20.00%
ignoring this offer - it’s just not for me
15.00%
Other: please post below
5.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Status Challenge promotional (targeted) offer

Courtesy of eyi: Sign into your account and look under promotions to see if you're targeted.

Must sign up prior to travel. Ends 15 May 2019.

Courtesy of Pedro M:

“You've been selected to receive free American Airlines AAdvantage® Gold status through May 15, 2019, where you'll experience all the benefits of Gold status. Plus, elevate your experience with ten 500-mile upgrades just for registering — no strings attached.

Want to keep Gold status or earn an even higher status through January 2020?
Earn the following Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) and Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) between the date you register and May 15, 2019.

Elite status level - EQMs needed - EQDs needed

Gold 25,000 7,000 $3,000 $850

Platinum 50,000 12,500 $6,000 $1,500

Platinum Pro 75,000 20,500 $9,000 $2,400

Executive Platinum 100,000 35,000 $15,000 $5,000”

There is now second targeted promotional.
Based on reports here, it requires travel by 25 Sep 2019, and provides status through Jan 2021.
Print Wikipost

AA comp interim status + challenge offer / targeted promo 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:30 pm

Dunno if this is the spot for this bust got an offer to buy gold status for 2019 for $775. I'm obviously not doing it, but the offer is there.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by kaydee7
Dunno if this is the spot for this bust got an offer to buy gold status for 2019 for $775. I'm obviously not doing it, but the offer is there.
Actually, that's this thread:
Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2019
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by raehl311
So they just give the offer to everyone who ISN'T already flying AA.
Definitely not everyone.

I flew AA once in 2017 (SFO-MGA RT in paid F) and once in 2018 (SFO-NYC OW in Y; AS booked me there when my AS flight got canceled). I also have an award trip booked in 2019 (miles from credit cards). I didn't get the offer.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrb CO
I'm ExP, wife was Exp last year but dropped to Platinum, college son is gold.

My college daughter has only flown on mile saaver awards from me for the last several years was offered free Platinum Pro through May. Not sure what AA is thinking??
Mine too! I mean, she flies quite a bit, with us living in California, and her going to university in Scotland, but there's no way she should be platinum pro. Milesaaver is about all she flies.

She flies back next week and is happy to be selecting nice seats and going to the lounge in LAX and LHR.

Last edited by VickiSoCal; Jan 16, 2019 at 10:24 am
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: UA Gold, HHonors Diamond
Maybe I'm blind - I don't even see a promotions section when I'm logged in! I'm super not invited! hahha

Bill
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
I opted in. Unless my travel patterns change significantly, I expect to make the Gold threshold but not likely beyond that.

Originally Posted by psubill78
Maybe I'm blind - I don't even see a promotions section when I'm logged in! I'm super not invited! hahha

Bill
After you log in to the website, click My Account, then on the next page three sections appear underneath your basic info: Account Summary, Promotions, and My Wallet.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by psubill78

Bill
You have to click on "Your Account" first. Then in the top section, there are three tabs: Account Summary, Promotions, and Wallet.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Mrs Rocket got offered GOLD AA. Are there any benefits to this or is she better off continuing to strive for BA Silver which is a higher tier?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:43 pm

Even if you don’t see the offer online, You can call AA and they will tell you if any are available. Mine disappeared after 12/31 but they made the same offer to me on the phone that appeared previously.
joe_miami likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: Marriott
I was offered that Plat Pro upgrade for free as well. My husband was Plat Pro in 2018, and I traveled with him several times, but not enough to earn Gold status. Overall, though, my husband had less business travel that year (though not by much), so he dropped from Plat Pro to Plat for 2019. American immediately offers me Plat Pro for free--and offers my husband the chance to buy his Plat Pro status for something like $1800. It was pretty clear that AA saw his dip in travel and is basically using me to convince my husband to keep flying with them. Trouble is, that tactic had the opposite effect. My husband is now pissed and looking into a United status match challenge. If American had offered him the chance to keep the Plat Pro status, he'd have taken it, but there's no way he's paying $1800 to keep it when it's being offered to others (especially those like me who didn't even earn Gold status) for free. He's probably going to fly at least 75k miles this year...but it may not be with American. He feels like his loyalty means zip to the airline.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
Anyone able to match their Plat Pro or Platinum to Delta or other airlines? Trying Delta, will follow up results
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cdoobiest
Anyone able to match their Plat Pro or Platinum to Delta or other airlines? Trying Delta, will follow up results
The United 90-day status match challenge page has the following requirement:
"[Provide] A copy of your most recent mileage summary or 2019 membership card for the frequent flyer program you are matching from. It must clearly identify your current elite status, including your status expiration date."

They may deny the status match if they see that your AA status is only valid for a short time, and they are most likely aware of the current AA status challenge offer(s).

Last edited by GFrye; Jan 24, 2019 at 9:12 am
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: HHonors Dia, Priority Club Plat, Marriott, SPG, Htz Gold
How long for 500 upgrade certs to post?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
I accepted the Gold challenge & just took a Caribbean RT with my new status - worked out pretty well as I was able to spend all 10 of my 500-mile stickers to upgrade Mrs Huge and myself on a redeye flight and generally got very good MCE or exit/bulkhead seats on all other segments. Now I'm half way to fulfilling the challenge for Gold status (and a quarter of the way to Platinum) and trying to decide whether I should manufacture some flying to make it work...

My obstacle will be getting enough EQDs - the EQMs should take care of themselves (I currently have $441 of $850 EQDs needed for Gold, and 6055 of the 7000 EQMs needed). I don't have any specific travel planned and I'm probably not willing to do a pure Mileage/EQD-Run, but if I can find a decent deal on a flight to a beach I can sit on or a poker tournament series I can play in, that's a good enough excuse for me to spend $400+ on a ticket to secure Gold status through Jan 2020. Spending $1000+ to make Platinum would be a tougher pill to swallow, but if the deal/destination was right I might go for it.

Can anyone suggest ways to search for good EQD-generating flights out of a particular city (Seattle in my case)? It's my understanding that depending on fare class I might be better off looking at partner airlines, but I'm not sure which partners/flights/fares will qualify, and again I don't really know how to find good value there.

Thanks for any guidance you might provide...
-huge
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Originally Posted by huge
I accepted the Gold challenge & just took a Caribbean RT with my new status - worked out pretty well as I was able to spend all 10 of my 500-mile stickers to upgrade Mrs Huge and myself on a redeye flight and generally got very good MCE or exit/bulkhead seats on all other segments. Now I'm half way to fulfilling the challenge for Gold status (and a quarter of the way to Platinum) and trying to decide whether I should manufacture some flying to make it work...

My obstacle will be getting enough EQDs - the EQMs should take care of themselves (I currently have $441 of $850 EQDs needed for Gold, and 6055 of the 7000 EQMs needed). I don't have any specific travel planned and I'm probably not willing to do a pure Mileage/EQD-Run, but if I can find a decent deal on a flight to a beach I can sit on or a poker tournament series I can play in, that's a good enough excuse for me to spend $400+ on a ticket to secure Gold status through Jan 2020. Spending $1000+ to make Platinum would be a tougher pill to swallow, but if the deal/destination was right I might go for it.

Can anyone suggest ways to search for good EQD-generating flights out of a particular city (Seattle in my case)? It's my understanding that depending on fare class I might be better off looking at partner airlines, but I'm not sure which partners/flights/fares will qualify, and again I don't really know how to find good value there.

Thanks for any guidance you might provide...
-huge
The things i've found most helpful to generate EQD is AA Special Fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.