Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months (rolling)
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I would. They aren’t supposed to clear until T-30 but that doesn’t mean they won’t. If you are planning to arrive at T-20, they could move on to #2.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by beachfan
I would. They aren’t supposed to clear until T-30 but that doesn’t mean they won’t. If you are planning to arrive at T-20, they could move on to #2.
Shouldn't they auto-clear me and update my BP in the app? Why should they expect me to leave the club and sit at the uncomfortable gate for a half hour?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Shouldn't they auto-clear me and update my BP in the app? Why should they expect me to leave the club and sit at the uncomfortable gate for a half hour?

Theoretical - you're absolutely right

Reality - that's a recipe for #2 getting the upgrade when the gate agent can't find you. it's a long-standing gripe and issue, but I strongly advise against this even though that's "how it should be"... unless you're looking to make a scene as you board with Group 2.
beachfan likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by asf-07
Theoretical - you're absolutely right

Reality - that's a recipe for #2 getting the upgrade when the gate agent can't find you. it's a long-standing gripe and issue, but I strongly advise against this even though that's "how it should be"... unless you're looking to make a scene as you board with Group 2.
Welp, someone just checked in who is either CK or an EXP that trumps my spend and dropped me to #2 , so no use worrying about it now.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:02 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
45 min to boarding, should I got to the gate early?
As soon as a GA arrives and I’m close on the list I politely make myself known and say I’m happy to wait in case something clears.

One time the GA said “early bird gets the worm” and cleared me right away
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:03 am
Suspended

LOL, this year on upgrade eligible flights as an EXP with like $25k rolling EQD spend, I have cleared 33%, that is shameful and pathetic. None of these were transcons even. What's the point? Few upgrades and can't use the SWU.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Would like some input on a market I don't fly much - HNL-LAX.

Any material difference between odds of clearing on a Thursday or Wednesday at 2pm from HNL to LAX for a Ex Plat with under $12k EQD. If roughly equal, would prefer the extra day.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
Just curious for some general feedback here. I have to head to Bilbao, Spain in October for a conference (leaving from PHX). My dates are for the most part set. I'll have to depart PHX on October 6th and can leave Europe on either an afternoon flight on October 10th or anytime on the 11th. I've done my research looking for flight options. Basically I can fly into MAD, BCN, MUC, or FRA to get a connecting flight to BIO. Flying out is a little more open but I think I'm going to fly out of LHR on the direct flight to PHX.

When looking at options, I noticed that no SWUs were available on AA's site. Being so far out, it's not a surprise. I had an Expert Flyer subscription in the past but didn't continue it as I only do one flight to Europe per year which is the only time I really care about using an SWU. I was considering getting it to monitor it over the next few weeks before I book. Just curious, what would be the benefit? I suppose I could set up an alert on any flights I'm considering to see if C inventory pops up, but I'm sure that is a long shot so far out anyways. And at this point I'm sure most everything is J7 - I suppose I could use it to weed out any that aren't?

Right now I'm thinking of doing PHX - DFW - MAD on the outbound and LHR to PHX on the inbound. I can book PE and at least there are 37J seats versus other configurations that have 20.
So I ended up signing up for Expert Flyer to set up some alerts and low and behold a couple of my options have C availability. Of course, they are probably the two flights that work the least for me. One is an outbound which would leave me with only a 2 hour layover which I hate on international trips. I'm glad I signed up. I'll set up alerts both ways and check for a few days before I book anything.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
My flights this week:

1. DEN-ORD, A321, Saturday afternoon, cleared around 25 hours
2. ORD-DCA, A319, Saturday night, cleared at 100 hours

<VDBed off the above, rerouted through DFW, cleared DFW-DCA, 738, Saturday night, at the gate>

3. DCA-ORD, 738, Friday late-morning, cleared at 100 hours
4. ORD-DEN, 738, Friday mid-afternoon, cleared around 24 hours

Continue with a better than 80% success rate on domestic upgrades. Rolling EQD is probably around $21K or $22K (I don't really track it)
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jcain
My wife and I are booked on AA136 LAX-LHR on Friday 6/21 and waitlisted for Y>J on miles + copay. I'm Plat Pro and she's Plat. Currently J7/C0 with 28 open business seats (not that surprising 7 weeks out). I'm assuming C space probably won't open up until a couple days beforehand based on earlier responses. Anyone have experience with the Friday night LAX-LHR flights and have a guess as to our chances?
Did not end up clearing this one. Inventory was looking pretty good at J7 with 10+ open seats a few days before the flight, but dwindled down to J2 or so (don't remember exactly) the day before. No EF alert for C space, and I specifically checked around T-36. We ended up #11/12 out of 17 on the airport list and I have ~$16K trailing EQD so would think we were close to or at the top of the Platinum Pros. I only think 1 and 2 ended up clearing.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Admirals Club
Update on flight upgrades

Originally Posted by onanisland
Good morning.

I have lurked on FT for a very long time. Many threads have been helpful to me. This one particularly so.

I thought I would let y’all follow along. I’m headed CLT-STT on Thursday AM. It’s currently sitting at J7 C0. I have requested upgrades with miles. I’m a lowly Gold Status. Coming up on 72 hours in a few. I didn’t see any other STT posts.

I will keep you posted.
Afternoon y’all.

One of us us could have upgraded CLT to STT at the gate.
STT to CLT we both upgraded at the gate.

Thanks for the help!
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by jcain
Did not end up clearing this one. Inventory was looking pretty good at J7 with 10+ open seats a few days before the flight, but dwindled down to J2 or so (don't remember exactly) the day before. No EF alert for C space, and I specifically checked around T-36. We ended up #11/12 out of 17 on the airport list and I have ~$16K trailing EQD so would think we were close to or at the top of the Platinum Pros. I only think 1 and 2 ended up clearing.
Did another flight get cancelled where people were rebooked on your flight?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
AA 20 8/24 - DFW-LHR - SWU Upgrade Confirmed - Showed C4 on EF
AA 81 9/7 - LHR-DFW - Miles+Copay Confirmed - Showed C2 on EF
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
First time trying to use SWU's, and it was a no go. Tried for DFW-HKG on June 12, and the return on June 30 - didn't get either. Have an upcoming trip to London for work, guess I'll try again on for that! Anyone want to run some EF searches for me?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: Independent
I am going to be flying MIA to JFK on the 5th. I'm Executive Platinum. The flight shows C3 on Expert Flyer, but I still havn't gotten an upgrade. Do they normally wait this late to process upgrades?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.