Empty First Class Seats

Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I usually put myself on UG lists for most flights. The ones where I decline to do so are typically those which are a nose over the threshold for an additional sticker - TPA-CLT at 505 miles is one of those.
Ugh, I hate those. I had one recently somewhere between 500 and 550... I didn't request the upgrade because I have a dwindling supply of stickers and didn't find the flight long enough to be worth it. The flight was packed and I was hoping for a cabin roll but no dice. The flight did go out with empty F seats even after the GA moved up employees and even a military member in uniform. I certainly don't begrudge those folks a free upgrade but it's weird that if the flight was <10% shorter AA would have also upgraded me. Oh well...
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Hyatt Globalist | Marriott Platinum Elite | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred Plus
My last two flights last week both went out empty F Cabin, even after employees were moved to the front. The seat next to me was empty coming into DFW.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by wetrat0
Ugh, I hate those. I had one recently somewhere between 500 and 550... I didn't request the upgrade because I have a dwindling supply of stickers and didn't find the flight long enough to be worth it. The flight was packed and I was hoping for a cabin roll but no dice. The flight did go out with empty F seats even after the GA moved up employees and even a military member in uniform. I certainly don't begrudge those folks a free upgrade but it's weird that if the flight was <10% shorter AA would have also upgraded me. Oh well...
I would tend to think that GAs will op up any commuters and employees before PLTs or GLDs.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I would tend to think that GAs will op up any commuters and employees before PLTs or GLDs.
+1
Flew #2683 SFO-DFW 11/28-Used a SWU to upgrade. Flight left with 4 crew in uniform in F, and and an empty F seat.

(SARCASM OM) I am sooooooooooooooooooooo glad I burned a mostly worthless SWU.) SARCASM OFF

Does anyone on this board think someone from AA "might" have let me know I could have still gotten the upgrade as EXP, without using SWU?.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:19 pm
Suspended

deleted

Last edited by JonNYC; Nov 30, 2018 at 6:25 pm
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
+1
Flew #2683 SFO-DFW 11/28-Used a SWU to upgrade. Flight left with 4 crew in uniform in F, and and an empty F seat.

(SARCASM OM) I am sooooooooooooooooooooo glad I burned a mostly worthless SWU.) SARCASM OFF

Does anyone on this board think someone from AA "might" have let me know I could have still gotten the upgrade as EXP, without using SWU?.
If you have a high EQD it's probably to clear as an EXP but at least you put your SWU to good use.

Did you even show up on the upgrade list? Did your SWU clear at booking?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
+1

why did you request to use a swu on a flight like this? In most cases, if a swu will clear on a domestic flight, an exp upgrade will also clear.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
why did you request to use a swu on a flight like this? In most cases, if a swu will clear on a domestic flight, an exp upgrade will also clear.
I take your point. Wanted a "big' seat to sleep after spending day with mom.
enviroian likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
deleted
I take your point.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ACSBill
Like you Often1, I wonder what all of these people that complain about a for-profit business actually charging money for a product do for a living. I'm guessing whatever business they are in, they do not freely give away their product. If you do run your business that way, please let me know and I will take 3 of w/e it is you sell. For free of course. Delivered. You pay postage as well.
My name is Ed Bastian and I give all my elites free upgrades!
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by SJWarrior

I was surprised too. Didn’t feel like starting anything, so I said nothing. But when they served the meal they skipped him.

Also so on next flight I sat next to a FA and she said it happens more than she would like. She said they say somthing to the person but don’t really push the issue:

As I said no one was on the upgrade list by the time I got the the airport.

I have never seen this happen on UA, but then again UA comps elites for UGs and almost always fills the domestic F cabin. However, when an E- passenger tries to auto-upgrade themselves to E+, the FA simply brings over the payment device and asks for the miscreants credit card . That generally produces an auto downgrade back to the original seat.
("I am surprised that AA FAs don't do the same thing).
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by radonc1
I have never seen this happen on UA, but then again UA comps elites for UGs and almost always fills the domestic F cabin. However, when an E- passenger tries to auto-upgrade themselves to E+, the FA simply brings over the payment device and asks for the miscreants credit card . That generally produces an auto downgrade back to the original seat.
("I am surprised that AA FAs don't do the same thing).
I would have liked seeing that. Yes when I do fly UA all the seats up front are full. As far as I can tell. I’m up front a lot at AA but not very often UA.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
+1

Just wondering...when did your upgrade clear?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by chicago747
Just wondering...when did your upgrade clear?
23 hours ahead
Old Dec 2, 2018, 3:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Back when I was Platinum, I requested an upgrade on SFO-PHX.

Number 2 on the list for 2 seats.

They didn't upgrade anyone due to weight and balance. Never heard of that on a 320, but fine.

While the door was still open, the captain made an announcement that he needed everyone in their assigned seats for takeoff, but you were free to move after. I asked a FA if they could do the upgrades once we were airborne. She went to talk to the captain and GA.

New announcement: "Actually, we're going to need you in your assigned seats for the duration of the flight."

They gave me the first class snack basket and free drinks, so it wasn't horrible. But that was my first and last year with status on AA. It's one thing to be 10th for 1 seat. It's quite another to skip over upgrades for dubious reasons (the guy beside me in the bulkhead had his seat assigned at the gate, so I really don't buy the W&B explanation - if there was too much weight at the front to move me up 4 rows, they'd give out rear seats at the gate, not front-row seats).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.