FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Empty First Class Seats (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1939561-empty-first-class-seats.html)

portlandref09 Nov 8, 2018 9:02 am

Empty First Class Seats

Good Morning All,
If after the upgrade list has been exhausted and there are still empty seats in first class, will American typically upgrade elite members based on proper ranking order without having to burn 500 mile upgrades or will they simply let the flight go out with empty seats in F?

asf-07 Nov 8, 2018 9:04 am

They'll fill in any non-revs, but they aren't going to roll up economy passengers (without using upgrade instruments) unless economy is oversold.

ComplexAnalysis Nov 8, 2018 9:04 am

F will go out with empty seats

fotographer Nov 8, 2018 9:05 am

sorry... no...

portlandref09 Nov 8, 2018 9:09 am

Indeed interesting. Thanks all, much appreciated!

B

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Nov 8, 2018 9:11 am

If AA upgraded PLTs and GLDs into empty F seats there would be far less incentive to buy stickers at $40 per 500 miles.

Dallas49er Nov 8, 2018 9:15 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 30407945)
If AA upgraded PLTs and GLDs into empty F seats there would be far less incentive to buy stickers at $40 per 500 miles.

It's all about the $ at AA.

cova Nov 8, 2018 9:23 am

I had been on domestic flights with empty F seats (but not lately). Best time to find a flight with empty F seats is last flight on a Saturday night. You might also get one on an RJ that has 12 F seats at off peak times.

With most flights full, non-rev'ers know the flights that are not going to be full (in coach or F) so they choose these flights.

portlandref09 Nov 8, 2018 9:30 am

Originally Posted by cova (Post 30407998)
I had been on domestic flights with empty F seats (but not lately). Best time to find a flight with empty F seats is last flight on a Saturday night. You might also get one on an RJ that has 12 F seats at off peak times.

With most flights full, non-rev'ers know the flights that are not going to be full (in coach or F) so they choose these flights.

Makes since. My two home airports (virtually the same distance from each other) have RJ aircraft and I am usually consistently upgraded with the 500 mile complimentary into DFW. When leaving JAX heading home on a Friday, its hit or miss. Didn't want to end up burning or buying stickers if I didn't necessary need to but it looks like that's want AA wants you to, understandably so...

freeagent Nov 8, 2018 9:35 am

If there are empty seats in First at check in and the upgrade list has been cleared, there will be an option to buy an upgrade at check in.

enviroian Nov 8, 2018 9:41 am

cash is king for cheapo-Parker. Remember, he'll never lose money again.

Often1 Nov 8, 2018 9:43 am

Originally Posted by freeagent (Post 30408041)
If there are empty seats in First at check in and the upgrade list has been cleared, there will be an option to buy an upgrade at check in.

This.

The last sensible thing to do is to sell UG's via sticker and then do them for free for the same people.

OPUP's to prevent an overbooked Y cabin from oversell are a different story, but that's the case on international flights where there are no freebies either.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Nov 8, 2018 9:59 am

Originally Posted by freeagent (Post 30408041)

And this is for non elites as well. I believe typically it will be higher than $40 per 500 miles. Years back I remember LUS selling upgrades at the gate.

Often1 Nov 8, 2018 10:00 am

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 30408067)
cash is king for cheapo-Parker. Remember, he'll never lose money again.

It's a for-profit business run for the benefit of its shareholders. Bashing the CEO by name is a popular FT thing, but not in the real world, where generating revenue is a good thing.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Nov 8, 2018 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 30408153)
It's a for-profit business run for the benefit of its shareholders. Bashing the CEO by name is a popular FT thing, but not in the real world, where generating revenue is a good thing.

Not to mention the use of stickers for GLDs and PLTs came from the LAA side of the business, or pre-Parker.