Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Empty First Class Seats

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2018, 5:20 pm

I have seen on a RIC to DFW flight (last year) after no one left on the upgrade list, GA upgraded a very young couple that was just married and when an active service member boarded early, they immediately gave him the last F seat. Wondefrul gesture to build brand loyalty.

I also had the "free" upgrade but they took stickers out and I had to complain to get them back.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Dmd; AA Gld
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
It's all about the $ at AA.
Originally Posted by enviroian
cash is king for cheapo-Parker. Remember, he'll never lose money again.
Originally Posted by Often1
It's a for-profit business run for the benefit of its shareholders. Bashing the CEO by name is a popular FT thing, but not in the real world, where generating revenue is a good thing.
Like you Often1, I wonder what all of these people that complain about a for-profit business actually charging money for a product do for a living. I'm guessing whatever business they are in, they do not freely give away their product. If you do run your business that way, please let me know and I will take 3 of w/e it is you sell. For free of course. Delivered. You pay postage as well.
JonNYC, Andriyko, drewp123 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:08 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Sometimes being "nice" can build loyalty directly and/or through word of mouth.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
My recent DFW-MKE 6:55am departure went out 11/16.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by cova
This is the sensible way that AA does it. Unlike United, which will sell upgrades at check in at constantly changing low prices (FT term is TODs - Tens of Dollars), when there is a long list on the upgrade list.
United used to have stickers -- e-500s. Now United has theoretically unlimited free upgrades, which rarely rarely happen. I wish United went back to the sticker system like American has.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
If AA upgraded PLTs and GLDs into empty F seats there would be far less incentive to buy stickers at $40 per 500 miles.
Are there any PLTs or GLDs that actually buy stickers? I had no idea!
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by AlanInDC
United used to have stickers -- e-500s. Now United has theoretically unlimited free upgrades, which rarely rarely happen. I wish United went back to the sticker system like American has.

I actually like the sticker system. As an AA PLT member from Ohio, I've gotten the vast number of my flights upgraded. I even got a rare award upgrade with a non-elite companion when economy was oversold -- got to the gate and the agent had already upgraded me.

Compare that with flying on Delta. For some reason just about everyone in SW Ohio is still a loyal Delta flyer, which means Diamond or Medallion status is necessary for free upgrades. Was just on a flight back to CVG two weeks ago and 2/3rds of the plane must have been on the upgrade list.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by ACSBill
Like you Often1, I wonder what all of these people that complain about a for-profit business actually charging money for a product do for a living. I'm guessing whatever business they are in, they do not freely give away their product. If you do run your business that way, please let me know and I will take 3 of w/e it is you sell. For free of course. Delivered. You pay postage as well.
FYI-I have spent 40+ years in Financial Sales. 100% Commission. In my world clients are KING. They are the key to my success and income.

In today's airline industry, clients/customers/passengers are nothing more than self loading cargo. I understand for profit, and embrace it. But, coming from a client centric industry, I scratch my head when I look at the airline industry.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Nov 8, 2018 at 10:20 pm
Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
I recently went out of ORD, 1st on the list, guy next to me #2, and one seat in F went empty. I asked the FA politely about the seat, but he played dumb. Should have escalated it, but didn’t want to make a scene. In hindsight wish I did.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Hyatt Globalist | Marriott Platinum Elite | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred Plus
My second leg just cleared. RJ Aircraft, CRJ-700 back home. 500 Mile Comp upgrade. Flight fairly empty though, which is normal for my area on that flight. Still waiting on my JAX-DFW flight. 3 open seats according to ET, wish I could see the upgrade list prior to T-4.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:27 am

I once got upgraded to F when there were only 3 people on the flight. Everyone on that flight was upgraded. It was a short flight so no food
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
About a month ago I flew BWI/MIA with 2 rev paxs in F (738) then a couple of other airline employees commuting brought up to F. I prefer the sticker system as it enables lower levels to upgrade more (some flyers will only use earned stickers) and having an occasional F empty seat next to me.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:50 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I usually put myself on UG lists for most flights. The ones where I decline to do so are typically those which are a nose over the threshold for an additional sticker - TPA-CLT at 505 miles is one of those.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: AA-EXP
This is a slightly different take on this topic, but last week on a CR9 out of CLT there were 13 on the upgrade list, but 2 seats went out empty. Everything was on time, so no reason for the GA to not clear the top ones. There were no signs on the seats saying they were out of order or crew only. Assuming it was laziness.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I usually put myself on UG lists for most flights. The ones where I decline to do so are typically those which are a nose over the threshold for an additional sticker - TPA-CLT at 505 miles is one of those.
I think it's 507 or 508, actually. Really pissed me off when AA did away with the "close-enough" rule. I used to be like you on that, but now I've accumulated enough certs with not enough other chances to use them that I try to use them there too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.