Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Empty First Class Seats

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I once had a situation where I got upgraded without asking, then found they had taken stickers from my account. They replaced them. Another time they were oversold in Y but undersold in F, so as a lowly gold I got a complimentary opup (domestic). In the LUS days they would backfill all the elites but still go out with F not full if there weren't enough elites on the flight.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
in the pre-Parker era, I had it happen twice on int'l fights, but I wouldn't count on it happening now.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I was OPUP in May as a Plat (3 month promotion with my employer), when they needed my Y seat for a family to be able to sit together. I just smiled and thanked the GA. She smiled back and thanked me for my business. I don't expect this to happen again for at least another decade.
drewp123 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Often1
It's a for-profit business run for the benefit of its shareholders. Bashing the CEO by name is a popular FT thing, but not in the real world, where generating revenue is a good thing.
I know that I was making a joke.

Jeez uptight folks!
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by freeagent
If there are empty seats in First at check in and the upgrade list has been cleared, there will be an option to buy an upgrade at check in.
This is the sensible way that AA does it. Unlike United, which will sell upgrades at check in at constantly changing low prices (FT term is TODs - Tens of Dollars), when there is a long list on the upgrade list.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
I flew a non-premium transcon this weekend (upgraded at booking using 15K + 75) and there were two empty seats, so I guess I would have cleared with 500s anyway. Who knew.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I was op-upped pretty often when I was Gold, but you won't be upgraded if the flight isn't overbooked.
Daze likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 4MM; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
The flight will go out with empty first class seats. I've flown a flight (obviously, over a decade ago) with 15 empty first class seats and my butt in the 16th. Needless to say, I got amazing service and had wonderful conversations with all of the FAs on the plane.

--woodstock
Old Nov 8, 2018, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by JoeWoodstock
The flight will go out with empty first class seats. I've flown a flight (obviously, over a decade ago) with 15 empty first class seats and my butt in the 16th. Needless to say, I got amazing service and had wonderful conversations with all of the FAs on the plane.

--woodstock
Years back I was flying a late night CLT/MIA flight and the only one in F. A bunch of young guys offered the F FA cash $$ to sit in F. She politely declined but could have made a little bit of money.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by wetrat0
I flew a non-premium transcon this weekend (upgraded at booking using 15K + 75) and there were two empty seats, so I guess I would have cleared with 500s anyway. Who knew.
I never knew you had that option at booking. Good to know. ^
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by pdac1975
I never knew you had that option at booking. Good to know. ^
Yes you can upgrade with a combination of cash and miles and will clear before any complimentary upgrades. I assume miles/co pay clear like elite upgrades-status and then rolling 12 month spend. IIRC it includes up to three segments. A good deal for transcons when you might not want to pay the upgrade lottery, particularly if you aren't EXP. I'm debating for a SFO/PHX/MIA trip I have in January.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:27 pm

Non revs will be put in First. You will not be upgraded.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
MCO-PHL went out 9/16 in F the other morning.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cova
I had been on domestic flights with empty F seats (but not lately). Best time to find a flight with empty F seats is last flight on a Saturday night. You might also get one on an RJ that has 12 F seats at off peak times.

With most flights full, non-rev'ers know the flights that are not going to be full (in coach or F) so they choose these flights.
As a person who flies non-rev occasionally, the flights that have lots of empty F seats are the ones I try to get on(as you pointed out). But I have seen a couple off peak flights that went out with really light loads in F.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by portlandref09
Good Morning All,
If after the upgrade list has been exhausted and there are still empty seats in first class, will American typically upgrade elite members based on proper ranking order without having to burn 500 mile upgrades or will they simply let the flight go out with empty seats in F?
The flight will go out with empty F seats. This actually used to be very common. It still probably is on a few routes, especially at certain off-peak times. Remember that AA sends two-class RJs with a pretty good F/Y ratio to places like Moline, Illinois and Grand Island, Nebraska.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.