Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status

AA generally offers members reasonably close to requalifying for status near the end of the year the option to buy back their existing status, or on occasion to buy up to the next highest status tier.

These offers are generally made by email to AAdvantage members beginning some time in November.

If you have not received an offer or would like to see your offer (if any), you can see it by visiting https://elite.aa.com

If you haven’t flown sufficiently, you’ll probably sign in and see

No offers available

Thanks for visiting. Our records show that you’re not eligible to receive an fifer at this time. If you need more information about your account, visit aa.com/youraccount
Please peruse this thread to see offers reported by members.
Print Wikipost

Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2019

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite (Lifetime Platinum)
I am currently Platinum, and got my offer to renew Platinum for $855.

As we stand, I am $365 short on EQD and 4214 short on EQM, but I have an upcoming trip already booked that will push me just over on both, so obviously will not be taking the offer.
dickinson likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I've flown two segments on AA this year (have shifted the bulk of my travel my travel over to Delta because I live in NYC). Got a buy-up offer to Gold for $799. Not going to take it (no point, really). Not sure if the data point is useful, but there it is.
aztimm and atbPy like this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ysolde
I've flown two segments on AA this year (have shifted the bulk of my travel my travel over to Delta because I live in NYC). Got a buy-up offer to Gold for $799. Not going to take it (no point, really). Not sure if the data point is useful, but there it is.
That’s crazy and makes me mad. I’m currently Gold and have flown a ton domestically on AA this year but on cheap fares so my EQDs at the moment are low (like $1100). My offer right now is $799 for Gold also.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Mrs. Deac83, current Plat, just short of gold $, over on EQM. Offer was $571 for Gold, $1,545 for Plat. She'll be over the Gold level after this week, so we'll see if they update.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
When I posted the OP, I didn't have an offer, but I do now.

YTD I've done: $10,089 EQD, 86,925 EQM and 38.5 EQS.

My buy up offer to Executive Platinum is $2,645. However, I'll be hitting EP through flying by the end of the year.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by aztimm
I'm at just shy of $12k spend (my Barclay should hit any day bringing that to $15k), and 82k miles...and haven't gotten an offer at all to renew EXP.
I have a trip in a few weeks where I'll meet it.

So don't count on anything.
In the past, you needed to reach 85k EQM to receive an EXP offer.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
I am Plat and am 5325 EQM /1626 EQD short of earning Plat again. My offer is $1445, which actually doesn't sound ridiculous given the EQD story. All I have left is a short trip for 1k EQM and 300 EQD, so an MR for less than the offer is would be difficult to find.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
16K EQD, but 919 EQM short of PPro - $1,145 offer

Already have an international segment booked that will get me to EXP.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
I am Plat and am 5325 EQM /1626 EQD short of earning Plat again. My offer is $1445, which actually doesn't sound ridiculous given the EQD story. All I have left is a short trip for 1k EQM and 300 EQD, so an MR for less than the offer is would be difficult to find.
I think this is the first time I've seen an offer that requires you to pay LESS than the EQD needed for the tier.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Still no offer

I'm about 11K EQM and 1.2K EQD short of plat pro, and will get them on a booked trip, and wouldn't pay the (probably excessive) price for EP anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Interestingly, last year I had only about 15K EQM and I don't know how many EQD, got a gold offer for $699 and took it; this year I've obviously traveled a lot more.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
I think this is the first time I've seen an offer that requires you to pay LESS than the EQD needed for the tier.
Agreed. I rechecked the offer, and redid the math repeatedly, including with calculator, to be sure. And those are the numbers I keep getting.

For what it's worth, I don't think I'll take it. Going forward, (virtually) all my travel will be Biz, and almost all international, and I just don't see anywhere enough benefit to Plat over Gold in that situation.
deeruck and TravelLawyer like this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
16K EQD, but 919 EQM short of PPro - $1,145 offer

Already have an international segment booked that will get me to EXP.
I am just got $3K EQD from Barclays so a hair below 12K EQD and 73K EQM and my offer of $1145 did not change. But more flying later this year should get me to EXP.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I hit the EQD for plat pro and I'm 4700eqm away. My offer is $995 with no plans to fly anymore. Trying to decide whether the buyup is worth it or I should just take a daytrip somewhere
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by chenalex
I hit the EQD for plat pro and I'm 4700eqm away. My offer is $995 with no plans to fly anymore. Trying to decide whether the buyup is worth it or I should just take a daytrip somewhere
A 4900 mi LAX-NYC RT can be done for as little as $250. I'd take it.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43
Still no offer

I'm about 11K EQM and 1.2K EQD short of plat pro, and will get them on a booked trip, and wouldn't pay the (probably excessive) price for EP anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Interestingly, last year I had only about 15K EQM and I don't know how many EQD, got a gold offer for $699 and took it; this year I've obviously traveled a lot more.
i did a challenge for Gold last year, have made Gold again, sitting 100 EQD away but around 14K EQM away. I also have no offer, not surprised as I do recall you couldn’t do back to back exceptions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.