Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"Economy Web Special" Award (dynamic price, fewer miles, more restrictions Oct 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Economy Web Special" Award (dynamic price, fewer miles, more restrictions Oct 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
NYC-BOS appears to have a lot of 5k web special availability, even close in when cash fares are $300+.

Right now 5k miles for the late night JFK-BOS A321T, with an almost guaranteed upgrade to F if EXP, for fewer points than Amtrak (on some days) is a nice deal to ease the pain of 100k “specials” for economy to Europe.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: BA GfL
Are those close-in web specials (or even not-so-close-in) always accompanied by high dollar fees along with the low miles price? I have bought a couple of these in the last two months, both to attend funerals. I was charged the mileage price plus $85. Not sure if that is a standard thing for AA—I don’t think I’ve ever had to buy tickets this last-minute before—or if it was part of the web special deal.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by travelmad478
Are those close-in web specials (or even not-so-close-in) always accompanied by high dollar fees along with the low miles price? I have bought a couple of these in the last two months, both to attend funerals. I was charged the mileage price plus $85. Not sure if that is a standard thing for AA—I don’t think I’ve ever had to buy tickets this last-minute before—or if it was part of the web special deal.
AA has a close in award booking fee of $75 which gets added to the normal ~$10 of taxes. I believe the close in fee applies for itineraries booked less than 21 days in advance.
travelmad478 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:17 am

Thanks, I thought it must be something like this but wasn’t sure. One ticket was bought the day before the flight, the other about 8 days before, and both incurred the fee. Now I know why. Even with the $85 charge it was still a great deal vs. a cash ticket.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: Marriott, American, Delta, United
Originally Posted by khill01
<div style="text-align:left;">On the AA website last week there was a new category of limited reduced/restricted award rewards called ‘Web Specials. Now they don’t appear on the web site at all when I check. Anyone know what happened with these?</div>
<br />Yes, I also noticed some really great fares on routes I use with the new category but wasn't able to commit to flight times, so I couldn't book and now I'm not seeing them. As a matter of fact, last week the awards were much higher than normal, so IDK if there was a temporary glitch while they removed the "Web special" category. Glad someone else noticed it as well. I hope they come back...<br />
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:01 am
HGH

Originally Posted by khill01
On the AA website last week there was a new category of limited reduced/restricted award rewards called ‘Web Specials. Now they don’t appear on the web site at all when I check. Anyone know what happened with these?
Are you using the new booking site? I see a lot of web specials, but they are listed under the Main Cabin column, not their own column. When I select that, I get a pop up warning about the web special limitations.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmad478
Originally Posted by MathMusic
AA has a close in award booking fee of $75 which gets added to the normal ~$10 of taxes. I believe the close in fee applies for itineraries booked less than 21 days in advance.
FYI- $75 close-in ticketing fee — American charges $75 per ticket when you book that travel within 21 days of departure, but that's often when some of the best award space appears. Fortunately this fee is waived when you redeem miles from an account with any elite status (Gold or higher)
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by MathMusic
Originally Posted by HGH
Are you using the new booking site? I see a lot of web specials, but they are listed under the Main Cabin column, not their own column. When I select that, I get a pop up warning about the web special limitations.
I did not realize they have a new booking site? I think I'm on the same site as a couple weeks ago.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:38 am

Has anyone booked the Economy Web special to a reduced mileage city with the credit card? There were flights as low as 6000 miles to reduced mileage cities, eligible for 3750 mileage award reduction. I did not book because my dates were not set and unfortunately I'm no longer seeing web specials on that route.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mland0821
Has anyone booked the Economy Web special to a reduced mileage city with the credit card? There were flights as low as 6000 miles to reduced mileage cities, eligible for 3750 mileage award reduction. I did not book because my dates were not set and unfortunately I'm no longer seeing web specials on that route.
Economy Web Special awards do not get the reduced-mileage-award discount. That discount is limited to MileSAAver awards.
mland0821 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:44 pm

FYI- $75 close-in ticketing fee — American charges $75 per ticket when you book that travel within 21 days of departure, but that's often when some of the best award space appears. Fortunately this fee is waived when you redeem miles from an account with any elite status (Gold or higher)
Sadly my OW Emerald (equivalent to EXP) status is with BA, not AA. If that counts, let me know, because I would be thrilled.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
Redeemed miles for a ticket from DFW to SFO last weekend. Outbound was an economy web special award. Only one flight was available at that level. On day of travel checked to see if could use same day flight change feature and was able to confirm and change to a later flight on-line. I am EP.

Was on the upgrade list for the flight but did not clear. Cleared at 100 hours for return flight.

Last edited by FlyForFun; Aug 16, 2019 at 5:19 pm
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Economy Web Special awards do not get the reduced-mileage-award discount. That discount is limited to MileSAAver awards.
Thanks for the quick response-good to know! Makes an 8750 reduced MileSAAver award a much better option for me, with fliexibility to change.
Q - if I book a MileSAAver w/reduced mileage for 17500, then need to change it to the following month (which is not listed) but does have 25k awards, would they change it or would I have to move it to a month that is listed on the reduced mileage list?

Do you know if a "MileSAAver" of only 7500 for a short flight from DFW to a reduced mileage city (COU) is eligible for 3750 mileage reduction? TIA.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Thanks for the quick response-good to know! Makes an 8750 reduced MileSAAver award a much better option for me, with fliexibility to change.
Q - if I book a MileSAAver w/reduced mileage for 17500, then need to change it to the following month (which is not listed) but does have 25k awards, would they change it or would I have to move it to a month that is listed on the reduced mileage list?

Do you know if a "MileSAAver" of only 7500 for a short flight from DFW to a reduced mileage city (COU) is eligible for 3750 mileage reduction? TIA.
I don't know the answer to your first question, but I suspect that you would only be able to change to a date in a month when the reduced-mileage-award is offered to your destination.

As to your second question, review "Step 1" of the reduced-mileage-award landing page:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...dmileageawards
mland0821 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:22 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by guv1976
I don't know the answer to your first question, but I suspect that you would only be able to change to a date in a month when the reduced-mileage-award is offered to your destination.

As to your second question, review "Step 1" of the reduced-mileage-award landing page:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...dmileageawards
FYI-I thought I would share T&Cs re:reduced mileage booking restrictions-I was unaware that even though you have a year to rebook award flights, the reduced mileage award flights need to be taken the same quarter as booking. Hence, if you do not fly within that quarter, you have to pay the mileage reinstatement fee to put the miles back into the account, even if it is to book another reduced mileage award.
PS-I also learned that if you can wait a year, until right before expiration to reinstate miles to your account- it is $150 for first & $25 thereafter, regardless of different itineraries, passengers, dates, etc. So if you don't need the miles before one year is up, you might save fees if you have several awards to reinstate.
  • Awards may be booked effective August 1, 2019 – September 30, 2019
  • Awards are valid for travel August 1, 2019 – November 30, 2019
  • Awards must be claimed by September 30, 2019

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.