Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"Economy Web Special" Award (dynamic price, fewer miles, more restrictions Oct 2018)

"Economy Web Special" Award (dynamic price, fewer miles, more restrictions Oct 2018)

Old Oct 30, 18, 12:15 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Live: DCA; Work: Everywhere; Play: LAS/AUA/MIA/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium/LTP (+UA Silver), National Exec Elite, mlife Noir
Posts: 4,532
"Economy Web Special" Award (dynamic price, fewer miles, more restrictions Oct 2018)

I haven't seen anything on here about this. I was looking at AA.com and saw this text here:

Economy Web Special awards
Economy Web Special awards are available exclusively on aa.com and may be offered on select flights and dates for fewer miles than either the MileSAAver or AAnytime award level. Travel is in the Main Cabin, and mileage levels vary by date and flight. When available, youíll see the applicable award level while booking your trip. Tickets that include an Economy Web Special award donít allow changes and, while you can cancel and reinstate your miles, fees may apply.
I then googled "Economy Web Special" and found this article on The Points Guy: https://thepointsguy.com/news/aa-eco...ts-5000-miles/

Evidently AA is offering certain sub-500-mile routes at 5,000 miles one way instead of 7,500 miles. Doesn't look like it will impact me any, since the only routes it applies to for now are DFW-ICT/CRP/BRO/MFE, PHX-LGB, and CLT-MLB. But thought it was worth posting here.

Unfortunately, it looks like AA has messed up the award map tool with this update. The award map now shows tons of phantom 5,000-mile availability, rendering the tool essentially useless:

This is a shame because the award map used to be a reliable way to find Saver availability to reduced-mileage destinations in order to book tickets at the 8750-mile rate.

Last edited by platbrownguy; Oct 30, 18 at 1:17 am Reason: award map
platbrownguy is offline  
Old Oct 30, 18, 4:26 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: CLT
Programs: AA
Posts: 103
Looks like the beginning of varriable award pricing in either direction to me... How much of this "expanded" inventory will again be hidden from partners?

Last edited by firemandan9; Oct 30, 18 at 6:36 am
firemandan9 is offline  
Old Nov 17, 18, 10:57 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SNA
Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
Posts: 964
Can EXPs cancel and redeposit these new, more restrictive awards without penalty?
ralphs is offline  
Old Nov 18, 18, 9:03 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Posts: 331
Originally Posted by ralphs View Post
Can EXPs cancel and redeposit these new, more restrictive awards without penalty?
The TPG article says EXPs can. Never tried it myself.
lightbulbs is offline  
Old Dec 21, 18, 2:45 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 144
I was looking at award space from the US to Brazil and was surprised to see GIG at half the price.



The answer is probably no, but it doesn't hurt to ask: does anyone know if it's possible to add segments within the same destination region once one of these is placed on hold?


POAflyer is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 1:43 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 7,118
Looking at RDU-LHR for a few dates this year I see these "Economy Web Specials" all over the place now. For a random date in June the sAAver price is 30k, but depending on the flight selected the Economy Web Special prices as 28k/29k/31k/32.5k/33k/37k/39k/40k etc. etc.

Better than 110k AAnytime but you can see exactly where this is headed, variable award pricing here we come. Interestingly they all carry a booking code 'Y' just like AAnytime.

The good news is that for a number of dates I was looking at in June for example the Economy Web Special had options for 20-25k which is a good savings over the usual 30k for sAAver. And since it books into Y they are essentially not capacity controlled a la AAnytime space (as long as Y is available, at least it seems at the moment).

Mods should probably adjust the thread title as this is definitely not just for sub-500 mile routes anymore.


KBRDU likes this.
JJeffrey is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 5:12 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Live: DCA; Work: Everywhere; Play: LAS/AUA/MIA/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium/LTP (+UA Silver), National Exec Elite, mlife Noir
Posts: 4,532
Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
Looking at RDU-LHR for a few dates this year I see these "Economy Web Specials" all over the place now. For a random date in June the sAAver price is 30k, but depending on the flight selected the Economy Web Special prices as 28k/29k/31k/32.5k/33k/37k/39k/40k etc. etc.

Better than 110k AAnytime but you can see exactly where this is headed, variable award pricing here we come. Interestingly they all carry a booking code 'Y' just like AAnytime.

The good news is that for a number of dates I was looking at in June for example the Economy Web Special had options for 20-25k which is a good savings over the usual 30k for sAAver. And since it books into Y they are essentially not capacity controlled a la AAnytime space (as long as Y is available, at least it seems at the moment).

Mods should probably adjust the thread title as this is definitely not just for sub-500 mile routes anymore.
This is potentially a really good thing -- it doesn't appear that this is tied to dollar cost of ticket. So long as availability is tied to anything else at all, there may be opportunity for value here.

This 33,000mi RDU-LHR is a nonstop one way that would otherwise cost $3k. Maybe it won't be available on shorter notice but still an excellent way to redeem for a nonstop one way TATL if it's not ordinarily available at saver rates or requires extra married segments etc.
platbrownguy is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 8:00 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Posts: 1,738
Really curious whether the no redeposit fee for exp applies to this or not. A flight Iím looking to book actually has some decent rates but I was only going to book if I had the potential to cancel without penalty. Anyone have confirmation on this yet?

Last edited by WiscAZ; Jan 2, 19 at 8:08 pm
WiscAZ is offline  
Old Jan 3, 19, 8:39 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Live: DCA; Work: Everywhere; Play: LAS/AUA/MIA/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium/LTP (+UA Silver), National Exec Elite, mlife Noir
Posts: 4,532
Originally Posted by WiscAZ View Post
Really curious whether the no redeposit fee for exp applies to this or not. A flight Iím looking to book actually has some decent rates but I was only going to book if I had the potential to cancel without penalty. Anyone have confirmation on this yet?
of course it does/why wouldn't it
platbrownguy is offline  
Old Jan 3, 19, 12:35 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Posts: 1,738
Originally Posted by platbrownguy View Post
of course it does/why wouldn't it
When I went to book I got this statement "✝ Trips that include Economy Web Specials cannot be changed once ticketed. You can cancel your trip and reinstate miles, but fees may apply." Isn't totally clear on when fees won't apply.


WiscAZ is offline  
Old Jan 3, 19, 1:01 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Live: DCA; Work: Everywhere; Play: LAS/AUA/MIA/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium/LTP (+UA Silver), National Exec Elite, mlife Noir
Posts: 4,532
Originally Posted by WiscAZ View Post
When I went to book I got this statement "✝ Trips that include Economy Web Specials cannot be changed once ticketed. You can cancel your trip and reinstate miles, but fees may apply." Isn't totally clear on when fees won't apply.
Sure, fees apply to most members, but not to EXPs. I wouldn't read that as anything different. There's no exception, etc., in the information about EXP benefits: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...s-benefits.jsp
platbrownguy is offline  
Old Jan 3, 19, 1:11 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Posts: 1,738
Originally Posted by platbrownguy View Post
Sure, fees apply to most members, but not to EXPs. I wouldn't read that as anything different. There's no exception, etc., in the information about EXP benefits: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...s-benefits.jsp
Not trying to argue but this statement "Changing a date or eligible origin/destination on a MileSAAver or AAnytime award when using miles from your account" doesn't say anything about a Web Special. An Exp can book a basic economy ticket and doesn't get all the same benefits so I'm not totally sold without a data point that these have the same benefits.
WiscAZ is offline  
Old Jan 3, 19, 8:21 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Live: DCA; Work: Everywhere; Play: LAS/AUA/MIA/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium/LTP (+UA Silver), National Exec Elite, mlife Noir
Posts: 4,532
Originally Posted by WiscAZ View Post
"Changing a date or eligible origin/destination on a MileSAAver or AAnytime award when using miles from your account"
?

platbrownguy is offline  
Old Jan 4, 19, 2:14 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Posts: 1,738
Originally Posted by platbrownguy View Post
?
You're not understanding me. The new awards aren't specified anywhere in that picture.
WiscAZ is offline  
Old Feb 4, 19, 2:17 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,362


Can an Economy Web Special award ticket be canceled within 24 hours of booking without penalty?
boboqui is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: