Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"Economy Web Special" Award (dynamic price, fewer miles, more restrictions Oct 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Economy Web Special" Award (dynamic price, fewer miles, more restrictions Oct 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2019, 5:37 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I grabbed SAN-DCA for 5K in early december.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 7:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
JFK-PHX at 10k round trip all January.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM Hilton Diamond Bon Voy Lifetime Platinum Elite
My wife and I just picked up STL - EYW In early January for 5k each in both directions... great deal really... Hoping maybe we can even get upgraded...
Old Nov 7, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: Choice Hotels
I just booked LAW-LGA 10K r/t and OKC-EYW 10k r/t. Trying to book more but not sure how much work I can miss. Haha.

Just added OKC-PWM r/t for 10k with short connections in PHL each way. All E175/E190

LGA was selling for $400, PWM for $540, and EYW for $437, so these were good redemption values.

Last edited by thunderdeacon; Nov 7, 2019 at 11:22 am
Old Nov 7, 2019, 9:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by enviroian
Sorry, what's EOS?
The FlyerTalk Glossary contains some helpful travel acronyms, airline codes, airport codes, and many other items:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glos...tterSelected=E
EOS End Of Service
You can access it under HELP-->GLOSSARY, from the top of every page (it is 2 items down from RULES).
Old Nov 7, 2019, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
AA is using some VERY dynamic pricing with these.

Yesterday needed a last minute SNA-RDU award, found a great routing with 1 day advance for 8k. Finalized plans, signed back on an hour later and the same routing was 10k. Booked. Checked again, immediately after I booked it jumped up to 12k.

Some other random findings...searched RDU-LAX for my next trip out in December, in business RDU-PHL-LAX was pricing at 32.5k sAAver for any flights on the A330. So now it appears AA is treating these the same as the JFK-LAX/SFO transcons.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Are Web Specials just a way to restrict OW partners, or are they booked into Basic economy as well?

Thanks!
Old Nov 7, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Just last week I bought SWO-NYC for 25K round trip. Now, I can get pretty much the same itinerary for 15K. Not enough difference to make it worthwhile to change, but enough to feel cheated. My other trips I still need to get settled (a SWO-BOS, and SWO-MSP) are over 50K for the dates I want to travel and above 40K if I move dates around a little bit.

I feel like with AAdvantage I keep finding a way to lose.

The program is fully unhinged from the awards chart...
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 10:55 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I got a last minute $$$ LAX-SEA for 8k. Very happy about it!
Old Nov 7, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by 8mh
I think it's smart marketing.

This gets picked up by all sorts of forums, blogs, news outlets.

Obviously, only people with free time on their hands, who are also obsessively checking FT and the blogs every five minutes, have any chance of catching one of these.

But AA's got the word-of-mouth. Some people will even forget that dynamic pricing was a dramatic change for the worse and that, for the consumer, there's little value left in AA's program. (Especially if we put aside redepemptions on non-AA metal which interest only a subset of program members.)
You missed the sarcasm. My comment is in reference to the last time AA did this last week. Some long time <redacted> insisted these fares were errors.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31677015-post20.html

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 19, 2020 at 9:18 am
Old Nov 7, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: Choice Hotels
It makes business sense. Give away the farm on seats that are going to go unfilled, and charge out the wazoo on high demand routes/dates.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 11:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by skunker
You missed the sarcasm.
My bad. Non-native speaker here, I might have mis-interpreted the remark.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by yuel
Many routes across the USA for 5k, like nyc-lax, nyc-phx, orf-las throughout the summer
This isn’t new news. AA has had dynamically priced awards for several months now.

These aren’t mistake fares.

The 5k domestic fares have been around for months... the INTL NZ fare posted recently was more of an anomaly.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by Gig103
Are Web Specials just a way to restrict OW partners, or are they booked into Basic economy as well?

Thanks!
I was able to select MCE at booking on one of these Web Special redemptions. I’ve not flown on Basic before, but I think the Basic booking from Web Saver if that was the case would prevent MCE selection?

Great deal for short east coast jumps like LGA/DCA/PHL.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
I was able to select MCE at booking on one of these Web Special redemptions. I’ve not flown on Basic before, but I think the Basic booking from Web Saver if that was the case would prevent MCE selection?

Great deal for short east coast jumps like LGA/DCA/PHL.
The Web Specials have nothing to do with Basic Economy
LovePrunes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.