Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"Economy Web Special" Award (dynamic price, fewer miles, more restrictions Oct 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Economy Web Special" Award (dynamic price, fewer miles, more restrictions Oct 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
One more thing...

These web specials have, however, highlighted the value of EP/CK, because there's little risk to cancelling and rebooking at a lower price (unless you're within T-100/120h and your upgrade has already cleared (in that case, you'd lose the upgrade by re-booking at the lower price and would go back on the list).

I've had some web special upgrades booked within my upgrade window clear prior to ticketing. This is really great value and a rare bright spot in an elite program that has otherwise had quite a bit of devaluation over the past few years.
dciolli and seigex like this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 5:21 pm

I spent $300 to cancel 2 49K mile web special awards booked last month to SA and re-booked for 57.5K saaver award on business, which were not available last month.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by boboqui
I spent $300 to cancel 2 49K mile web special awards booked last month to SA and re-booked for 57.5K saaver award on business, which were not available last month.
Why $300, instead of $175? Did you not re-deposit both awards at the same time?
Old Nov 19, 2019, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Why $300, instead of $175? Did you not re-deposit both awards at the same time?
Yes, I also expected to to pay $25 for the second award cancellation, but when I asked the agent said that this does not apply to web special awards.

1. The reinstatement charge is $150 per account for the first award ticket. Additional award tickets reinstated to the same account at the same time will have a $25 charge per ticket.”
The awards were issued from different accounts.

Last edited by boboqui; Nov 19, 2019 at 5:11 am
Old Nov 19, 2019, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by boboqui
Yes, I also expected to to pay $25 for the second award cancellation, but when I asked the agent said that this does not apply to web special awards.

1. The reinstatement charge is $150 per account for the first award ticket. Additional award tickets reinstated to the same account at the same time will have a $25 charge per ticket.”
The awards were issued from different accounts.
I suspect that the problem was that the awards came out of different accounts, not that they were Economy Web Special awards.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Economy Web Special awards continue to baffle. A one way flight was $723 in Y, $752 in J and 8000 miles. I went from grimacing to laughing about the rounding error of miles needing.

I mean, is RM talking to the IT team at all?
Old Nov 23, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Has anyone had any trouble with these ticketing in a narrow timeframe? I booked a ticket this afternoon for my brother-in-law, who had an unexpected death in the family, leaving tomorrow morning. It's been four hours since ticketing and it hasn't ticketed. I called AA reservations an hour after purchase and was told it might take another hour to ticket. I called three hours later and was told AA has no access to the ticket, that it's "ticketed by the system", and that there was no way to expedite the ticketing process. I asked how AA didn't have access to an AA ticket and got a response of "What do you want me to do?", which was very thoughtful.

Does anyone know which part of AA *does* have the ability to touch Economy Web Special tickets, and how to contact them?
Old Nov 24, 2019, 12:31 am

Programs: AA EP
Sounds like BS. They can always call their help desk or ticketing directly

Originally Posted by steveholt
Has anyone had any trouble with these ticketing in a narrow timeframe? I booked a ticket this afternoon for my brother-in-law, who had an unexpected death in the family, leaving tomorrow morning. It's been four hours since ticketing and it hasn't ticketed. I called AA reservations an hour after purchase and was told it might take another hour to ticket. I called three hours later and was told AA has no access to the ticket, that it's "ticketed by the system", and that there was no way to expedite the ticketing process. I asked how AA didn't have access to an AA ticket and got a response of "What do you want me to do?", which was very thoughtful.

Does anyone know which part of AA *does* have the ability to touch Economy Web Special tickets, and how to contact them?
Old Nov 24, 2019, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

The first (and only) web special I've booked was for a flight about 20 hours out, and it ticketed in the normal timeframe, i.e. within about an hour. Lately it seems AA's ticketing queue can get backed up on weekends, which is what I'm guessing you're dealing with. I would HUCA.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Sounds like BS. They can always call their help desk or ticketing directly
They actually claimed that they could not contact the Help Desk or ticketing because Economy Web Specials couldn't be manually ticketed, only automatically by the system. I found this to be curious. After the agent asked "What do you want me to do?" when I had been extremely polite throughout the entire call (I used to work on the other side of these calls and learned how important is to be polite), I asked for a supervisor, who said the same thing and then said that if it didn't ticket within four hours, to contact AA web technical support.

I didn't think that made much sense, but given that I'd spoken to three people over two calls who had given me totally different times for how long it would take to ticket and what the recourses were if/when it didn't automatically ticket, as well as 30+ minute queues for even getting to an agent without AA status, I reached out to Twitter and they took care of it within five minutes.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 5:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Has anyone had any trouble with these ticketing in a narrow timeframe?
I booked two EWS trips about an hour ago for travel on Weds Nov 27 and Thurs Dec 5. Both ticketed within the hour.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 6:13 am

Is there a thread/list that shows all the current web specials available? I often let the deals dictate where I’m going to travel. Saw several specials to SJU this morning.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
Economy Web Special awards continue to baffle. A one way flight was $723 in Y, $752 in J and 8000 miles. I went from grimacing to laughing about the rounding error of miles needing.

I mean, is RM talking to the IT team at all?
Why would you complain about this? Hell of a deal IMO, we should enjoy these types of deals while they last.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Why would you complain about this? Hell of a deal IMO, we should enjoy these types of deals while they last.
I'm not complaining, merely commenting on the baffling lack of correlation.

I also somehow cleared my upgrades on this web special 48 hours in advance. So
Old Nov 26, 2019, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by nic3456
Is there a thread/list that shows all the current web specials available? I often let the deals dictate where I’m going to travel. Saw several specials to SJU this morning.
No, web specials are just AA's first take at dynamic pricing, sometimes they're great deals and other times they're horrible. They can change by the day/hour, so trying to keep up with a list would be a fruitless exercise.
nic3456 and TravelinSperry like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.