Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"Economy Web Special" Award (dynamic price, fewer miles, more restrictions Oct 2018)

"Economy Web Special" Award (dynamic price, fewer miles, more restrictions Oct 2018)

Old May 29, 2019, 9:22 am
Suspended

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30600724-post6.html

and then picked up in another thread in April
Old May 29, 2019, 2:20 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by ShadowRegent
The answer is that standby is fine, but SDFC is not possible.
I was told by an AA rep that standby is not fine. YMMV.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:54 pm

Web Special Award Question

I realize I can't make changes to my flight but how about if AA changes the flight times so that they don't work for me , are changes allowed then to a web special fare and if so will I have to pay the extra miles if my new flight costs more ?

AA changes all my flight times so I'm a bit leery but 13K miles R/T MSP/BDL on Memorial day weekend( 2020) is too good to pass up so I booked it. Thanks

Last edited by flyer4512; Jul 3, 2019 at 4:17 pm
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I dont know this for sure, but Id assume if the changes are material, you can change it. For what its worth, I do know (as I recently did it) that you can SDS/SDC on web special awards.

That is a great deal though... Far better than the 26k I just spent on a DFW-BOS one way LOL (though the cash fare was $500+ so its not as bad in that context).

flyer4512 likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by BOSishome
I dont know this for sure, but Id assume if the changes are material, you can change it. For what its worth, I do know (as I recently did it) that you can SDS/SDC on web special awards.

That is a great deal though... Far better than the 26k I just spent on a DFW-BOS one way LOL (though the cash fare was $500+ so its not as bad in that context).

Yes the ticket is $249 one way and I have a $150 AA voucher.............made no sense to use the voucher and pay $100 vs the 6500 miles

Since this was the only AA flight I will be booking before June 2020 the voucher will probably not get used
Old Jul 14, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Any first-hand experiences with standby on web specials?
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by uxb
I was told by an AA rep that standby is not fine. YMMV.
In response to an inquiry I submitted via aa.com, I got a voicemail this morning from AA confirming that elite AAdvantage members do get free same-day standby on Economy Web Special awards.

I'm saving that voicemail.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
Im not sure if something has changed in the last 7 weeks but I same-day-standbyed on SFO-DFW on a web special on Memorial Day.

Im flying on another web special ticket in a couple weeks that I intend to standby on so Ill report back then.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 9:53 am

Econonmy Web Special - Great value

I just booked four economy tickets OMA-LAX on a direct, non-stop flight both ways for 5k each in May/June next year. It came to $44.80 and 40,000 miles total. This is no fluke either. Flights are available on many other days with similar pricing. I had given up on AA in 2016 and 2017. Things have improved since but I never thought to get such value this day and age out of the program.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:01 am
Suspended

some more discussion of them here:
Old Jul 14, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
I can confirm Elite privileges are applicable for free standby travel on Web Specials as well as the free 24hr cancellation.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Not webspecial but I was flying a very expensive mileage ticket recently and an AC agent refused to put me on standby for an earlier flight citing I needed a voucher and had to call EXP desk.....a different agent in another club had issues putting me on standby as well but eventually got it to work.....the system was flagging me as a BE customer.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:56 am
uxb

Originally Posted by lrdpenn
Ive only had two experiences and didnt clear it in either case, so you might be wasting your time depending on status.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, Ex-AA EXP, HZ Pres, MRT AMB/LTP
Originally Posted by uxb

Ive only had two experiences and didnt clear it in either case, so you might be wasting your time depending on status.
Was this an attempt to an earlier or later flight?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:52 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by krakendown
Was this an attempt to an earlier or later flight?
Earlier. I ended up spending my 12 hour layover driving to Austin, picking up a chilled brisket from Franklins BBQ, then driving back to Dallas before boarding my flight back to New York.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.