Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"Economy Web Special" Award (dynamic price, fewer miles, more restrictions Oct 2018)

"Economy Web Special" Award (dynamic price, fewer miles, more restrictions Oct 2018)

Old Nov 7, 19, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
Are Web Specials just a way to restrict OW partners, or are they booked into Basic economy as well?

Thanks!
Not basic economy
I also suspect that if AA is making something available as a web special, there rae seats available for other OW carrier miles/points on these AA flights
Gig103 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 19, 2:06 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
What's happening!!! I have a wedding this weekend in CLT (out of LAX) and had supper cheap WN flights with Points through DAL and with loophole from MAX free changes. Even with that, I just booked LAX-CLT-LAX for 14,000 miles to depart tomorrow and return Sunday night, and I can avoid connecting in DAL both ways. I love WN free reinbursment of points and fee

Also got SNA-DFW-LGA for 6,000 in June and DCA-DFW-SNA for 5,000 miles. Booking the late flights so I can free stand by via AAdvantage Gold (only reason the million miler is worth it).
E55 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 19, 2:13 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
AA is using some VERY dynamic pricing with these.

Yesterday needed a last minute SNA-RDU award, found a great routing with 1 day advance for 8k. Finalized plans, signed back on an hour later and the same routing was 10k....
My answer to this one is, if you are not sure, put it on HOLD!!! Nothing beats the AA HOLD mode that allowed us to book the LAX-SYD-LAX flights for 5,000 AA Miles each way.

I put my LAX-CLT and CLT-LAX on hold last night and pulled the trigger when I was sure it was a good deal this morning vs. my WN bookings. Then, just waited 20 mintutes until they went from pending to tickted. After this happened, immediately cancelled WN tickets.
Old Nov 7, 19, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT, WN A List, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz 5*
Perhaps AA wants to boost their numbers on awards redeemed. I am sure they have some accountability to their main mileage partners of Barclays and Citi if not others.

We asked the AA partners to hold AA more accountable for the billions of miles awarded, but now we get these strange type of awards that may help a few people in economy, but not much else.
Old Nov 7, 19, 4:19 pm

Is this beginning of the end of SAAver? I see a web special at 22.5k economy, 50k anytime, no economy saver, but business saver for 25k, all on the same flight. Business is a no brainer here, but If I have to pay 22.5k in economy it should be a changeable award.
Old Nov 7, 19, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by rrgg View Post
Is this beginning of the end of SAAver? I see a web special at 22.5k economy, 50k anytime, no economy saver, but business saver for 25k, all on the same flight. Business is a no brainer here, but If I have to pay 22.5k in economy it should be a changeable award.
Yep, the writing is on the wall. I see tons of dates like this for various searches.
Old Nov 7, 19, 6:06 pm

Excellent availability from RDU

I am finding 5-6k RDU-PHX, SFO, SEA, SJC, and OAK.
Old Nov 7, 19, 6:25 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
My answer to this one is, if you are not sure, put it on HOLD!!! Nothing beats the AA HOLD mode that allowed us to book the LAX-SYD-LAX flights for 5,000 AA Miles each way.

I put my LAX-CLT and CLT-LAX on hold last night and pulled the trigger when I was sure it was a good deal this morning vs. my WN bookings. Then, just waited 20 mintutes until they went from pending to tickted. After this happened, immediately cancelled WN tickets.
Where on AA web site does it allow to book "hold" vs ticketed?
No availability 5k sea-sad, do you know of any other international routes going for 5k? I'm based SEA.

Last edited by euromannn; Nov 7, 19 at 6:32 pm
Old Nov 7, 19, 7:48 pm

"HOLD" is in the spot after you've entered dates where you'd enter credit card
info or other payment information.
euromannn likes this.
Old Nov 7, 19, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
Originally Posted by euromannn View Post
Where on AA web site does it allow to book "hold" vs ticketed?
No availability 5k sea-sad, do you know of any other international routes going for 5k? I'm based SEA.
I don't know of any international routes for 5k
euromannn likes this.
Old Nov 7, 19, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, National Executive
I just booked DFW-SAN for this weekend for 16K miles. I'll take it!
Old Nov 7, 19, 10:26 pm

Some people reported elsewhere getting Sydney -Auckland 5k but all sold out now. I did not
see it--but what a surprise for them.
Old Nov 10, 19, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton ♢, IHG ♢, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Pres
Just booked one of these. Transcon for 8k miles. 3.85 cents per mile. Great redemption. Now I'm liking my AA miles a little more than a few hours ago. This is a game changer imo. AA miles were so worthless before this dynamic pricing for domestic economy. But now we can actually redeem for things other than int'l business.

Last edited by TravelinSperry; Nov 11, 19 at 9:34 am
Old Nov 11, 19, 10:42 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Any way to set alerts for Economy Web Specials on Expert Flyer?
Old Nov 11, 19, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, accidental DL FO, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by flyertech007 View Post
Heres a good one! I booked 7 tickets on a web points special fare @ 16.5k one way sept 13th! I just checked and 7 tickets on the same web points web fare is 12.5k points!!!!
I had no idea it could go down! Anyone experience this and if AA would do the right thing for a lifetime Plat and credit the difference?
Why would that be the "right thing" for AA to do? They offer free cancellation/refunds to EP/CK, but not to PLT. You're free to pay the redeposit/rebooking fee if the math works better for you that way.

Would you also expect them to give you cash back if you booked nonrefundable revenue tickets and the price subsequently dropped? No, they'd be happy to rebook you at the lower price, but they'd expect you to pay a change fee.

Same principle here, and AA has been fairly up front (with giant warning notices during the booking process) that web specials can't be changed once ticketed.

Search this Thread