Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Drops Bose NR Headset for Bang & Olufsen (as of March 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2019, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread was for discussion of the switchover from Bose QC15 to B&O H9i noise reduction headsets on select AA longhaul flights in First and Business classes.

As these B&O headsets have been moved out through the fleet, there’s a new thread for further discussion, etc. relating to the B&O H9i “Beoplay” corded headset here: Bang & Olufsen H9i NR Headset Discussion, Issues (master thread)[

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA Drops Bose NR Headset for Bang & Olufsen (as of March 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by econometrics
Per this link, Bose is exiting the aviation market. This explains the choice of a new supplier.
JDiver, oopsz and aztimm like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cedric
Per this link, Bose is exiting the aviation market. This explains the choice of a new supplier.
This makes sense. What's surprising is that these B&O H9i headphones are 1) wireless, and 2) $499 retail everywhere. They will be watching these like hawks ;-)

According to their own website, they can support up-to 18 hours of play time, but I wonder if that is with the noise canceling feature turned on. Let's hope so for the DFW-HKG flight!
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
This makes sense. What's surprising is that these B&O H9i headphones are 1) wireless, and 2) $499 retail everywhere. They will be watching these like hawks ;-)
Great. So now they're going to be picked up 2 hours before landing.
ijgordon, wrp96 and SunkissedMommy like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teemuflyer

Wireless (Bluetooth) headsets for everyone in F/J? Is the IFE even capable of connecting??? Sounds like fake news to me.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thunderlounge
That being said, I'm testing out a pair of the Shure in-ear on an upcoming flight. Not necessarily because I'm looking for something better, I'm just looking to slim down as much weight/space in the travel department as I can. Or at least have the option when I need to do so, depending on what ends up in my travel pack.
I swear by the Shure in-ears. And I only have the "cheap" version. I usually have to turn the volume on the IFE down to/near its lowest setting. If you're okay with foam earplugs when you sleep, you'll probably fine these fine as well. I always used to just laugh at the business travelers fishing their huge Bose cases out of their bags. The Shure's take up almost no space. I still laugh at everyone getting their headphones taken away an hour before landing.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon

Wireless (Bluetooth) headsets for everyone in F/J? Is the IFE even capable of connecting??? Sounds like fake news to me.
Bose made a special version of the QCs for AA (having the ANC work when the headsets are plugged in, and not a power button like the consumer versions).

I'm sure BO will design a wired version for AA... since AA will likely be getting at least a few thousand of these for the longhaul fleet.
JDiver and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by econometrics
Bose made a special version of the QCs for AA (having the ANC work when the headsets are plugged in, and not a power button like the consumer versions).
Right, IIRC, the NC was powered by the "third prong", instead of a battery pack. I imagine that was also to discourage theft (i.e., they won't work properly off the plane), but I suppose it really didn't, or they didn't want to risk it.

I'm sure BO will design a wired version for AA... since AA will likely be getting at least a few thousand of these for the longhaul fleet.
That would make sense of course, also with the third powered-prong.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I swear by the Shure in-ears. And I only have the "cheap" version. I usually have to turn the volume on the IFE down to/near its lowest setting. If you're okay with foam earplugs when you sleep, you'll probably fine these fine as well. I always used to just laugh at the business travelers fishing their huge Bose cases out of their bags. The Shure's take up almost no space. I still laugh at everyone getting their headphones taken away an hour before landing.
My Etymotic sound blocking in-ears are great and, like yours, I can keep them in my shirt pocket.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Bose typically makes products that are mediocre and overpriced at best. These headphones are the exception, definitely the best product they make and one of the best in the market.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Same Headphones going to SQ "F"

The good people at AUSBT are reporting that SQ is getting the same headphones, but only for their F cabin. Something to be said for AA issuing these to J as well.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/suite-sound...tm_source=hero
JDiver likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:59 am

Would it be possible/practical to design something in the headphone and airplane bluetooth circuitry so that the headphones only work on airplanes with the special circuitry?

Last edited by richarddd; Sep 26, 2018 at 5:12 am
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: DL GM, AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
This is not just an AA issue or AA being cheap.

Bose is getting out of the business of directly selling headphones to airlines, so you’ll continue to see other airlines that previously used Bose seeking new suppliers.

Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by YtravelF
This is not just an AA issue or AA being cheap.

Bose is getting out of the business of directly selling headphones to airlines, so you’ll continue to see other airlines that previously used Bose seeking new suppliers.

If AA was being cheap, they definitely would not have selected B&O as their supplier. I have their wired headphones and I think they sound a lot better than any offering Bose has. I've never used their wireless so I can't speak to how the ANC is.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by richarddd
Would it be possible/practical to design something in the headphone and airplane bluetooth circuitry so that the headphones only work on airplanes with the special circuitry?
Guessing this would be very expensive (BT is an open standard, so you'd need to build something new) and wouldn't stop people from trying to take the headphones anyway.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Something-ist, Bombay Sapphire
Spotted this in LAX tonight between TBIT and T4. B&O headphones and stemmed wine glass?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.