Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Drops Bose NR Headset for Bang & Olufsen (as of March 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2019, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread was for discussion of the switchover from Bose QC15 to B&O H9i noise reduction headsets on select AA longhaul flights in First and Business classes.

As these B&O headsets have been moved out through the fleet, there’s a new thread for further discussion, etc. relating to the B&O H9i “Beoplay” corded headset here: Bang & Olufsen H9i NR Headset Discussion, Issues (master thread)[

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: CK or bust

Doug Parker announced at APEX Expo that American is dropping its relationship with Bose and switching to Bang and Olfson as also reported by Economy Class & Beyond. Roll-out is said to start sometime in the first two quarters of 2019 and could take some time to propagate system-wide.

How does that sound to you?

Update: As also posted on Twitter by JonNYC (direct link kept going blank) so it's that's about as solid as a source as you get.

Last edited by enpremiere; Sep 24, 2018 at 9:53 am Reason: Clarification and additional source
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
That's unfortunate.

As someone who owns both Bose and B&O headphones, Bose is far superior when it comes to comfort and better in noise cancellation as well.
JDiver and sailor279 like this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by DWFI
That's unfortunate.

As someone who owns both Bose and B&O headphones, Bose is far superior when it comes to comfort and better in noise cancellation as well.
Be that as it may, AA is offering headphones that are pretty much far superior sound quality to just about any other airline out there, J or F.

Gotta give kudos where it's due.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Wonder if they will be as strict as collecting them as they are about the Bose.
Michael D, prw555 and 355F1 like this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:14 am

I'm reserving judgement until we see how the new ones turn out, as I do think the Bose stock was definitely showing it's age. I felt an increasing number were having issues with the cables, battery, etc..., so there's definitely positives with replacements.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Bose has a lengthy history with noise reduction headphones, dating back to when they made headsets for pilots that reduced engine noise and allowed much clearer communications with ATC. This deep experience imbued the product with comfort over the ear and effective noise reduction for continuous wave sound sources.

It will be interesting to compare the B&O product.

The original Bose Series 1, vintage 1989.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
Bose has a lengthy history with noise reduction headphones, dating back to when they made headsets for pilots that reduced engine noise and allowed much clearer communications with ATC. This deep experience imbued the product with comfort over the ear and effective noise reduction for continuous wave sound sources.

It will be interesting to compare the B&O product.

The original Bose Series 1, vintage 1989.
I didn't know that JDiver was going for the Andre Agassi look (see previous post image).
Dedicated likes this.

Last edited by enpremiere; Sep 24, 2018 at 12:25 pm
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Will be interesting to find out which headphones AA will go with.
JDiver likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I haven't used B&O but I've never seen their name associated with noise cancellation on any blogs or review sites. So, I don't expect this to be for the best but we'll see.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
Be that as it may, AA is offering headphones that are pretty much far superior sound quality to just about any other airline out there, J or F.
Delta's are terrible. I had to take them off after 5 minutes, my ears were getting sweaty. That said, I almost exclusively use my Shure in-ears, they're so much less obtrusive and block out the noise at least as well.
Mowee likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
find by me, I dislike FA demanding my Bose when they think they belong to AA
ijgordon, cynicAAl and Michael D like this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP/*wood Plat/Hilton Gold/Hyatt Discoverist
BYO (Bring Your Own) is just so much better. Problem solved before, during, and after the flight...
DataPlumber, BLG, MrJBoy and 8 others like this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Gig103
I haven't used B&O but I've never seen their name associated with noise cancellation on any blogs or review sites. So, I don't expect this to be for the best but we'll see.
I have a B&O sound system in my car and it is pretty nice. I'd imagine their headphones would be nice too.

The whole headphone collection thing though is just silly. I've flown on AY and CX this year so far (QF soon). Headphones are in the box next to the seat, and you leave them there after you're done. Not sure if AA had an issue with theft or what. I certanly couldn't imagine the CX FA's going through the cabin and asking for headphones.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by aztimm
I have a B&O sound system in my car and it is pretty nice. I'd imagine their headphones would be nice too.

The whole headphone collection thing though is just silly. I've flown on AY and CX this year so far (QF soon). Headphones are in the box next to the seat, and you leave them there after you're done. Not sure if AA had an issue with theft or what. I certanly couldn't imagine the CX FA's going through the cabin and asking for headphones.
Agreed. It's all a bit pointless when they distribute the headphones an hour after takeoff and collect them an hour prior to landing. The fact that they have three prong plugs makes them unusable anywhere other than on a plane anyway.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aztimm

As there must be a credible reason, I've extended AA's practice to car rides, asking the small, toddler-sized backseat occupants in my car to hand over any headphones 60 minutes before we arrive at our destination on long car rides. That will surely set the proper tone for any future AA flights
GWFan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.