Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Drops Bose NR Headset for Bang & Olufsen (as of March 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2019, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread was for discussion of the switchover from Bose QC15 to B&O H9i noise reduction headsets on select AA longhaul flights in First and Business classes.

As these B&O headsets have been moved out through the fleet, there’s a new thread for further discussion, etc. relating to the B&O H9i “Beoplay” corded headset here: Bang & Olufsen H9i NR Headset Discussion, Issues (master thread)[

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA Drops Bose NR Headset for Bang & Olufsen (as of March 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Gig103
I haven't used B&O but I've never seen their name associated with noise cancellation on any blogs or review sites. So, I don't expect this to be for the best but we'll see.
The technology for noise reduction in the range of human hearing is very mature. Any decent electronics company can do this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by blitzkriegs
BYO (Bring Your Own) is just so much better. Problem solved before, during, and after the flight...
I do this. Although I use theirs for the manority of the flight, then switch to mine with a couple hours left in flight to conserve my battery.

Will be testing a pair of Shures on an upcoming flight.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by Gig103
I haven't used B&O but I've never seen their name associated with noise cancellation on any blogs or review sites. So, I don't expect this to be for the best but we'll see.
They certainly don't have as much history in the NC sector as Bose but the Beoplay H8i are B&O's NC offering. They're a really nice headphone but I've never used any in an arena where I've had a chance to test their noise cancelling capabilities. I wonder if the AA headphone will be a new, wired option since the Beoplays are wireless and Bluetooth.

I do own a few B&O products, mostly for aesthetic purposes and find some of their products variable. My mother's Audi has a B&O system which I don't really rate but the one they used to have on the previous generation Mercedes S Class was excellent. I don't buy as much B&O stuff as I did a few years back but they used to be excellent for the most part even though they have a lot of Phillips stuff under the hood.

https://www.beoplay.com/en/products/beoplayh8i
JDiver likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The technology for noise reduction in the range of human hearing is very mature. Any decent electronics company can do this.
Someone tell that to LSTN (the ones that are supplied in DeltaOne cabins).
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:41 pm

Not a bad thing at all; B&O makes some really good kit
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:24 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
There are a lot of reviews of the new Sony WH-1000XM3 that suggests it is better, at least equal, to the equivalent Bose BUT ... there is a big BUT, in that which premium flyer wants to use a Sony product?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:39 am

Programs: Avios, Mileage Plus, Elevate, Skywards
I’ve owned a couple of Bose in the past and were quite satisfied with them. I recently tried the new Bose QC35, Beats Studio 3 and Sony WH-1000 XmII (that was a lot to type) and I ended up taking the Beats. The quality has increased over the Studio 2s that I tried a while back and I was not impressed with the QC35s. I get more noise cancellation/isolation with the Beats than the QC35s. I feel the quality has taken a dip as opposed to the old QC3s. The difference between the Sony’s and Beats were much more difficult. I suppose I chose the Beats because of color options, more bass and being a product of Apple. I really wanted to try out the B&O products but it was difficult to find them to test and the nearest store was in Beverly Hills. Too damn far for me for $399+ headphones. If an airline offered Beats, I think that’d be pretty cool.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:18 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Since I prefer to watch my own Ipad rather than some of the rubbish on the scrren (this is not restricted to AA). or the appalling quality of the screens on BA, I use my Bose. These are now approaching retirement, and I am thinking of replacing them. B&O usually are very beautiful, very sleek, and very very expensive pieces of equipment in and out of the home. Why they should switch from Bose is beyond me. It was because of using them on AA and liking them so much that I bought them and one of the few things that I not not allow my husband to claim as his territory. They are mine, not ours.
Beachfun71 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by wrp96
Wonder if they will be as strict as collecting them as they are about the Bose.
This, for me, the the least premier things AA does in not only collecting them in an hour of so before landing (so much for gate to gate TV) but the sometimes aggressive way the FAs demand the earphones and the case back is just unnecessary.

Yes these are expensive kit but there are ways of doing things that doesn't make passengers feel like they are looked upon as potential thieves.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
This, for me, the the least premier things AA does in not only collecting them in an hour of so before landing (so much for gate to gate TV) but the sometimes aggressive way the FAs demand the earphones and the case back is just unnecessary.

Yes these are expensive kit but there are ways of doing things that doesn't make passengers feel like they are looked upon as potential thieves.
Agree 100%. Much rather take a little less quality headphones and use them gate to gate and not be accused of stealing a headset every now and then.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alanslegal
There are a lot of reviews of the new Sony WH-1000XM3 that suggests it is better, at least equal, to the equivalent Bose BUT ... there is a big BUT, in that which premium flyer wants to use a Sony product?

Having been burned (not literally) several times by various Sony electronics products, I don't even consider the brand anymore.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:12 am

I have the sony 1000 whatevers mentioned upthread a few posts. No complaints, and I really like them. Was going to get the Bose, but the sony's sounded great, had great cancellation, and I picked up 2 pair for 1/2 off last year. It was the Saturday after Thanksgiving, and they still had the Black Friday sticker on the shelf. They honored that price, so that was nice.

That being said, I'm testing out a pair of the Shure in-ear on an upcoming flight. Not necessarily because I'm looking for something better, I'm just looking to slim down as much weight/space in the travel department as I can. Or at least have the option when I need to do so, depending on what ends up in my travel pack.
JDiver likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by Austin787
Will be interesting to find out which headphones AA will go with.
It's the H9i, it seems: https://apex.aero/2018/09/24/america...hips-apex-expo
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

They could build the headphones into the seat. No potential theft, gate to gate IFE for the passengers, and less work for the FAs - everyone wins.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Austin787
They could build the headphones into the seat. No potential theft, gate to gate IFE for the passengers, and less work for the FAs - everyone wins.
half would be broken within the year. It's truly astonishing how poorly people treat the pullout remotes. Couple this with AA being unlikely to fix them on a daily or weekly basis, I'll take the hour-before collection.
wrp96 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.